Poll: Reverend Wright's Statements were...
Poll Options
View poll results: Reverend Wright's Statements were...
Can't comment/didn't watch
36 30%
Racist and offensive.
43 36%
Benign. The guy's a preacher, what do you expect?
14 12%
Truthful, for the most part.
26 22%
Voters: 119.
Page 1 of 2
I actually watched all of his NAACP conference, and the press club, and his sermons. The only thing I heard that was out of line was the comment about AIDS which he yanked from some books he read.

We did invite the 9/11 attacks through our foreign policy, not because of the decadence of our society or our freedoms

Black people have gotten consistently screwed when it comes to access to education, police presence, access to city services, access to home loans (even government ones dating as far back as the 40's).

The judicial system is super racist (white rates of drug use are higher than whites yet black incarceration rates for drug crimes are far higher, among other stats)

What exactly pisses people off so much?

Edit: this thread would be better with a survey... Done and done.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Last edited by bullets34 at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by bullets34

For me it's wasps.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
what people are really upset about is that there is someone so outspoken and un politically correct
Quote by Kensai
For me it's wasps.

That was either a clever socio-economic group based joke, or a typical pit statement. Either way it was funny. *tips hat* Well done good sir!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
i like him beacuse he upset every1

their just trying to find something on Obama and this is it
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
Quote by bullets34
I actually watched all of his NAACP conference, and the press club, and his sermons. The only thing I heard that was out of line was the comment about AIDS which he yanked from some books he read.

We did invite the 9/11 attacks through our foreign policy, not because of the decadence of our society or our freedoms

Black people have gotten consistently screwed when it comes to access to education, police presence, access to city services, access to home loans (even government ones dating as far back as the 40's).

The judicial system is super racist (white rates of drug use are higher than whites yet black incarceration rates for drug crimes are far higher, among other stats)

white people hide their drug use better, that's all.
Quote by IwannaBeSadated

I would have any sort of sex with any sort of animal.

Quote by cheese_weasel
That was either a clever socio-economic group based joke, or a typical pit statement. Either way it was funny. *tips hat* Well done good sir!

The first one

<.<
>.>
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Fat people that complain about fatty foods.
People that associate a certain race with a sterotype.
Wiggers. (the "american" version of the chav or whatever)
Parents that shelter and baby their kids.
Teachers who can't teach.
Hippocrites.
Certain races that complain about their current situation. I know, blaim the white people.
*ringing in at my all time favorite*
Those who are irrational and make stupid comments just to conform to the cliche nature of what this world has started to become. I praise those of you who take a stand, speak your mind and do what you want.
People that lack even the basic common sense.

Thats what pissed me off you nappy-headed hoe.

^see what i did there?
Quote by Kensai
The first one

<.<
>.>

O RLY?!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Quote by Kensai
For me it's wasps.

hahaha, that made me laugh, made my day that did (i have had a pretty boring day) thanks Kensai!!!
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
he basically said he hates america and everything that happened to the black people that's bad was because of america. you can have your opinion on everythign and all but if you're living in my country you don't need to talk bad about it and be all for africa. if africa is so good then go live there. he just doesn't realize all the good things in america. oh and i don't think religion should even play a factor in determining who is president. that has nothing to do with running a country.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by riffmasterjosh
he basically said he hates america and everything that happened to the black people that's bad was because of america. you can have your opinion on everythign and all but if you're living in my country you don't need to talk bad about it and be all for africa. if africa is so good then go live there. he just doesn't realize all the good things in america. oh and i don't think religion should even play a factor in determining who is president. that has nothing to do with running a country.

Well, that may be so, but what did he say that's wrong besides the AIDS thing? He also didn't say anything about africa being great to my knowledge, and africa isn't a country. You still haven't addressed the existence of structural racism in our system that pisses him off so much.

Is it possible to criticize american government policy angrily without being said to hate america?

Seriously, watch the full press conferences.

ps. this dude served 2 tours in vietnam. :-/
Quote by bullets34

Rev. Wright is just another wanna be Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton. They are radical lefts who are double standard, reverse discriminative, retards. They blame the dysfunction of the Black Community for the past half century. Wright is just the 21st Century version of Jackson and Sharpton.

Wright and Company just refuse to accept that it may just be the black community's fault that they aren't getting anywhere.
I mean, the Black Radicals have no full and conclusive evidence that it is the white community's fault, although they play it out to be as such. For instance, they constantly bring back the 2 century old topic of slavery. And if that isn't enough, many of the radicals demand that their community be reprimanded for the "damages inflicted upon our/their ancestors".

And to counter argue their points, it's not like there hasn't been a successful black person. There has been many politically successful ones.

So, Wright was wrong, immorally and politically, this country would be better with out extremists like him.

Quote by bullets34
white rates of drug use are higher than whites yet black incarceration rates for drug crimes are far higher, among other stats

Maybe it's because White people aren't retarded enough to get caught
Last edited by lt hopkins at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by cheese_weasel

It's Kensai, it's an outwardly pit statement, but inside, it is a subliminal political statement cause Kensai's from the government.
Quote by bullets34
Well, that may be so, but what did he say that's wrong besides the AIDS thing? He also didn't say anything about africa being great to my knowledge, and africa isn't a country. You still haven't addressed the existence of structural racism in our system that pisses him off so much.

Is it possible to criticize american government policy angrily without being said to hate america?

Seriously, watch the full press conferences.

ps. this dude served 2 tours in vietnam. :-/

it's all a matter of perception. i'm not denying or doubting there is racism in our system and yes you have a right to be angry. and also the media does blow things out of porportion. i'm just sick and tired of this affirmative action and if something even remotely racist happens to black people it's a huge deal but for everyoen else it's not. idk
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
He was an ass but I don't think anything he said was particularly out of line.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
[history lesson]
You can blame black people for their misfortunes. It's all a huge chain of events that dates back to slavery. When slavery ended a lot of the former slaves went to the cities to find jobs because they didnt have money to start up a farm.

The white people there that owned businesses did not want to hire blacks because they were racist, and even the nonracists didnt hire them because they didnt want to lose their business from arrogant shoppers or racists to burn their store down. So, blacks didn't get good jobs.

So they had no choice but to eventually sell drugs. They turned to gangs and such and big organizations were formed. Good schools weren't made because they figured all the innercity kids would just turn to the gangs.
[/history lesson]

So, ya.

It's the white man's fault.

(I'm white btw.)
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
it makes me mad, but i really don't care if anyone's racist, so long as they don't actually do anything to anyone. i don't think people should freak out about what the preacher said, but i think it's a bad idea to vote for Obama, seeing as how he went to church there for a while. actually, it's a bad idea to vote for him in the first place.
i think he's a retard for condemning what Reverend Wright said. he went there for twenty years or whatever it was (?), obviously he has no problem with the guy and agrees with him, the only reason he's condemning him is because there's an election. Obama ftl.
If you watched that, and are familiar with any of his previous sermons, you can't help but be pissed off.

He's one of the most blatantly racist people I've ever seen, but he's so quick to cry racism, and say that all black people's problems are the fault of whitey, and that we invented AIDS to kill blacks.

And no, those attacks were not "invited". Those were innocent people that were killed on 9/11. They had aboslutely nothing to do with our foreign policy.

TS; What the hell, man?
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by lt hopkins

Ignorance like this is why America and the world is its current position.

Edit: Just so everyone knows, I do not agree with what Rev. Wright said at all. He was too quick to blame everything on the white man.
Quote by diditfortehlulz
If you watched that, and are familiar with any of his previous sermons, you can't help but be pissed off.

He's one of the most blatantly racist people I've ever seen, but he's so quick to cry racism, and say that all black people's problems are the fault of whitey, and that we invented AIDS to kill blacks.

And no, those attacks were not "invited". Those were innocent people that were killed on 9/11. They had aboslutely nothing to do with our foreign policy.

TS; What the hell, man?

They had nothing to do with your foreign policy in the same way that the attacks on Dresden had nothing to do with Germany's foreign policy. I.e. they had everything to do with your foreign policy.

Agreed with the HIV thing though, that was pretty dumb.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by bullets34
White drugs = Pharmies readily available through more legitimate means.

Oxycontin, various other pain killers...

The poor in general (and there are more poor blacks than poor whites, percentage-wise) use drugs that you have to get through the black market exclusively.

Conclusion? Black people get caught.

College students, doctors, lawyers, etc. have friends in high places, no pun intended.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by bullets34

Maybe it's because blacks sell them all to whites?
This account may be a multi, but you can't prove it
:P
Quote by Meths

Agreed with the HIV thing though, that was pretty dumb.

Well, the government did experiment the with the effects of syphills on black men. Look up Tuskegee Experiment. I think hes wrong, but its not like the government hasnt done some messed up things to blacks.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Quote by frottage
it makes me mad, but i really don't care if anyone's racist, so long as they don't actually do anything to anyone. i don't think people should freak out about what the preacher said, but i think it's a bad idea to vote for Obama, seeing as how he went to church there for a while. actually, it's a bad idea to vote for him in the first place.
i think he's a retard for condemning what Reverend Wright said. he went there for twenty years or whatever it was (?), obviously he has no problem with the guy and agrees with him, the only reason he's condemning him is because there's an election. Obama ftl.

you do realize that Reverend Wright doesn't just spew racist comments for the entirety of his sermons, don't you? the majority of each sermon is spent talking about god, not his political views. Obama already clarified that he associates with the message of God that Wright preaches, and not with his extreme views on American race relations.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by lt hopkins
Rev. Wright is just another wanna be Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton. They are radical lefts who are double standard, reverse discriminative, retards. They blame the dysfunction of the Black Community for the past half century. Wright is just the 21st Century version of Jackson and Sharpton.

Wright and Company just refuse to accept that it may just be the black community's fault that they aren't getting anywhere.
I mean, the Black Radicals have no full and conclusive evidence that it is the white community's fault, although they play it out to be as such. For instance, they constantly bring back the 2 century old topic of slavery. And if that isn't enough, many of the radicals demand that their community be reprimanded for the "damages inflicted upon our/their ancestors".

And to counter argue their points, it's not like there hasn't been a successful black person. There has been many politically successful ones.

So, Wright was wrong, immorally and politically, this country would be better with out extremists like him.

agreed, it makes me sick to see Al Sharpton on TV screaming "RACISM!" every other day. there might just be the possibility that it was the minority who was arrested actually deserved it, but to them that possibility doesn't exist.

and

honestly think about it, which group of people weren't put under slavery or some sort of involuntary servitude at some point or another? just because your people were wronged in the past does not mean it's imperative to bring it up again and again, the same goes for the Jews and the Holocaust but lets not get off topic here....

i also love how a black person can be "proud to be black" but a white person can't be "proud to be white" because it's racist.

/rant
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
i also love how a black person can be "proud to be black" but a white person can't be "proud to be white" because it's racist.

/rant

Well that would be to do with connotations. The Black Power movement developed to try and fight for the rights of oppressed black people. Black Pride is about cherishing "black culture" and so on. White power/pride was about the oppression and inferiority of other racial groups and forcing "white culture" on everyone.

So it's quite different.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by lt hopkins

My words exactly... seriously my word you thief
The guy's an idiot, he needs to be quiet. Stuff he said was just stupid, of course some of his stats might have SOME credit, but the word statistic gets tossed around so much, people start to think that just because it is a statistic it is correct.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by sixstringsteve
you do realize that Reverend Wright doesn't just spew racist comments for the entirety of his sermons, don't you? the majority of each sermon is spent talking about god, not his political views. Obama already clarified that he associates with the message of God that Wright preaches, and not with his extreme views on American race relations.

yeah, but if the preacher repeatedly makes comments like that, then you stop going. he kept going, so obviously he has no problem with it.
Quote by Meths
Well that would be to do with connotations. The Black Power movement developed to try and fight for the rights of oppressed black people. Black Pride is about cherishing "black culture" and so on. White power/pride was about the oppression and inferiority of other racial groups and forcing "white culture" on everyone.

So it's quite different.

so what if i view being "proud to be white" cherishing my white European culture?

i already know and understand what you're saying, but each phrase means the exact same thing from all points of view, being ethnocentric, which i have no problem with, but why should black people be ethnocentric and not get reprimanded for it but white people can't be ethnocentric without being reprimanded for it?

not that i really care to be quite honest but it's just a thought
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
He's an idiot.

End of story.

Quote by frottage
yeah, but if the preacher repeatedly makes comments like that, then you stop going. he kept going, so obviously he has no problem with it.

tolerating his views are not the same thing as agreeing with them. He is friends with Wright because Wright has been a part of his lifelong religious experience. Just because he has radical views doesn't mean that Obama should reject him from his life. That would be an extremely ignorant and intolerant move on his part.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
These people are a scourge on humanity.

Wright = White Supremacists = Islamists = any other ethnocentric wack anywhere.

Generally they have a low IQ and use religion to gain power.

Quote by Waterboy799
so what if i view being "proud to be white" cherishing my white European culture?

i already know and understand what you're saying, but each phrase means the exact same thing from all points of view, being ethnocentric, which i have no problem with, but why should black people be ethnocentric and not get reprimanded for it but white people can't be ethnocentric without being reprimanded for it?

not that i really care to be quite honest but it's just a thought

It's not to say they can't, but it's hard to tell what someone means when they say it. If you view being "proud to be white" as cherishing your european culture, fair enough, but realise other people probably won't realise that's what you mean if you say "white pride".

As I said before, black ethnocentricity developed for a different reason i.e. standing up together against oppression and made no comment on whether one group was better than another. White ethnocentricity was concentrated on the inferiority of other ethnic groups and developed for no reason other than ignorance and hatred.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by diditfortehlulz

Dude... you do realize that when we throw our military into countries we kill loads more than 4,000 people at a time, right? In Iraq alone there have been between 200,000 and a million civilian deaths because of our invasion, and the reign of the Shah (the most relevant historical figure in this debate) is the fault of the CIA and British intelligence.

What happened on 9/11 was awful and morally repugnant. I don't want to denigrate that. I literally feel like crying whenever I watch video of the towers being hit (I have relatives who lived in the blocks surrounding the towers, and the stories they tell are so sad), so I've stopped watching them. But the fact is that the people who attacked us were not crazy and did not hate us for our freedoms. They hated us because we have troops all over the world and especially in their holy land, they hate us because we unflinchingly support Israel, and they hate us because we have directly intervened in their governments in the past.

The people they attacked had nothing to do with that directly, yes. But our government did. They were pissed off and religious, a bad combination.
Page 1 of 2