Up until recently, I've been running a Line6 Toneport UX1 and recording my guitar using garageband with gearbox for effects/preamp simulation etc... but I was never ever happy with the tones I was able to get out of gearbox (distortions mostly, a common prob).

Since buying that I've bought a Boss GT-6 Effects board and have that setup using the 4CM to my amp and have managed to get tones and effects I'm quite happy with for now. So recently I bought a Shure SM57 mic and I'm going to mic my amp up instead of going through the digital emulation. This also means I can use the same effects recorded and Live.

So at the moment my Shure mic will be going into my Toneport, but I was wondering if there was a better hardware solution for mic/guitar -> USB interfacing than the Toneport if I'm not after gearbox effects?

Thanks guys.
M-Audio mobile pre

get one second hand off ebay, about £70, 2 mics, 2 jack ins.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
That looks pretty cool, thanks.

I should have mentioned this in my first post actually, but something I'm also interested in is recording Jam's multitrack into garageband. Would something like a PreSonus Firepod be a better option that would allow me to do this also?