Hey UG,

We need a bassist and our lead guitarist thinks it would be alright without me on rhythm guitar. I have a Digitech RP250 Multi-Effects pedal which has a bass simulator in it. It sounds just like a bass (to me anyway).

So what I'm wondering is, are there any drawbacks of me doing this?
The only one I can think of is that there is less space between the strings.

I will be using my fingers instead of a pick because I think it sounds better.
Signature temporarily empty
No problem, except that It would not sound like a bass at all. Pedals can never emulate the sounds of an actual bass.
your better to get a bass but until then you should be goos, itl sound very fake and digitally produced tho

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Captain Insano
No problem, except that It would not sound like a bass at all. Pedals can never emulate the sounds of an actual bass.

true!

You could do like PUSA and put bass strings on your guitar though, not sure what kinda damage that'll do though
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Well, I'm planning on buying a bass in a few months.

I know 2 really good bassists but the other band members think they are douches and won't let them join.
Signature temporarily empty
Yeah, they're more concerned with being funny than having great tone but damn it, I loves those crazy cats!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
true!

You could do like PUSA and put bass strings on your guitar though, not sure what kinda damage that'll do though

ah the basitar!
I actually did that for my band at a jam once. I turned the bass all the way up on my amp, the mid and treble were slightly below halfway up. It wasn't horrible, but these guys are right, it will never feel or sound the same as a real bass.

EDIT: not the basitar thing, but using my guitar as a bass. ...and I used my fingers instead of a pick, too.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
It won't work, just as my penis won't work as a cattle prod.

Not that I've tried...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
You don't nearly get a low enough pitch. It kind of misses most of the point of the bass - you'll get a tone that sounds kinda like it, but you sure as hell won't get the same rumble, growl or thump.

It'll be okayish to fill in the gaps in practice, but for the love of God don't play live like that. For performance, you're gonna need to get a real bass, or get a real bassist.
Quote by Nutter_101
It won't work, just as my penis won't work as a cattle prod.

Not that I've tried...

sigged.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.