Well i've taken my gap year now and here comes the season of auditions and interviews, i'm planning on going to do a Foundation Degree in music performance for my first 2 years and then converting it into an Honours degree on the 3rd year.

A lot of colleges/academies ask you to play 2 contrasting pieces followed by some kind of theory test etc.. i'm sure there will be a few of you that have already been through this/will be soon..unless you're all young guns!

There's a few things i'd like to ask though and i'd prefer people who've been through these auditions/are going through them to answer because they'll know best. In my next audition i have to play my own two contrasting pieces, no covers. So do any of you have any recommendations as to what level of difficulty/style i should play? I was thinking metal and jazz, though my audition may be as soon as May 22nd...so i'm going to have to rush my creative edge a bit.

I've also been asked to supply a "Career Portfolio" what the hell am i meant to include in that? =s.

It's a popular music performance course that i'm applying to.

Cheers to anyone who replies!
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
I think metal and jazz would be a good plan.

I'm surprised they haven't asked you to do some sight reading aswell.

For your portfolio they will probably want to hear recordings you've done, gig's you've played at that kinda stuff. Just add everything you've done with music over the last few years (unless thats a huge amount, if so narrow it down to the best stuff you've got to show).
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I wish my university asked for originals. I'd pick classic rock over metal. The judges aren't supposed to be biased but it might increase your chances of acceptance to play a genre that's easier to listen to. Remember that some of the judges might be significantly older and you know what they say, 'if it's too loud then you're too old.'

Which instrument?
I haven't got a great deal of my guitar playing documented...or on record for that matter, i've played waaaaaaay more gigs as a drummer.

Though yeah, i'm going in as a guitarist, it's probably still my main instrument regardless of band situations.

I know what you mean with the whole classic rock > metal thing with the guys that might be auditioning me..i'm just not really into classic rock too much and i feel that i could show more ability and enjoy it more if i played metal.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Contrasting usually means like slow/fast; lyrical/technical

They can be the same style of music, probably the kind you like to play.
Quote by Anarchy_Ant
I haven't got a great deal of my guitar playing documented...or on record for that matter, i've played waaaaaaay more gigs as a drummer.

Though yeah, i'm going in as a guitarist, it's probably still my main instrument regardless of band situations.

I know what you mean with the whole classic rock > metal thing with the guys that might be auditioning me..i'm just not really into classic rock too much and i feel that i could show more ability and enjoy it more if i played metal.

Then play metal. Don't let the judges opinions stop you from playing the kind of music you like, because you will most likely play better in a style you enjoy.
Don't let the judges opinions stop you from playing the kind of music you like

The judges opinions are somewhat important.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Nick_
Contrasting usually means like slow/fast; lyrical/technical

They can be the same style of music, probably the kind you like to play.

Are you sure?

Then again it's fine, i like to vary genres in my playing anyway. Do you guys advise recording a backing track or some thing too? I think for the metal one, a small solo may be in order, though i'll keep it relatively simple. It'll probably be slightly progressive too, so it's not just gonna be completely metal.
--Stephen Roberts
Ah just had some great news, i'm able to play one of my own pieces and/or a cover, phew!

I'm thinking about Overture 1928 or Pull Me Under by Dream Theater, though any suggestions are welcome. Then i think i'll compose a softer more jazzy style piece.
--Stephen Roberts
At least the scientists admit the big bang is a theory. What about you lot and your "God" idea?!

Unrelated nitpicking: A theory is a well supported explanation for a phenomenon, not a guess.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yeah, i know. I was supporting the big bang theory there. The point is that religious people don't even admit that the idea of a God is an idea, they see it as fact.

Opinions on the songs? XD If you've heard them that is.
--Stephen Roberts