Im venturing out to buy a new guitar and i have norrowed it down to two great guitars:

Ibanez RG4EXQM1 and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Now i play every thing, from classic rock (my fav) to some light metal, to classical finger picking stuff, to jazz, and about everything in between, now i am trying to choose which one is the best for me i love both equially after playing them for hours upon hours at guitar center, and all that time just made it harder and harder to choose, so basicly i want a guitar that has amazing clean tone, distortion and sustain, and very versital and great quality.

Thanks in advance. ^.^
Ibanez- at the most you may WANT a pickup change you don't NEED one though
Epiphone can be abit iffy if you don't get the better models in my experience
I guess Les paul would suit you better...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I have the RG4EXQM1 and it is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But then again I'm a shredder and extremely biased to super strats and I do not dig Les Pauls at all. But for the styles you listed a Paul is the more common choice.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
that you will buy Epiphone... ? I like the Ibanez a lot... Buy Epiphone..
Guilty as charge
Gear:
Ibanez RGT42BP (pimped)

Amp:
Ibanez Toneblaster 250

Other:
Tremolo from Boss
Footswitch to Toneblaster 250.
Korg AX3000G
ACTUALLY....... Kinda strange here

I personally have the RG3EX1, and LOVE it. IIRC, The RG4 has the Edge III on it, so, as some will point out, you may want to be careful (As it could easily be more of a hassle than good. Are you gonna actually use the thing?) Personally, I'd say its built like a TANK (I've banged it into a million things, not a scratch on it! Also, there suprisingly versitile I find.

Also,

My cousin has a Epi LP Double Cut (Well, thats what it sure looks like.... Though, I've never seen mention of a Epi version of one.) I've played it a little bit, and it just didnt have the same quality feel to it. I just dont like it. The neck isnt as bad as somepeople make it out to be, but, meh. Also, After having the guitar for 2 weeks (Though, he bought it off a friend of his who's a drummer for CHEAP! (And had someone who plays guitar pretty well look at it, and it is fine!) The pickup selector went whacky. Just needed shifting around though to correct it, but still, not good.

Personally though, I hace no issues with the LP or RG shape, no preference. However, from what I experienced, Go with the Ibanez.
Quote by Empty Box
ACTUALLY....... Kinda strange here

I personally have the RG3EX1, and LOVE it. IIRC, The RG4 has the Edge III on it, so, as some will point out, you may want to be careful (As it could easily be more of a hassle than good. Are you gonna actually use the thing?) Personally, I'd say its built like a TANK (I've banged it into a million things, not a scratch on it! Also, there suprisingly versitile I find.

Also,

My cousin has a Epi LP Double Cut (Well, thats what it sure looks like.... Though, I've never seen mention of a Epi version of one.) I've played it a little bit, and it just didnt have the same quality feel to it. I just dont like it. The neck isnt as bad as somepeople make it out to be, but, meh. Also, After having the guitar for 2 weeks (Though, he bought it off a friend of his who's a drummer for CHEAP! (And had someone who plays guitar pretty well look at it, and it is fine!) The pickup selector went whacky. Just needed shifting around though to correct it, but still, not good.

Personally though, I hace no issues with the LP or RG shape, no preference. However, from what I experienced, Go with the Ibanez.

Forgive My ignorace, but what is "an edge III"
Quote by MrGoodyear812
Forgive My ignorace, but what is "an edge III"

Tremolo. Whammy Bar. Sissy Stick.

Personally, If you dont plan on using it, I'd say drop down, save some money, and get the 3EX without one, or something else. Its only gonna prevent you from changing tuning (Though, from your music you listed your probably not changing tuning as much as I do)
les paul would be my choice....but im also a fan of ibanez
Amen...Oh Wait....
Im Getting Dizzy....
My Bad.....
go to the shop and try them both.

take the one YOU like the most.

no one else can tell you which guitar is appropriate for YOU as no one else is YOU.
Thank you please.
he said he likes both equally so he must be looking for other people's opinions

i've always wanted an LP but i really do like my RG. i think the LP would be better suited for jazz and classic rock though. LP's are always nice for some light metal too.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
I would go for the Ibanez. I've owned Epi' LP's and traded it for a RG. Ibanez are better made guitars IMO
ESP ltd Viper 500s
Ibanez - RG 321 (EMG 81 / 85)
Ibanez K5 (original model)
Ibanez AEL acoustic

. . . . .. . . .
id get an ibanez, but a fixed tail, not an edge 3 one, save some cash that u could put towards pups
Quote by gebgebgeb
he said he likes both equally so he must be looking for other people's opinions

i've always wanted an LP but i really do like my RG. i think the LP would be better suited for jazz and classic rock though. LP's are always nice for some light metal too.

Which has the better fret access? I was going to get a Les Paul until I realised how awful it is for top fret access.

Personally I'd go for the Ibanez (that's what I'm saving up for), but try the guitars out first. You might even find that neither of them are the guitars for you.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
The Edge III bridge on the non-prestige RGs is supposed to be dodgy - I don't have any experience with that myself though (or any FR type bridge).

For classic rock a LP would be more authentic.

Either guitar would be great with a pickup change. Have you looked at the Ibanez S series?
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
well, to be honest, i havent really toyed around with an LP long enough to look into fret access but i have played a few LP models. my buddies LP has no where near as good as fret access as mine. i can reach all the way up to the top fret with absolutely no problem.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
id go for the Epi. the RG4 is an amazing guitar (i have one myself) but i use it for pure shred and maybe a little alternative. if you want a good jazz or classic rock tone the Les Paul would be much better. even if it is an Epiphone *cough* *piece of ***** no really for the money Epiphones arent actually that bad....
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT