I normally just learn the leads for a song and play the rhythm fill during the solo because i find solo's pretty hard. I want to step it up a notch by trying to learn some solos. What are some good solo's for me to start with? Anything by Metallica would be cool but I'm not sure if any of their solos are very easy, so anything metal I'll take but hard rock will cut it too.
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
Metallica is hard. I suggest playing some easier stuff first.

If you have no experience playing leads, start with Nirvana solos and things of that nature, just to get yourself away from chords.

If you're a decent soloist, learn things like "Stairway to Heaven" and "Walk This Way." Those songs have the added benefit of containing classic blues licks that everyone uses, so you'll learn those licks as well as the entire solo.

If you nail Stairway and Walk this Way, jump into some Metallica. Kirk uses a lot of the same kinds of licks, but often twice as fast as Page and Perry.

Metallica solos, especially the stuff after KEA (don't learn solos from that album except "The Four Horsemen" unless you really like it.) will be good because they're not that hard when compared to stuff like Malmsteen, but they're chellenging enough.
To deagle-eyes: well I can play veg solos like the ones in knockin' on heavens door but thats about it. I'm pretty sure I'm intermediate level but I've never been told what level I am. I play iron maiden: the trooper, run to the hills, number of the beast and that kind of thing I'll let you decide my level
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If you're a decent soloist, learn things like "Stairway to Heaven" and "Walk This Way." Those songs have the added benefit of containing classic blues licks that everyone uses, so you'll learn those licks as well as the entire solo.

Going down the Aerosmith road, I'd personally suggest "Love in an Elevator" and "One Way Street". Interesting solos containing some fairly standard blues licks; you'll have to dig around a bit to find "One Way Street" but it's a good beginning venture into the word of blues-rock guitar.
So what about Nothing else matters??easier you cant find i think. Than paranoid..with metronome it shouldnt be a problem to pawn it.What about first solo just after intro in Sanitarium by Metallica???And also first solo Fade to black is quite easy.As you know its all about practice...download guitar pro and start to play the solo on 0,25x speed than do step up to 0,5 and than to 0,75.When you are between real speed and 0,75x speed use metronome.Knocking on heavens door is pretty good and Unforgiven isnt so hard to play as it seems(there is one quite hard part for beginner and artifical harmonics but you can play it without them)And when youll be bored by "slow" speed solos try Ride the Lightning.I play electric guitar half year and Ive learned first minute of it in three weeks.The rest of it Ill practise when Ill be better player.After youll be able to play those solos Ive mentioned above try Stairway to heaven, enter sandman and than first solo in Four horsemen.I learned those solos quite fast because I play one hour a day at least.Obviously I play two hours a day.Let me know how does your practicing continue, ok??Hope Ive helped...
Last edited by Viktor Smidy at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by gagadude
To deagle-eyes: well I can play veg solos like the ones in knockin' on heavens door but thats about it. I'm pretty sure I'm intermediate level but I've never been told what level I am. I play iron maiden: the trooper, run to the hills, number of the beast and that kind of thing I'll let you decide my level
If you can play the solos in those Maiden songs well, that's a pretty high level of guitar playing, certainly enough to expect you to learn Metallica solos (The Number of the Beast is probably harder than most of Hammett's solos).
Quote by gagadude
I normally just learn the leads for a song and play the rhythm fill during the solo because i find solo's pretty hard. I want to step it up a notch by trying to learn some solos. What are some good solo's for me to start with? Anything by Metallica would be cool but I'm not sure if any of their solos are very easy, so anything metal I'll take but hard rock will cut it too.

pick something you like. If its too hard, try something else and come back to it later. Youll end up finding something that works for you and it will be easier than us guessing at what you level you are.