Ok, so i'm using one for the first time at a gig tomorrow, it was a choice between that and an AVT . Never used one before, got a few questions:

How do you control the gain, are there 2 channels with a button? or is it the "put overdrive up, turn master volume down" kinda thing.

Does it have enough gain for Foo Fighters/modern rock type distortion, i have a TS-9 if it needs it.
yeah, you'll need the T-9. but the 800 only has one channel, so turn up the gain to 10, and turn the volume up. how big is the venue you'll be playing at? you pretty much only have an overdrive channel. if you're good at controlling the volume controls on your pickups on the fly, you can get a clean tone as well, but yeah, just one channel.

edit: do you know what model JCM800 it is? there are two of them, one has only one channel the other has two channels. the single-channel one is the most common though.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
it's a kinda medium sized pub, and it's the 100 watt version
well, yeah most JCM800's only have one channel on them. but it has enough gain for foo fighters, but the t-9 would help.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
So playing clean is basically out of the question? unless i fiddle with my volume knobs on the guitar?
Well, you will get nice cleans (as others said) using your guitar's volume. The change in tone is HUGE...let me repeat HUGE using your guitar volume. The first thing I would do is get used to using guitar volume pre-gig.

Quote by Sway!
So playing clean is basically out of the question? unless i fiddle with my volume knobs on the guitar?
I have a question that relates to this. If you are playing on the 800 and the preamp is up all the way, can you still get cleans by rolling off your volume? Or do you have to lower the preamp off 10?
what sort of guitar will you be using
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

On single channel amps you set them for your distorted tone and use the guitar volume, picking dynamics or coil splits/inbetween positions to clean the sound up.

Oh, and I doubt you'll be able to turn it up too loud, a 100 watt JCM will obliterate a pub!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ninja23
I have a question that relates to this. If you are playing on the 800 and the preamp is up all the way, can you still get cleans by rolling off your volume? Or do you have to lower the preamp off 10?

Yeah you can still clean it up, you just have to roll of it more.
sorry to highjack this thread, didn't wnat to make a new one, what does everyone think about the 800. i have an option to buy one for around 1000 AUS from my mates dad, it's pretty old. i have never played one so do you think its worth it, i've heard people raving about the jcm800. i already have a dsl50, but i'd love to have the option to have dofferent tones to play around with.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
$1000 AUD is a good deal. Look on ebay first and see if there are any cheaper for buy it now. If not, grab the deal.

The TS's question has already been answered.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Thanks, yeah i checked on ebay, it's pretty much even, and i know this amp is in working condition and looked after, my mates dad gigs and stuff. and he lives just down the road, so if i save enough money, i might just buy it, try it out first obviously.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?