For my woods class I decided to build a guitar. A PRS McCarty copy, with some additions to it.
Materials included:
-mahogany back
-birdseye maple top
-mixture of gold, chrome, and nickel hardware
-killswitch
-seymour duncan sh-4/sh-2n combo
-fernandes sustainer
-warmoth neck (stained and finished by me)
-grover tuners

The build:
After making the blank(sorry no pics of blank cause my phone won't load em) I made my designs for the electronics, pickups, neck pocket, etc. on the CNC mill program. After spending countless hours on that I finally got em right and cut em out. I then rough cut the body on a bandsaw, sanded the edges and got em nice and smooth.
(Invalid img)
Then I carved it. I used files, scrapers and other hand tools to carve it. Then after that was done I drilled about 30-40 holes for various things (pickup rings, pots, jack, etc.) Then in order to get the electronics to fit I had to use a dremel on it.
Then I proceeded to staining it. (Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
After doing that I finished it with shelac.

I've got to go but i'll b back in a bit with more pics.
Feel free to crit it good or bad.

edit- as i figured images didnt work, but i'll fix em later.
i'm intrigued that your teacher would let you use a pre-fab neck... the pics didnt work because you dont have them uploaded to a server like photobucket or myspace or whatever...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Hey man, I said i'd check ur thread out!. LOL Pics please I wna see!!! Your starting from the start I see... Good luck man!
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
are you going to dish out the 40-50 bucks for that kill switch? dont think the 15 dollar one is going to cut it, its not going too, its terrible without the chip.
fight the power that be
Quote by Guitarzan1143
are you going to dish out the 40-50 bucks for that kill switch? dont think the 15 dollar one is going to cut it, its not going too, its terrible without the chip.

I just bought a SPST from ace. I saw on a website that it'd work.
no, it wont without a certain chip wired into it to elminate the popping that will enivatably occur without it.
fight the power that be
Quote by Guitarzan1143
no, it wont without a certain chip wired into it to elminate the popping that will enivatably occur without it.

Ummmm. Just make sure you ground everything correctly then it won't make a popping sound.
I have a killswitch that is just a switch as this guy said and it doesn't pop it is just grounded correctly.
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
sweet, do you have the CNC file? im looking to design one and that would kill starting from scratch. i might have some we can trade, haha. i use Rhinoceros.
fight the power that be
Very nice my friend very nice. Just wish that I could start from scratch. but I have no tools and I don't take wood in school...
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
That Volume knob is a little to close to the bridge if you ask me (wich u didn't... ) But anyway it is looking killer as! Personally I would have gotten upside down crosses on the neck :P

EDIT: Why didn't you cut odwn the heel on the neck joint. Be mighty hard to paly up in the frets...
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
^^ Very much so.
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Yeah i have to agree it does look more like a framus than a PRS. The carve on a PRS is alot more pronounced than what youv'e done. Still I love birdseye tops especially the one on my Epi.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
^^ Very much so but it is still a good guitar and could be mistaken for a PRS bu a begginer or intermediate guitar player. Hope it plays nice. Upload some clips please
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
looks good... I like the soft edges and subtle carve. but CNC is kind of cheating just kidding. I'm looking into a CNC router for my basement... I've been programming CNC machinery for 10 years in the metal cutting industry... mostly 5-12 axis stuff though...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by halikus
Yeah i have to agree it does look more like a framus than a PRS. The carve on a PRS is alot more pronounced than what youv'e done. Still I love birdseye tops especially the one on my Epi.

I've heard of Framus but have only seen their amps. I just checked em out and it does look more like that. I did the subtle carves on purpose cause I like how it looks and feels better. And i'm a huge fan of birdseye as well (hence why i used it)
if u look, that maple is birdseye and looks quilted! sweet!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by metallhead
It looks great. Is it heavy? How does it play?

Thanks. It's not to bad as far as weight goes but it could've been a tad bit lighter. But that's what you get for using mahogany.
As far as playing I had a couple of problems with the bridge being slanted and when it was straight the action was to low but that's all fixed now. Pickups were wired backwards as well. That's all finished now to. My nice amp is broke at the moment and my other nice one is at my drummers house. So I had to play it on a crappy 15 watt practice amp but it didn't sound to bad.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
if u look, that maple is birdseye and looks quilted! sweet!

Ya, i noticed that when i stained it. Before all you could see was the birdseye but then the stain just brought everything out. It's got a little bit of a tigerstripe going to.
Quote by tomypg
^^ Very much so but it is still a good guitar and could be mistaken for a PRS bu a begginer or intermediate guitar player. Hope it plays nice. Upload some clips please

Thanks. I'll try to get some clips. Not quite sure how though. I'm also going to talk to a friend about videotaping my band at my school's upcoming talent show.
Btw, how's your guitar coming?
Hey! It's going great got the paint etc. Just needa paint it in the weekend... Hope I finish it before school starts! And I got a logo for the headstock etc.
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Newest update: I had to redrill the holes for the bridge cause of a problem with the intonation. So now there's two big holes right behind the bridge. I don't want to leave em but if i plug em and leave em like that the grain won't look right.
I was thinking make plugs with leftover mahogany for tonal purposes and then put a nickel plate with my name engraved into it over the holes for looks.
Anybody got any other suggestions of what would be cool?
^^ That would look sweet. But maybe not engrave your name but like a name of a company (your company) Incase you want to sell it. But if your not gna sell it go ahead it would look sweeet.
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand