I figure maybe itll work here better. And yeah its a serious thread. >_>

What the hell. Ive learned modes, freaking scales, studied tons of the wankers and shredders and virtuosos' songs, and I STILL cant play a stupid 3 note per string run. Some days I dont want to play slow, give-a-name-to-each-note, conservative solo. Some days I want to exceed the daily note limit, I want to stroke my guitar schlong, and just shred my heart off. What the hell do I need to do to be able to make quick 3 note per string runs ala Yngwie/any other shredder? Please help UG!
do the 1-2-3-4 daily to your last fret. then do 4321, then 123, then 321, then 124, 421, 134, 431, and all the variations you can find of that excersice. It helps you a lot.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by insideac
What the hell do I need to do to be able to make quick 3 note per string runs ala Yngwie/any other shredder?

practice.

but I'm sure you already knew that.

if you hadn't added the 'and yeah this is a serious thread' I'd have assumed you were taking the piss. I'm still not too sure though.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Just shred man, just shred!!!

Seriously, though, don't rush it.

One thing to do is to record yourself, then listen to it, see what's going on, hear what's happening. Sometimes you just might amaze yourself.

Remember the cardinal rule of gaining speed, go super slow. You can get to where you want by not going slow, but you'll regret it (don't make my mistakes). Take your time, the best thing you can do is to take it slow.

Just pick up that guitar and play man, it WILL come to you, trust me!!!
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
Just shred man, just shred!!!

Seriously, though, don't rush it.

One thing to do is to record yourself, then listen to it, see what's going on, hear what's happening. Sometimes you just might amaze yourself.

Remember the cardinal rule of gaining speed, go super slow. You can get to where you want by not going slow, but you'll regret it (don't make my mistakes). Take your time, the best thing you can do is to take it slow.

Just pick up that guitar and play man, it WILL come to you, trust me!!!

Ok. Time to clear some things that you guys arent understanding.

-I know enough scales, some modes
-Speed is not a problem, ever.
-I need to learn how to WRITE/improvise 3 note per string runs. That means how to get from one passage to another, or random wanking.
-I already know alot of finger exercises, and that has nothing to do with this.
-Ive studied many runs and still cannot figure out WHY they play those notes.

Good day.
Quote by insideac

-I need to learn how to WRITE/improvise 3 note per string runs. That means how to get from one passage to another, or random wanking.

Good day.

This doesn't clear things up too much for me (of course, I'm piss tired).

Here's my best shot, though.

3 note per string runs are based almost always off of a scale, usually a major, minor, harmonic, etc. In lots of cases you are just running up portions of the scale.

Obviously, it's not restrained to a scale, but it's a good starting point. If you want to write or improv these, the best way to do it is to practice. I actually set aside a part of my playing to break down runs into two string lines. Basically I play a scale two strings at a time, and repeat it a few times before the next position. It gets you used to transitioning your fingers, and it gives you ideas of how to transition, and where to transition to.

I'm still kinda shady on this, so I'm sorry if it doesn't help. If it's not what you want, put up some example, some tab, or a video, and I can help you out.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
you can't have studied their songs too hard if you haven't figured out that the notes they play are based on whatever mode their using.
From what I've learnt from my compositions etc, doing a basic run up a scale will produce very little musically. going up a few notes then bringing it back down, then going up a few more is the most effective way of building a hardcore run that functions to build tension and sound musical. Then theres the rythmn, most of the time the notes are flying by so fast its hard to pinpoint a particular note in a run, but using dynamics and rythmn you can emphasize notes and create much more intresting 'picking scenarios' than in a straight 16th triple run up and down. The rythmn goes for the backing track as well, your run has to fit that, or if you have ideas for a run then make the track fit your lead, steve vai does this alot, adding nuances to the tracks to make the runs sound more at home.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by insideac

Good day.

Is there maybe one specific moment in a song you're thinking of that would help us get the idea of what you want? Maybe when we know what you're thinking of we can explain that one instance and then you'd get it?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

There's C major scale broken up in 3 note-per-string boxes covering all the positions.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but learning these shapes helped my improvisation a lot. If you want to play fast things in your improvisation, you should learn shapes and licks that you can apply easily to the respective chords and also be able to play them in all the keys. Every fast lick you hear in improvisation is actually pre-rehearsed.
Quote by insideac
I figure maybe itll work here better. And yeah its a serious thread.

well if you are actually serious about your playing; stop making an active conscious effort in "trying to shred". fuck the 3 note per string pattern. in either case you trying to shred and then failing to do so, will not be a positive process, to try again and achieve the same result until you begin to hate the whole process...

so yeah, fuck the shredding and try creating some melodies out of the very string patterns that you wish to 'shred away' on; turn them around, play them slow, play them with different fingerings and phrasing to achieve tonal variation and mood. make music.

if you understand any of this and can actually apply it, the chances are you'll be able to play your 3 note per string patterns 20 bpm slower than if you just kept going and doing redundant finger exercises until you somehow indoctrinated your muscles into achieving your 'shredding goals'. of course, the trade off is, that chances are when you are playing 20 bpm slower you'll be making music as opposed to shitting all over your own expressive inner voice.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
well if you are actually serious about your playing; stop making an active conscious effort in "trying to shred". fuck the 3 note per string pattern. in either case you trying to shred and then failing to do so, will not be a positive process, to try again and achieve the same result until you begin to hate the whole process...

so yeah, fuck the shredding and try creating some melodies out of the very string patterns that you wish to 'shred away' on; turn them around, play them slow, play them with different fingerings and phrasing to achieve tonal variation and mood. make music.

if you understand any of this and can actually apply it, the chances are you'll be able to play your 3 note per string patterns 20 bpm slower than if you just kept going and doing redundant finger exercises until you somehow indoctrinated your muscles into achieving your 'shredding goals'. of course, the trade off is, that chances are when you are playing 20 bpm slower you'll be making music as opposed to shitting all over your own expressive inner voice.

I think it's a bit pointless to come into a thread, in which the TS seeks help to learn a certain technique, and say "**** it". If you really have nothing to say, other than the useless blabber that most of your posts consist of, you should shut your ****ing piehole.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
*load of crap*

of course, the trade off is, that chances are when you are playing 20 bpm slower you'll be making music as opposed to shitting all over your own expressive inner voice.

I'd rather express myself than make music. not that the two are mutually exclusive, but if it came down to a choice between one or the other, that's what I'd pick.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Stratwizard

There's C major scale broken up in 3 note-per-string boxes covering all the positions.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but learning these shapes helped my improvisation a lot. If you want to play fast things in your improvisation, you should learn shapes and licks that you can apply easily to the respective chords and also be able to play them in all the keys. Every fast lick you hear in improvisation is actually pre-rehearsed.

Yes dude, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. So I guess Im gonna try to learn and memorize this ,see how I can transpose it into the harmonic minor scale, in any key, and hopefully from there I can see results. For now I am gonna do a C major thing though, just because its what you showed me and I want to get that down first, before I get comfortable moving things around. Thanks ! Any more things that I could pair this up with, or any extra tips/help?
in addition I'd strongly recommand some paul gilbert, his solo's are pretty much 80% of the time based on very simple 3-notes-per-string sequenses. (And yes I just stated that his licks are often very simple, only played at extreme speed with frightening precision)
i'd also recommend looking at some paul gilbert, especially his racer x stuff if you haven't already. he does a lot of three note per string stuff thats not that hard to learn. take a look at the song technical difficulties. he uses a few different three note per string patterns on that song. the end solo is all three nps going up the fretboard. the whole run is just based off the e minor scale though. i would recommend starting off with scalar patterns like that c major one Stratwizard posted and moving on from there.
Quote by insideac
Any more things that I could pair this up with, or any extra tips/help?

Like said, definitely check out Gilbert. His technique is rock solid and he can translate all his fast licks to different keys and improvise effortlessly anywhere on the fretboard. When you get more familiar with those patterns, you can start building more complicated sequences; you can skip strings and move more "horizontally" on the fretboard instead of going just up and down. If you're looking for some examples, I can post a few tomorrow.
Quote by Stratwizard
I think it's a bit pointless to come into a thread, in which the TS seeks help to learn a certain technique, and say "**** it". If you really have nothing to say, other than the useless blabber that most of your posts consist of, you should shut your ****ing piehole.

look kid, you have no frame of reference so I'd suggest you not delve into this.
I used to like you, Axegrinder. I am gonna look into some Paul Gilbert stuff now, and hopefully in a few days I will have another question!
Last edited by insideac at May 1, 2008,
Quote by Axegrinder#9
listen boy, technique is just a means of arriving at a statement. keep that in mind.

exactly, how do you say that you're happy if you don't know the words for it?

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at May 2, 2008,
Quote by Axegrinder#9
you don't have to say it, your essence and posture, and state of mind should embody it; engage in play or cook a savory meal y'know

but what if the statement you want to make is explicitly 'I am happy'?

why should you settle for any other form when that one is both what you want and is the most effective at conveying that message.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at May 2, 2008,
Axegrinder, you really need to get off your ivory tower. Arrogance doesn't suit you. We know your musical preferences by now.

Let others have theirs.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.