Ok, so I just started playing guitar about 2 months ago. My friend let me borrow his Rickenbacker but didn't have an extra amp so not knowing anything I found a Line 6 Spider III 15w that looked decent... sigh. So I've been playing with that guitar amp combo (probably never done in the history of the world)... Anyways long story short I'm ready to upgrade my amp to a tube amp and want to know the best/cheapest way to go to get a good amp. I play RHCP, Weezer, Pearl Jam, Phish, Cold War Kids, Beatles, and every once in awhile get into the RATM realm.

Thanks for any help in advance.
lol stop complaining. You have a $2000 guitar for godsake....

Guitarport or Toneport are great choices for practicing and home recording. I love it personally.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
My budget is really just as low as possible still getting a solid amp. It would be for bedroom volumes to loud enough to play for small groups of people, 20-30max.
Last edited by cjchyea at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by Mynabull
lol stop complaining. You have a $2000 guitar for godsake....

Guitarport or Toneport are great choices for practicing and home recording. I love it personally.

most of your tone comes from your amp....so it doesn't really matter.

what's your budget?

EDIT: you've still got to give a price range because my idea of low priced might be different than yours.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Probably not looking to spend more then a few hundred. I don't know if you can even get a good tube amp in the $200-$300 range so I didn't want to limit answers to that.
Quote by cjchyea
Probably not looking to spend more then a few hundred. I don't know if you can even get a good tube amp in the $200-$300 range so I didn't want to limit answers to that.

theres a few that you can get new for that money, or you could go used.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Look to buy used.

You can probably find a Peavey Classic 30 in good condition for around that price range on eBay.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
a Fender Blues Junior sounds good for you, and with an overdrive pedal for some heavier sounds.

if you dont mind buying used you can look around for a used Valveking or a used Classic 30.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Drrojogochu
It's not HIS guitar. His friend let him borrow it.

i doubt hes going to quit when he gives the guitar back, hes just going to buy his own. so this amp will also go to his future.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
There was a Fender Hot Rot Deluxe on craigslist for $375 I think. Is that an amp worth trying to get a deal on?
^ Yes, definitely. You'd still need a good distortion pedal because the OD isn't exactly great on that amp...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by cjchyea
There was a Fender Hot Rot Deluxe on craigslist for $375 I think. Is that an amp worth trying to get a deal on?

did you look on ebay for a Classic 30?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
You've been playing for 2 months and you already need a new amp?? I've been playing for like a year with a spider III 15w...Damned rich kids

But yeah, Peavey Classic 30 is a very nice amp. Good cleans, better distortion than Hot rod.
if only for practice valve jr
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
I just bought a Valveking Royal 8 (Peavey) and it gives me some good sounds. It can pump pretty loud if needed but at the same time its tone is great when quiet. The reason that I bought it over the Epi VJ, Fender Champion 600, or spend a little more on the blackheart combo is that this amp is an all tube amp with two inputs (high and low), gain, master volume, and tone control. The amp is only $200 and is definitely strong enough to play with a drummer and/or bassist. Also the biggest factor for me is that the Valveking comes with a headphone jack...a necessity for me since I share a room with someone and tend to practice at night.
~Nick
Ever think of a Vox AD30VT? They're good amps around your price range.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
Found a valve Jr on Craigslist in my area, going to see how much they want for it. Thanks for the suggestions everyone looking into all of them.
Vox AD30VT is a Valvetronic right?

Tube pre-amp mixed with a solid state amp?

Saw a used one a guitar center, is it a good amp or should I just go for a full tube amp?

Thanks
You should definately look at the AD30VT.
Its in your price range and is the Best Practice amp IMO.
Gear:
Art & Lutherie Acoustic
Epiphone SG
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Vox AD30VT
Peavey Classic 30.

****ing gorgeous tone out of it, nice and bright and clean. Breaks up a bit early but it's real nice, especially for classic rock.

Distortion channel on it is pretty good too.
Am I the only person that finds it odd someone would loan a $2000 rickenbacker to their friend so they could learn guitar?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I wouldn't say the blackheart is better then the epi until you have cranked it. At my church a guy runs a fender strat through a Epi Valve Jr and a volume boost pedal sort of overdrive without the gain and it on its own it can handle a 300 seat place and sounds amazing so I would say get the Epi Valve Jr it is very nice for the money also consider a clasic 30 and a Vox AD30 wich is one of the nicest sounding solid state amps I have tride.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name