ive been playing for 10 months and so far the only solos i can play are the solos to iron man, paranoid, dont cry, and runnin with the devil. ive tried harder ones like symphony of destruction but i just cant seems to do it. what solos can i practice or what techniques can i practice(dont say tremolopicking) to get better. and i havnt taken lessons so dont say scales or anything like that plz.
You can find scale box patterns on this site, at least get to grips with the minor pentatonic scale, it's the most common and easiest scale to write solos in.

The notes in blue are ''blue notes'', if you play these with the scale it can sound bluesy.

For techniques practice you bending and try to incorporate slides into solos. Maybe even learn to pinch harmonic?

Easy songs can be found here
Last edited by Horlicks at Apr 30, 2008,
^ Basically the 6 horizontal lines are the strings and the vertical lines are the frets
You would play it like this:
--------------------------------5--8----
--------------------------5--8-----------
-------------------5--7------------------
-------------5--7------------------------
------5--7-------------------------------
-5-8-------------------------------------

The shape can be moved up and down the fretboard to play in different keys e.g:
G:
--------------------------------3--6----
--------------------------3--6-----------
-------------------3--5------------------
-------------3--5------------------------
------3--5-------------------------------
-3-6-------------------------------------

B:
--------------------------------7--9----
--------------------------7--9-----------
-------------------7--9------------------
-------------7--9------------------------
------7--9-------------------------------
-7-10-----------------------------------

etc.
How are you learning if you have no teacher, can't read tabs, and it appears you can't read music either, and are out and out refusing to learn scales and tremolopicking?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
How are you learning if you have no teacher, can't read tabs, and it appears you can't read music either, and are out and out refusing to learn scales and tremolopicking?

Well I had not teacher and couldn't read tabs... However now I can do both, I can teach beginners and can read tabs and music.. Seems to me that I have succeeded..

mustaineNslash:
If you want it so hard, listen... Try to focus, huh? try to play something you don't even know.. It'll come sooner or later..
Guilty as charge
Gear:
Ibanez RGT42BP (pimped)

Amp:
Ibanez Toneblaster 250

Other:
Tremolo from Boss
Footswitch to Toneblaster 250.
Korg AX3000G
dude i can read the horizontal tabs so shut up man. you were new at some point. i cant aford lessons. i have no one to teach me so i learned everything, EVERYTHING, by MY SELF. tuning, stringing, how to read tabs, etc. etc. so show some respect. your probably one of those rich sheltered kids who has their mommy and daddy to pay for everything. i know how to tremolopick by the way, i just thought it would be a common answer and would take up space. to those of you who are helping me, thank you.
Quote by mustaineNslash
ive been playing for 10 months and so far the only solos i can play are the solos to iron man, paranoid, dont cry, and runnin with the devil. ive tried harder ones like symphony of destruction but i just cant seems to do it. what solos can i practice or what techniques can i practice(dont say tremolopicking) to get better. and i havnt taken lessons so dont say scales or anything like that plz.

Well, Tremolo picking is FAIRLY important the way I play

Heres a nice easy solo that will really get your fingers and brains moving together. Sycronization is key. And judging from your username, you should know this solo.

Sweating Bullets. It really isnt that hard. Plus, it has most everything in it. It has the crazy descending action (Which, is gonna be hard to match speed, but, dont worry about speed), then the mid section with some hammers and pull offs, working the fretboard, and then some final palm muting action and to cap it all off a crazy high bend on the 22nd Fret.

Sound fun?
Quote by mustaineNslash
dude i can read the horizontal tabs so shut up man. you were new at some point. i cant aford lessons. i have no one to teach me so i learned everything, EVERYTHING, by MY SELF. tuning, stringing, how to read tabs, etc. etc. so show some respect. your probably one of those rich sheltered kids who has their mommy and daddy to pay for everything. i know how to tremolopick by the way, i just thought it would be a common answer and would take up space. to those of you who are helping me, thank you.

I just asked a simple question, and you took that way? I'm not even gonna dignify that with a response. Good day.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by brandon_
Ok if you really want to learn a solos first off you go into daddys closet, pull out his favorite gun, load it, then kill yourself.

Its very lol

... How are you still here? I've never seen you help anyone. All I've seen from you are rude, senseless remarks.

TS, I would strongly suggest you learn some theory. Look here on UG for some beginners lessons. It will help your soloing abilities immensely. Also, some techniquies to practice would be sweep picking (this tends to take more time and patience than most other techniques), tapping, hammer-ons and pull-offs... just to name a few. And keep working on Symphony. It's a great solo to know.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mustaineNslash

I never took lessons either, so stfu before i speed up your metabolism.
Quote by mustaineNslash
i cant aford lessons. i have no one to teach me so i learned everything, EVERYTHING, by MY SELF. tuning, stringing, how to read tabs, etc. etc. so show some respect. your probably one of those rich sheltered kids who has their mommy and daddy to pay for everything.

Here, let me help you down from that cross; it must be uncomfortable up there.

You aren't special in that respect so shut up.

Go to the lessons section of this website and start reading; you can never know too much.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
He is right, you should consider that reading some theories and stuff.. Take lesson on the internet. It helps, No one can advance much without reading, having lessons, listening to the music and etc.
Guilty as charge
Gear:
Ibanez RGT42BP (pimped)

Amp:
Ibanez Toneblaster 250

Other:
Tremolo from Boss
Footswitch to Toneblaster 250.
Korg AX3000G
Quote by mustaineNslash

To be honest you're doing extraordinarily well if you can play those solos after only 10 months, however you can't automatically play everything you want. The learning curve bottoms out pretty fast, the first few months are really slow, then there's a spurt over a few months when things start to gel and theres very noticeable improvement...however after around a year you develop much more slowly. Some things are going to be harder than others, and all you can do is practice. Play things slowly so you can get them perfect and gradually build up speed over time. Just bear in mind that you're not going to be playing at blinding speeds overnight, it takes years.

Don't just learn solos though, spend some time simply learning to play the guitar...learn your chords, practice basic techniques, work on your rhythm chops, train your ears and learn some basc theory. Like Zaphod said, you can never know too much.

And stop whining, I taught myself to play too only I didn't have the benefit of near-limitless free tabs and the ability to ask a question and have somebody on the other side of the world tell me the answer within minutes...just think about that for a second and realise how fortunate you are.

[EDIT]wha...how old is this thread???
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by guilty
He is right, you should consider that reading some theories and stuff.. Take lesson on the internet. It helps, No one can advance much without reading, having lessons, listening to the music and etc.

Why did you bump this? It's from April!

APRIL!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
well if u refuse to scales well good luck but you wont get to far without scales
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Quote by mustaineNslash

maybe that is what you need to learn...
Quote by mustaineNslash

Phail. Stop flaming.
^ Basically the 6 horizontal lines are the strings and the vertical lines are the frets

lol is that all there is to scales?
moveable notes in the same form?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by Horlicks

lol is that all there is to scales?
moveable notes in the same form?

no