Hey everyone,

I'd like for you guys to answer, what scale/scales are the solos in Ozzy Osbournes' Mr. Crowley are based from ?

And if thats a "wrong" question to ask, please feel free to tell me, so I would avoid making dumb mistakes like that again.

Cheers.
Quote by Dizzy-D
Hey everyone,

I'd like for you guys to answer, what scale/scales are the solos in Ozzy Osbournes' Mr. Crowley are based from ?

And if thats a "wrong" question to ask, please feel free to tell me, so I would avoid making dumb mistakes like that again.

Cheers.

If I remember right its D minor.

There are no "wrong" questions..... just jerks in forums that like to tell people they are wrong. It would be unwarranted here though as asking what scale a solo is in is a perfectly appropriate question.
Quote by GuitarMunky
If I remember right its D minor.

There are no "wrong" questions..... just jerks in forums that like to tell people they are wrong. It would be unwarranted here though as asking what scale a solo is in is a perfectly appropriate question.

You're wrong!

Yep, D minor. Randy uses lots of interesting notes throughout (don't remember the exact scales), but the rock-ish repeated licks like the one at the beginning of the first solo are in D minor pentatonic.
I think on the fast picking part theres use of dimished or semi dimished chord scale, no sure which one but im certain that there is a dimished part.
And the rest is on D minor
man thats cool... ill have to check into that because im a big R.R. fan and i love how he combines metal/rockin roll with his classical backround...
but i know he uses alot of melodic and harmonic scales that sound badass.
hes good with his chromatic scales to...

heres a link i have saved its all i got for now...
hope it helps a little...

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/soloing_strategies_randy_rhoads

There's a lot of D Minor Pentatonic, especially the bluesy/rock stuff. The more exotic and unusual stuff is D Natural Minor and D Harmonic Minor. Randy also throws in some diminished stuff, though the notes are probably contained in the D Harmonic Minor scale.

I forget the progression, but I remember him using Em7b5 and A major along with some Dm and probably C and Bb (can someone post the progression?). Over Em7b5 and A, he does a lot with the D harmonic minor scale. Why he does this is probably beyond you at this point, but I'll try to explain it if you're interested.
Hey check it out, there are nice people haning out at this forum after all, thanks for all the great replies. Oh and bangoodcharlote, most of the stuff you said in that post is "beyond me at this point" but I do want to one day be way good at music theory and say confusing stuff like that ^_^.

Cheers.
Quote by GuitarMunky

There are no "wrong" questions..... just jerks in forums that like to tell people they are wrong. .

awwww i think he's talking about me

seriously though, D minor like everyone else has said.
Quote by Dizzy-D
Oh and bangoodcharlote, most of the stuff you said in that post is "beyond me at this point"
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't mean to be confusing.

Please ask a question about what you don't understand. Make sure you actually use a question mark somewhere because, "I don't get it," is difficult to respond to.

Quote by z4twenny
I'd go with Arch.

"You're not ready for modes."
Quote by z4twenny

seriously though, D minor like everyone else has said.

LOL no I wasn't referring to you, or anyone in particular really. ( ok, well maybe a few people....lol )

BTW TS: Im pretty sure its straight up D minor pentatonic / D natural minor

Ill have to listen to it again, but I dont remember Harmonic minor, or anything like that in there.

Also learn the solo if you can. Thats really the best way to get acquainted with what he did.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Ill have to listen to it again, but I dont remember Harmonic minor, or anything like that in there.
I just looked at the tab and there's not as many C#s as I originally thought.

Still, when you see an A chord in the key of Dm, D Harmonic Minor is the standard scale.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I just looked at the tab and there's not as many C#s as I originally thought.

Still, when you see an A chord in the key of Dm, D Harmonic Minor is the standard scale.

Yeah ofcourse, Im just not sure if he used it.... he may have but im hearing a D minor pentatonic lick over that (in my head I dont have the CD around ).
Anyway I could be wrong but Im pretty sure its mostly straight up D minor pent and D natural minor.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Anyway I could be wrong but Im pretty sure its mostly straight up D minor pent and D natural minor.
It is mostly those, but he uses the C# note a bit. Whether that is chromaticism or harmonic minor, I'm not sure, but it's probably not worth discussing.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It is mostly those, but he uses the C# note a bit. Whether that is chromaticism or harmonic minor, I'm not sure, but it's probably not worth discussing.

it might be. I'll take a look at it. I need to learn that 1 anyway. Ill come back and argue with you later.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I need to learn that 1 anyway.
What? Harmonic Minor?

No arguments tonight. I have to prepare for my final lectures (see the "Kirk Hammett's scales" thread).
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=849787