I saw a Peavey XXX 212 combo in a local shop for under $700. I liked the sound of it, but the Ultra channel sounded weak compared to the Crunch channel and didn't have much more gain.

I know this would be a lot better for me than the Fender I have now, but the Ultra channel sound worries me. Is this how the amp is voiced or is something wrong? Would it be worth haggling or having them repair it?
It might just be a problem with the tubes or something of the sort. The Triple XXX is supposed to be a pretty high gain amp. I'm gonna have some hands on experience with one tomorrow, I'll report back afterwards.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Keep in mind that the Ultra channel has an active EQ while the Crunch channel has a passive EQ. The Ultra channel is going to be much more sensitive and take more time to dial in. Going by your description that the Ultra channel barely had more gain than the Crunch channel, the tubes need to be replaced. The Ultra channel has more gain on tap that anyone could need. You shouldn't need to turn the gain past 11 o'clock for a tight rhythm tone.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Keep in mind that the Ultra channel has an active EQ while the Crunch channel has a passive EQ. The Ultra channel is going to be much more sensitive and take more time to dial in. Going by your description that the Ultra channel barely had more gain than the Crunch channel, the tubes need to be replaced. The Ultra channel has more gain on tap that anyone could need. You shouldn't need to turn the gain past 11 o'clock for a tight rhythm tone.

The Crunch channel had a lot of beef, the Ultra just seemed to remove that beef.

I will swing by there and see if they'll re-tube it at no cost, or drop the price. Which tube brand should I ask for?