Page 1 of 2
So, my good friend is a well educated black man who has never really been exposed to high quality "rock" before. He's into some great urban stuff, the likes of The Roots, Talib Qweli, etc. So he likes lyrical depth, and a funky driven style. I play stuff in my car all the time, but I have a very eclectic taste in music and although he has now began appreciated the technicality of the music I listen to and the musicianship, he still hasn't found that thing that has caught his ear. The biggest complaint from him is that the vocals are usually screamed ( okay my fault lol) or that the lyrics are too artsy (e.g In Flames haha).

UG to the rescue ( I hope)

I'm looking for bands that are great at telling stories and are lyrically deep, vocally audible, and just an educated sound. I was thinking he might appreciate the newest Against Me Album...?

PS: not forciong my musical beliefs, we just have both decide to help each other and get more musically diverse. I for instance have accepted the Roots into my lineup and have enjoyed them thoroughly. Just bought the tipping point, so good!)
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
tool
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Coheed & Cambria is just one huge story through out the albums, amazing musicianship aswell, though i appreciate claudio's voice isnt to everyones taste.
I saw "tells a story",,,, Primus.

Kamelot's Epica and The Black Halo are based on Goethe's Faust too,,,and they are both exceptional albums
Yea it took awhile for me to tolerate his vocals, and Im still not a big fan or anything, Floyd is worth a try and so is Dream Theater. Can you imagine me showing a 6'6 350lbs rap fan a rush song come on. Please though keep the ideas flowing. And tool is the definition of artsy fartsy lol
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Yea it took awhile for me to tolerate his vocals, and Im still not a big fan or anything, Floyd is worth a try and so is Dream Theater. Can you imagine me showing a 6'6 350lbs rap fan a rush song come on. Please though keep the ideas flowing. And tool is the definition of artsy fartsy lol

Tool is the definition of lyrical depth. It's raw and not artsy fartsy
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Check out Protest the Hero. Specifically the album Fortress. It is lyrically deep and provoking, while still being fairly raw, is very technical yet musical on all fronts, and includes some great vocals on the part of Rody Walker. They range from beautifully harmonized cleans to shrill, throat destroying screams to gutteral growls all well balanced with eachother. Great stuff, worth a look. Also, check out their debut "Kezia". While they have certainly matured their sound since then (especially Rody) it contains a great storyline and raw emotion and energy in its presentation. Both are worth a look

I hope this helps =D
artsy fartsy? most of the songs are about anal sex, his paralyzed mother or something with a deeper meaning than most can comprehend

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
artsy fartsy? most of the songs are about anal sex, his paralyzed mother or something with a deeper meaning than most can comprehend

They don't have a song about anal sex.
They have a song about anal rape.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2

AND A HOOKER!!!.......WITH A PENIS
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

EDIT: Your friend has great taste in music BTW, I got a Roots CD yesterday. No their new one but their live album because it is only 6.99 on itunes. Good sh*t.
Last edited by Beakwithteeth at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by fortysix&2

they have a song about anal fisting (stinkfist) and 4 degrees is a song about anal sex

i'll quote maynard james keenan himself from a concert i saw at PNC bank arts center "this next song... like a lot of our other songs... is about anal sex"

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
they have a song about anal fisting (stinkfist) and 4 degrees is a song about anal sex

i'll quote maynard james keenan himself from a concert i saw at PNC bank arts center "this next song... like a lot of our other songs... is about anal sex"

Stinkfist isn't actually about fisting.
last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466
*head explodes*
You sir, are a god.

Quote by BBW
This song is about Little Red Riding Hood and her trials and tribulations with the Big Bad Wolf. He was a cunt who liked to bother pigs when they relaxed after work in their houses.
there have been many assumptions over the years about what tool songs are "really" about...

heh... i said ASSumption...

A rock band with lyrical depth? How about Pearl Jam Paulie - mid-ish Pearl Jam
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Vandals572
Dream Theater

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Look up Scenes from a Memory.....one REALLY big story.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

alice in chains

Some Jawbreaker or Jets to Brazil would be good, even though Blake's vocals are a bit hard to understand sometimes.

Bloc Party has some great lyrics too, but idk if you're into that kind of music.

But whatever you do, please please please please PLEASE don't introduce him to Against Me! starting with their latest album. If you want the cleaner production quality, go for As The Eternal Cowboy or Searching for a Former Clarity, or even their live album.
kill all humans
some solid suggestions, keep them coming if ya'll can
I have that same situation.

My best friend is black, he listens to a lot of old school rap, back when it was good. I enjoy that genre very much too so I'm more into rap than he's into rock.

One style I know he loves is Jimi Hendrix, Little Wing is his favorite song. I don't know what else he really likes in the rock genre though. He can dig the Beatles sometimes, and anything with some nice drums.

The only time I can get him to really listen to some rock without any negative comments is when we're high and we chill to some pink floyd and ect ... even jazz with guitar

edit - Definitely some Bob Marley but your friend probably listens to that anyway, since the whole world does. Try find some more reggae rock.
Hmm....

The Beatles are always a good foray into well-written band music. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have a funky style, and their songs are pretty tightly written. Have him give them a go.

Oh, and it may take a little digging, but most solo acoustic artists have an old school RnB flavor to them. I know I always like them.

Btw, the Roots are freaking amazing. ?uestlove's beats are always a blast to listen to. I just wish they'd turn up Captain Kirk's guitar though...
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
Most prog, especially Rush, Dream Theater, and Symphony X.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by jesus the strat
Chili peppers?

Oh yes, this and Primus.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Page 1 of 2