So I'm in the market for a portable battery operable practice AMP. I've looked at the Vox DA5 and the Roland MicroCube and they're both within ten dollars of each other.

The question becomes which is better.

The DA5 has better effects control as it has tap and a knob, but the MicroCube allows you to use reverb/delay with the modulation effects.

At the same time, the DA5 has more effects.

As for the AMP types? The microcube has clearly defineable amp types whereas the DA5 has more types, but they're simply labeled "High Gain 1" "High Gain 2" etc.

The microcube boasts on its description 20 hours of battery life on 6 AA batterires. I have yet to find the battery duration for the DA5 but it requires C batteries, which are a bit more expensive than AA.

And lastly, the DA5 comes with a power supply, whereas the microcube would require the purchase of one that costs around fifteen dollars.

The DA5 also has some edit buttons that I have no idea what they do...

So, what do you guys think is truly the superior portable practice amp?
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
I have a DA15 and a Microcube. I can't comment on the battery life or anything for the DA5... but I can say that on the whole, I find the effects tone and playability of the Vox "multi" system much better. The Roland is nice, but the Vox gives you a lot more tone control and a much more quality sound.
It's a toss up. It really comes down to your preference. They are both good amps for practice/portability. I liked the vox better but that's just my preference. Both are loaded with effects and reliable. There was a thread a week back where a guy was trying to destroy a da5 and it beat him, hilarious. Good luck.
The big question here is; what music do you play?
The da5 is aimed at a more classic rock/blues sound, the microcube on the other hand is like it's bigger brothers aimed at metal. I would say that the r-fier channel is the microcube's biggest asset, so if you only play low to medium-gain music you should choose the da5.
Well I play every genre. Which is why I need something versatile. Any other facts/things to know?
Blackstar HT-5

Quote by Guitarmike123
The big question here is; what music do you play?
The da5 is aimed at a more classic rock/blues sound, the microcube on the other hand is like it's bigger brothers aimed at metal. I would say that the r-fier channel is the microcube's biggest asset, so if you only play low to medium-gain music you should choose the da5.

yeah, i agree. you could could pull off more classic rock/bluesy tones with the VOX and for the Microcube is aimed towards slightly heavier stuff.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
I'm like you... I play a bit of everything. I play blues, funk, rock, metal, etc... I've found that the DA gives more versatile tones for each genre. It may not be as "awesome" as the r-fier on the roland... but it is much more versatile and pretty close. Like I said, I have both a DA and a micro. And I rarely play hte micro unless I need batteries (DA15 doesn't do batteries.)
By "doesn't do batteries" do you mean that it's life span is weak on batterires, or...?
Blackstar HT-5

I have played them both and I found the Microcube to sound a bit more digital. I really like the bluesy/softly overdriven tones the Vox puts out also, but whether that appeals to you or not depends on what you like to play.
Quote by CrushedCan

And lastly, the DA5 comes with a power supply, whereas the microcube would require the purchase of one that costs around fifteen dollars.

The microcube does come with a power supply too. I can tell because i have the Microcube. And BTW, is an AWESOME practice amp.

This vs topic have been done to death, the general criteria is:
DA5 for clean tones and the Microcube for lead tones.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS