Ok i am having major trouble playing the intro. It is too bloody fast!

||--------------------------------------------------
||--17-18-17-15-17-15-----15-17-15-----15
||*--------------------------18-------------18
||*-------------------------------------------------
||--------------------------------------------------
||---------------------------------------------------
Ok, so when i switch to the g string on the 18th fret, my pick just smaks into it when i want to hit it with a down stroke. In othr words, when i am am moving my pick from the b string to the g string getting ready to hit the note, i sort of have to lift my pick up and over the b string and then hit the note. This is ok at about 100bpm, but the damn thing is played at 210bpm.

If anyone knows how to play this lick properly, first of all, respect. Second of all, can you give me advice on whether my picking technique is correct or or any other advice into how to make this easier. I do realise i can play it on just the b string if i want to, but that is cheating, since petrucci plays it the 2 string way.

Anyway THANKS!!!!!!
play it slow and master it, then increase your tempo by 10 bpm etc until you can play it at full speed.
ohai little sig.
Economy picking would help a bit, not much though.

Don't think of it as cheating by playing it on one string. Whatever gets the job done. You don't have to play it Petrucci's way, play it whatever way feels comfortable. It's always good to tackle your weaknesses, but in this particular lick, using two strings seems inefficient.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Demonikk
play it slow and master it, then increase your tempo by 10 bpm etc until you can play it at full speed.

I've found that that often leads to a mental block as you get closer to the target tempo. I'd say that you should get it clean at lower tempos and increase by a few bpm, but that you should try to play it all full speed, however sloppy, between the tempo intervals. This just gets your hands used to moving faster.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
It took me a while to learn Paradigm shift. I had the same problem. What I found works best is to first slow it down to a more manageable speed. Then manipulate the riff a bit so you don't have to change strings. Just play all of it on the B string. I won't sound right but it will get you fingers used to the movements. Then after you get that, manipulate it again so every third note or so is on another string. Just play that over and over until you can do it without thinking. Then put the riff back to its original form and play it over and over. Once you can do it perfectly 5 times in a row at a slower speed, increase the tempo a bit. Then just keep doing that until you get to full speed.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Prophet of Page
but that you should try to play it all full speed, however sloppy, between the tempo intervals. This just gets your hands used to moving faster.

+1

In addition, giving it a shot at full speed every now and then will make playing at slower bpm seem easier. A lot of guitar playing is mental.
Quote by fixationdarknes
+1

In addition, giving it a shot at full speed every now and then will make playing at slower bpm seem easier. A lot of guitar playing is mental.

Ah, yes, I love doing that. I often find I can play it at full speed after spending about 5 minutes playing the lick repetitively. Once your muscle memory fully absorbs the pattern, it gets much easier. Especially if fast playing like that isn't new to you. I find a lot of songs with fast sections are very easy for me to pick up just because I practice playing fast quite a bit.