So I cut out my template for my guitar which is gonna be a Les Paul and I realized after measuring again that I screwed up somewhere. The distance from the bridge to the 12th fret should be the same as the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, but I have a extra 1/2 inch on the bridge to 12th fret side.... So my question is will that extra half inch screw up the sound of the guitar? I did a little researching and read that the distances are equal so that the node/anti-node of the vibration in the string is over the pick up, but I'm not quite sure if thats true....
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
depends if u are making ur own neck or not. Id say it would be easier to try to get it to the right scale as if you mess up ur neck u can get a les paul scale one. But if u are buying a neck of a spesific scale then yess it will screw up the inotation i think not sure someone can correct me there
The Merchant Of the Resident Evil Club
]

Quote by hminh87
What is that big hole at the neck joint for?

Quote by Hoodoo Child
the neck?
Your intonation is gonna be screwed up.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
I already have the neck/fretboard made to the guitar specifications but i havent made the body yet... so luckily i screwed this up on the template which i can make another one of even though that sucks. Thank you for the help... I'll make a new one that is equal on both sides.
templates arent that hard to make... just do it over.

if your original intent was to make a 24.75 scale and it's off by 1/2" then you'd have to make a neck with a 25.25" scale ... actually it would be more like 25.2 because of T-O-M compensations and what-not... if you wanted a 25.5" scale make a baritone
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by forsaknazrael
Remember to measure from nut to fret every time.

What I did was order a fretboard from stewmac and then used a blueprint for a LP guitar. However the size of my actual guitar body is a little smaller than the guitar in the blueprints and thats what screwed me up and threw me off. I'll have a new template up in just a couple of days... its kind of a bummer because I dont own a band saw or any major tools so i'm always mooching off of people i know that own the stuff so thats pretty much the only down fall of doing it over.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
templates arent that hard to make... just do it over.

if your original intent was to make a 24.75 scale and it's off by 1/2" then you'd have to make a neck with a 25.25" scale ... actually it would be more like 25.2 because of T-O-M compensations and what-not... if you wanted a 25.5" scale make a baritone

Now I feel like im getting confused... are you saying I have to adjust my scale if im using a TOM?
if you're making a neck you could adjust the fret spacing for the mistake... if you're buying a neck you're SOL
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology