A friend of mine needs a small (as small as possible) tube amp that has a big (well as big as possible) headroom. Cleanest smallest please

Any suggestions?
price range?

genre

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
price range?

genre

Not entirely sure. But I think the fender champ would be good
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Epi. Valve Junior, perhaps?

I thought they easily overdrived.

And to the blues jnr, he said it has to be able to fit on a plane.
Quote by forsaknazrael
ANY of these small tube amps are going to easily overdrive. They're 5 watts. 5 watts mean not a lot of headroom...

I thought that. For the size, would a Solid State amp be better for cleans?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You'd have to stick a lower gain preamp tube into the Champ to make it super clean. It's still not hard at all to overdrive.

Using something like a 12AT7 would do that.

wouldn't putting a lower gain preamp tube make it clip faster ?
Quote by supergerbil
I thought that. For the size, would a Solid State amp be better for cleans?

you'd need a 15 watt SS to match the volume of a 5 watt tuber, but the SS will be cleaner at high volumes. that is, until it starts to clip eventually.
Quote by supergerbil

And to the blues jnr, he said it has to be able to fit on a plane.

Blues Jr is 18x16x9.25 and 15 watts. My overhead bin bag is bigger than that and not nearly as loud...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No? I don't think so. It might lower the overall output a bit...But it wouldn't be working the power section as hard..

But yes, I'd be more inclined to just say he should get a Roland Microcube.

"One of Stevie Ray Vaughn’s favorite tubes was the 5751 preamp tube. With 30% less amplification than a 12AX7, but 100% interchangeable, an amp using the 5751 preamp tube creates a creamier and smoother tone than with a 12AX7. If your amp has too much gain, the 5751 is the perfect choice to "calm" the amp down and get more break-up without all the volume. We prefer the U.S. made JAN 5751 over any other 5751 available."

that means more breakup at lower volumes, no ?
Quote by The red Strat.
If your amp has too much gain, the 5751 is the perfect choice to "calm" the amp down and get more break-up without all the volume. We prefer the U.S. made JAN 5751 over any other 5751 available.

Well, that's a bit of a self-contradictory statement now isn't it?

The lower gain pre-amp tube will allow you to crank your amp up more while keeping it cleaner longer on the dial. If your amp breaks up at 5 with a 12ax7, maybe it'll break up at 7 with a 5751. BUT, your amps overall output will also be lower, so the volume from 5 with the 12ax7 might be the same as 7 with the 5751.

So what's the point?

Good question.

The 5751 will smooth out the amp, and keep it cleaner on a wider range on the dial, but it won't really increase clean headroom. The gain will be more subtle.

As for a small tube amp with decent clean headroom, I'd look at the Fender Pro Jr.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube, EL84's and 12AX7, with accutronics spring verb, dirt cheap, I own one and I'm always getting complements on it, plus you can crank the clean channel and get sweet overdrive, but if just playing at normal stage volumes, really nice clean, british type sound (given the EL84's and all). I love mine, i'm thinking about buying another one cos they're such good value and running stereo
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
I'd say a Blues Junior would probably give you more than enough clean headroom if you weren't playing in a band. It also isn't very large. If you want to get really fancy you can mod it or get the upgraded version.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Mesa Express 5:50
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live