#1
I put a new board in my amp because I cracked the old board,
I was wonder and this might seem retarded, can you be electrocuted slowly through time through your guitar, cause I'm no electrician and I did it myself(It works fine by the way)
XBL Gamertag:thor7861
message me you're from UG first

I can't think of anything to put here


#2
If you installed the board successfully, I'm assuming you probably have a working multimeter? Plug the amp into a grounded AC outlet and with the power off (on your amp) measure the DC resistance from the AC ground at the outlet (use the cover screw for this) to the chassis of your amplifier. The reading should less than a few ohms. You can also turn on the amp and with the meter set to measure AC Volts measure again from the outlet's ground to your amp chassis. The readings should be less than 1VAC. All this means your amp is safely grounded. As for getting a shock from your guitar, it receives it's ground reference from the amp. The guitar ground usually runs to the bridge/tailpiece so your guitars strings are also grounded. If you are holding your guitar and touching its strings and you contact another piece of equipment (ie. microphone or another persons guitar/bass) and it's on a different ground or floating (not grounded) you can get shock from the difference in potential voltage. This is much less common in today's modern wiring where most receptacles are 3-prong (grounded). You can buy an outlet tester from a hardware store which will test out outlets for proper wiring and grounding (>$15.00)
There is a safety mod you can do to your guitar to prevent excessive shocks if you play in older, poorly wired venues. A series resistor is installed in place of the ground wire from (one) your control cavity's pots to the bridge/tailpiece. This would limit the shock you'd get. 60KOhms would limit a 120VAC shock to about 2 milliamps would would let you know there's aproblem but couldn't knock you on your ass.
Last edited by KenG at Apr 30, 2008,