hey. Me and my 2 friends are planning a trip to europe. We are planning to stay at least for 3 months and we are just starting to get underway. I was wondering if anyone has done it or knows anything about it such as information on packing, plane costs, budgeting, hostels transportation, guides and also an overall rough estimate of cost. we live in saskatchewan canada and want to leave around the first week in september. If all goes well we will stay even longer and head into parts of asia but for now does anyone have any information. obviously I already googled it but i just want to know peoples perspectives who have experience.
Make sure to have a single quarter and if faced with any difficult situations flip it. Heads you do it, tails you don't.

Go to Amsterdam, one thing I learned in History is that they treat Canadians really well there.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Ever see the movie Hostel?
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
dude, don't think about it at all. just open a backpack, close your eyes and shove things in. when the time comes, McGyver your way out.

oh and bring 1500 cash for the bus ride home when you near-starve from McGyvering.
best desision ever.
i live in england so a trip to mainland europe was really easy and really cheap.

FIRST OFF: get a rail card. these cost about £200 for 6 weeks and you can travel anywhere in europe on the trains. well worth it (does cover euro tunnel tho).

SECONLY: try and go before september. europe has some of the best music festivals in the world. im going back to exit festival this year and i know there are hundreds of others.

THIRDLY: amsterdam ... i think they're tryin to make magic mushrooms illeagal, but theres still pleanty of pot so dnt worry about that.

finally, try and stay as far south as much as possible. also try and stay to the east becuase its like 100 times cheaper. croatis, serbia bosnia ... these sorta places. ALSO those places are a **** lot funner the bloody france and german etc ....

hope this helped
Quote by eonbar
best desision ever.
i live in england so a trip to mainland europe was really easy and really cheap.

FIRST OFF: get a rail card. these cost about £200 for 6 weeks and you can travel anywhere in europe on the trains. well worth it (does cover euro tunnel tho).

SECONLY: try and go before september. europe has some of the best music festivals in the world. im going back to exit festival this year and i know there are hundreds of others.

THIRDLY: amsterdam ... i think they're tryin to make magic mushrooms illeagal, but theres still pleanty of pot so dnt worry about that.

finally, try and stay as far south as much as possible. also try and stay to the east becuase its like 100 times cheaper. croatis, serbia bosnia ... these sorta places. ALSO those places are a **** lot funner the bloody france and german etc ....

hope this helped

hey man thanx. we would not be able to go before september but that railcard idea is awesome. that made me feel so much better about getting around
Last summer i travelled through eastern europe and austria (technically western europe), We stayed in hostels everynight and it averaged out over a month that we were paying £10 a night for accomodation (some places were alot cheaper and some more hence its an average but it was pretty much a max of £18 and min of £5.50). the countries we visited were estonia, latvia, lithuania, poland, czech-republic, austria, slovakia and hungary. all of them were good, with spectacular history and sights to see and plenty of things to do. Food and drink in the eastern european countries was spectacularly cheap, if you just head out of the main square of the cities and to the outskirts a bit you could get a fantastic meal with a fair few beers for as little as £5. prices are on the increase though and western europe is more expensive. Most nights we would head to bars and clubs in the centre of the cities and would find a pint of beer to be around £0.70 and entrnce to clubs around £2. the nightlife in all of the cities was amazing with prague and budapest being the best. My favriot destination was Buda-Pest in hungary, the city is built on hot springs and has spas and swimming pools all over it with fantastic architecture and the castle and cathedral andrest of the sites there were fantastic i highly recommend buda-pest. Prague was also a highlight with the most spectacular castle (biggest in the world, correct me if i am wrong) i have ever been to. Vienna has some brilliant history and if you are a fan of classical music is an ideal place to go. Latvia had some fantastic beachs on the baltic sea which were great for chilling out on. Poland was brilliant warsaw is worth a visit with a reconstructed old town and krakow was very intresting old city with lively nightlife and is a good base for excusions such as the salt mines or auschwitz (worth a visit, really reminds you of a dark point in human history that such a thing could happen). Transport in the cities themselves was either underground train network or trams, they were extremely efficent was of travelling around a cheap, and between countries we travelled by train or coach and again very cheap and efficent. We never encountered any trouble whilst we were there finding local people to be nothing but helpful, we travelled during july which was a very warm perod as there was a heatwave with some days being up to 40 centigrade. The whole trip (accomodation, sightseeing, eating out, drinking (LOTS), flights and transport) cost just about £1000 for a month, prices may be slightly higher now but i doubt alot, we flew from london (as we are english) so our flights will be alot less than yours so without flights i think the cost of the trip came to around £940, i believe the flights were about £60 for us.
Overall i highly recommend you go to prague and budapest as they were real highlights but all of the places we visited did not dissapoint and im sure you will not if you visit them, we spent between 3/5 nights in each place. Hope your trip is as succesful as ours was and this was helpful.
take a towel, the most useful thing a hitch-hiker can have

apart from the guide

I'd recommend starting in Britain (get the most expensive part done) then work your way to france then northen italy, germany, then further east
definately go to Prague.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Damn it, I wish I wasn't banned from OT right now.

There's a guy on there who wrote an AMAZING edu on backpacking Europe.
if you get pretty drunk dont take a piss on the street me an my mates were out drank like 10 beers each then mate decided to piss on a building and got chucked in a police riot van, they released him after like half an hour but they are strict on public urination (that was in latvia), but generally we didnt get any problems with being drunk, one night my mate couldnt stand or talk and the police didnt mind us dragging him home thorugh the streets (in poland)
Quote by Sol9989
definately go to Prague.

+1

and Amsterdam.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
If there is a creepy guy with a big mole who tells you about a place where girls will have sex with you because they are so horny for Canadians....ah hell, i was gonna say don't go, but you might as well, it could actually be true.
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.