Alright, so first off some info about my musical tastes and gear.

Guitar: ESP EC-1000 with Seymour Duncan JB '59 combo.
No pedals.
Musical preferences: A little bit of this and that. All over the place, but mostly rock, classic rock, some jazzy stuff, and some metal.

I'm thinking about buying a used combo amp. What amp would be best that sells for around $400 used? Should I just go ahead and buy a new amp (I would choose Vox AD50VT), or should I get a nice used tube amp?

P.S. Since I have no pedals and have no interest in buying more than, oh, say, 3, it would be preferable to get an amp with some effects on it already.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
I buy most of my gear used. Saved a bundle. Ebay works great for me, even buying very expensive amps. You just have to check out who you're dealing with. If you're buying direct from someone or from a store, just check to see if the amp looks like it was treated well in its earlier life, & that it sounds good. You can save 30%-50% or more buying a used amp. If the amp is more than about 5-10 yrs old, it may be in need of some service work or tubes, though. MAYBE, not necessarily.

Edit: Sorry not to contribute some amp recommendations. I know little about amps in that price range, but if you like the above mentioned Vox, just be patient & look for a used one.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Apr 30, 2008,
the VOX AD-50VT 212, the extra speaker gives it that extra warm and lush tone perfect for jazz and its got the settings to scream for your rocking out.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Used T00b amp FTW
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by riffhog
I buy most of my gear used. Saved a bundle. Ebay works great for me, even buying very expensive amps. You just have to check out who you're dealing with. If you're buying direct from someone or from a store, just check to see if the amp looks like it was treated well in its earlier life, & that it sounds good. You can save 30%-50% or more buying a used amp. If the amp is more than about 5-10 yrs old, it may be in need of some service work or tubes, though. MAYBE, not necessarily.

Hell yeah!

I got my Nomad head for 800 shipped, and I got my rectifier cab for 500 shipped. Both are damn mint. The bottom of the cab has nicks and scratches, but I probably did the most myself. That's the kind of deals you get on ebay.

But as far as amps, well, you're gunna have to figure out if you want a combo or a head and a cab. Pretty easy, if you're in a band or plan on being in one, get the head and cab, if you're playing in your room or with your buddies for a hobby, get the combo.

Definitely get tube though, used, no doubt. You're gunna have to do some research and compare it to what YOU like. If you're gunna be really on the cleans, you're probably gunna want a Fender more than a Mesa or a Marshall. If you're heavy on the dirty, probably the opposite. Hell, maybe not. There's a lot of amp companies and they all sound really different. Check out sites like harmony-central.com for pretty good reviews on equipment, check out company websites, hell, find out what band plays what amp you want and listen to their music. You'll find your answer a lot quicker outside of the UG forum.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I just wanted a place to start. I'm not a pro at guitar gear. What I was looking for is a model to go off of. Then I can read reviews and compare with other stuff in it's price range.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
^Try a Peavey Classic 30. You can easily get a good condition one used for under $400 and it sounds perfect for you. It depends on your definition of metal though, it'll do classic metal type stuff but not teh br00talz on it's own.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...