Hey huys, i am definetly not new to down picking, i do it alot but a minor problem has occured.

The last couple of months ive learnt some Trivium stuff wich requires alot of fast alternate picking and triplets and stuff and ive decided to go a bit more agressive and learn some lamb of god

Theres a couple of riffs in Hourglass and Laid to rest that sound incredible down picked, im ok playing the songs a couple of times but by the third time playing through when i downpick my arm just gives up. I get a pain near the top of my arm near the shoulder and a slight pain at the wrist.

Question is, Is this due to bad posture or bad technique ?? OR am i just gona have to put some more hard work and and gain more stamina ??

Sorry for the big read :P

Thanx alot guys, much love x
dude ?? have you ever had a casual coversation while having sex??

male:
" so erm .. wot do you think of bbc1 ?"
female:
" AAHHHH SH*T !!!! SH*T !!!!! "

Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.

HAHAHA ^^^ :P

yeah i play the same kind of music and i get the same results some times.

have you heard 11th hour by lamb of god? i think its around 200 bbm. most people alt pick this but it's definitely supposed to be all down picked.

i've found that if you play it slow and eventually work your way up to speed, you shouldn't really get any pain.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
John Petrucci says: Always stretch before you play and he's very good at trem picking and downpicking
Use your wrist not your arm.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Yeah, too aggressive maybe?? Take it slower and build up the muscles in your wrist, because it sounds like your compensating by using the whole arm and the larger muscles, which is now starting to affect the tendons. If it hurts then you should stop. In fact knowing that it is going to hurt by the 3rd time then stop before that and move on to something else. It would suck to injure yourself and not be able to play at all for a while. If you still want to get through the song then why not do it with alternate picking?? Just because it doesn't sound as awesome doesn't really mean anything when its just you practising, and it may ease up the tension in the arm.
Quote by SupremeACL

good advice.

Keep your wrist loose, this will help alot
ESP ltd Viper 500s
Ibanez - RG 321 (EMG 81 / 85)
Ibanez K5 (original model)
Ibanez AEL acoustic

. . . . .. . . .
I don't understand the obsession with down picking...I play the same style music and down picking sounds better on open palm muted notes, but when I'm laying down riffs I use alternate picking. I can play songs like that, including 11th Hour, with down picking but I can't tell a difference, so I just alternate pick b/c it feels more natural...I actually think palm muted triplets sound better using alternate tough I do always use a down-up-down pattern for every triplet...

To answer the question, just practice man...I couldn't play LoG to save my life last year, but I just practiced the songs at a slower tempo until I got it full speed. Now I can play pretty much anything.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Apr 30, 2008,
really? ive always thought that downpicking on muted notes sounds tons better. i thought thast why metallica always down picked

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
It's just my opinion...don't see the point in down picking on triplets or galloping...most times its so fast you wouldn't be able to tell how it was being picked
oh yeah of course, i alt pick triplets and stuff. but when its just like chug chug chug i down pick it so it sounds more consistant.

idk lol

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
Quote by SupremeACL

+1 unless you play punk of course
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Make sure you arent cramping/tensing up the muscles in your arms. Focus on keeping everything loose, if you cant do it with out tensing up a bunch slow it down cus you are just gonna end up having sore arms. And yes, use your wrist, not your whole arm.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
at first, using your wrist takes a little getting used to. i used to use like a combination of my wrist and my arm. now that i've practiced using my wrist, its much easier to play metal.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha