I have played guitar for a couple of years and am looking to extend my musical expertise into other instruments. I have been looking at a fender mandolin starter kit and banjo starter kit. Any recomendations etc.? I play blues and classic rock. Basics i should know etc. Prices? Australia
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi
Do it once, it's a mistake.

Keep doing it, it's Jazz.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
But does anyone know how dodgy these things are and also how easy they are to learn? I do have experience with guitar and bass.
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
Go with the banjo. I bought a mandolin for $50 from Musician's Friend before I got my banjo, and my interest in the thing was very brief. It might be because it's a Rogue pieceof**** model, and can't hold tuning worth a damn, but it just isn't a very versatile instrument.

Then, for Christmas, I got a GoldTone tenor banjo (because I'm Irish and felt I had to?) and it's amazing. I wouldn't recommend the tenor (4-string) banjo right off the bat, but GDGBD banjos are some of the funnest instruments to play. Not to mention it's really easy to make them sound good when you first pick one up.
Banjo fingerpicking is fairly easy, depends if you want to do breaks or not. And <3 for the irish tenor banjo, thats the first one I got.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Banjo + corncob pipe FTW.

But seriously, fingerpicking a banjo isn't as hard as a guitar, and alternatively, you could just alternate pick the hell out of it and make it sound like fingerstyle.
You guys mean fingerpicking with a thumb pick eh?
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I play the 5 string banjo, mandolin, and acoustic & electric guitar. I would say banjo, but then again I've been playing for a few years and really like the instrument.

Out of the three instruments (banjo/mandolin/guitar) IMO banjo was the hardest one to learn the basics. You pretty much have to use 2 metal fingerpicks and thumbpick to learn to play the 5 string banjo properly. It takes a while to get down that syncopated rolling technique that sounds like a "machine gun" when playing rhythm. And tons of Bluegrass songs are really fast and it will be tough to play up to speed for a while. The shorter 5th string takes getting used to especially because it has to be capoed differently than the other 4 strings and is generally used as a drone string with no melody notes. The chords and licks are generally easier on a banjo though. The banjo is very acoustically loud & obnoxious and happy soundng, it's almost impossible to make an unhappy or dark sound on it. They are tuned to open G too ... so just strum the strings and you are playing a G chord. There are also tenor and plectrum banjos and you strum them with picks, but they are more limited in what musical styles can be played on them. Most banjo players play 5 string banjos. It's worth mentioning that you have to pay quite a bit to get a really good sounding banjo. You need a bronze tone ring, a 3 ply or block wood rim, and good fit and finish for a banjo to really have great tone. None of the lower priced banjos sound very good, although you probably won't hear the differences in tone until playing for a while.

Mandolin is even easier than banjo or guitar to learn the basics. They are very lightweight and portable but they are a major pain to keep in tune. You can learn to chop G,C,D, & Em chords and a couple of simple strums and immediately be able to play along to thousands of Bluegrass and folk songs. You'll be surprised how loud mandolins are acoustically for such a small instrument. You can get a very cheap mandolin that still sounds decent. But they are probably just as hard as banjo or guitar to get good at ... I just think the basics are easier to pick up. If you already know the guitar and bass you would pick up the mandolin faster than banjo, but I think playing banjo is more fun. Good luck.
Banjo all the way ^^.
I tend to regret that I didn't start playing banjo instead of guitar xD.
Basicaly...
Banjo gets all the chicks and loks really bad ass.

Mandolin looks like a douche. But can totaly shred harder than the banjo player and he knows it (look up Bill Monroe. Probebly the best bluegrass mandolin player ever)

But yeah. All bluegrass is is (most of the time) the same 3 chords in every song. (and in G if I'm not mistaken??)
I dunno, I'd pick banjo. It's just really bad ass, and if you get the finger picking good enough, people will melt when they hear it.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol