Page 1 of 2
Sorry for the 'vs' thread, but I have a pretty specific question that I can't answer on my own, or by trying out the amps, because nowhere near me sells Bugera amps.

I recently purchased a Peavey Windsor head, and love the sound and dynamics of it. The only problem is, that I really can't get a clean sound out of it, much less on-the-fly during a song. Today I discovered Bugera amps, and after seeing the price, and hearing clips of them, it sounds like a good solution to my "no clean" problem (I have a volume pedal, but even dialing this down, and the guitar's volume pot, it still doesn't clean up to a usable "clean" without losing too much volume).

So basically, the question I have is, how does the distortion on the Bugera (either crunch or lead) compare to that of the Windsor? I love the sound of my Windsor, and I would hate to get rid of it to fund a Bugera, just to find out that the distortion is less than par.

If it makes a difference, it would be the head version of the 6262, run through a 2x12" cab that I made, with vintage 30s.

Thanks!

EDIT: If you're just coming to the thread now, I'm taking suggestions for a comparable amp in the same price range (<$600), and also considering the Peavey Valveking.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Last edited by darthalal at May 1, 2008,
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Behringer handles the distribution of these amps. Now whether they also have a hand in making them or not, I don't know. With the experiences that I have had with the distortion/overdrive channels on Behringer amps though, I would definetly make sure that you try one out in person before you buy it and don't take the word of what people will tell you around here.

Worse comes to worse though, you could always see if there are any demo vids on You Tube.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
just send the windsor to get modded for a clean channel. hit youtube with "peavey windsor" their is a guy on there that does it.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Behringer handles the distribution of these amps. Now whether they also have a hand in making them or not, I don't know. With the experiences that I have had with the distortion/overdrive channels on Behringer amps though, I would definetly make sure that you try one out in person before you buy it and don't take the word of what people will tell you around here.

Worse comes to worse though, you could always see if there are any demo vids on You Tube.

Behringer have no part in making the amps as far as i'm aware, and every review of read of the Bugera's are glowing. I'm yet to try one, and i can't wait too, if they match up to the reviews i may buy one.
Although all the reviews i've read have been about the amazing distortion, i havn't as yet, that i can remember anyway, have said anything about the cleans. There's a bugera thread on here somewhere, have a read through that, might be something in there.
Quote by TomR
Behringer have no part in making the amps as far as i'm aware, and every review of read of the Bugera's are glowing. I'm yet to try one, and i can't wait too, if they match up to the reviews i may buy one.
Although all the reviews i've read have been about the amazing distortion, i havn't as yet, that i can remember anyway, have said anything about the cleans. There's a bugera thread on here somewhere, have a read through that, might be something in there.

fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv">fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv">http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=bugera%206260&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv
From that video, the cleans sound pretty amazing, especially for the price. I wish the reviewer played something more relevant to what I would be using the lead channel for though, so I could judge that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Quote by hot4teacher
just send the windsor to get modded for a clean channel. hit youtube with "peavey windsor" their is a guy on there that does it.

I just checked that out, and for how much it costs to have it done, I could have almost bought another Windsor.. I'm rather hesitant to do that at this point, especially since I purchased the amp used, and would be spending more to give it a clean channel than I paid for the amp itself.

In the video from my last post, the Bugera amp sounds very nice overall, but I don't know how much can be attributed to the recording equipment/room involved, etc..
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by TomR

Behringer definitely does more than distribute. Any warranty claims are sent to Behringer, and any service done on it needs to be done by a Behringer authorized service center, or it voids the warranty.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Dave_Mc

Dathalal:

Your sig really fits the moment .
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Apr 30, 2008,
Keep your windsor, get it modded by Jerry at FJA mods. Google it. Youtube it too, there are some awesome clips. It cleans up wayyyy better than the stock one and its not terribly expensive. It'll sound wayyy better. PS Tons of people have had reliability issues with Bugera's already. Just sayin'.
Quote by Say Ocean
Keep your windsor, get it modded by Jerry at FJA mods. Google it. Youtube it too, there are some awesome clips. It cleans up wayyyy better than the stock one and its not terribly expensive. It'll sound wayyy better. PS Tons of people have had reliability issues with Bugera's already. Just sayin'.

Which mod are you referring to, the "windsor mod"? the ultimate 80s mod? or adding a clean channel?

The clips are certainly appealing, but there's only so much you can find out from watching a video; if I were to get my windsor modded, I would really like to play one that's already been done first, to see if I find the improvement worth it.. Also he doesn't describe very clearly on the site what is improved with the ultimate 80s mod, or just the windsor mods, and which is better/more applicable in this case..

Quote by DiMeTiMe
Dathalal:

Your sig really fits the moment .

Yeah, I saw that someone had posted that a while ago, and it was like the second day I had the amp, and I just couldn't get over how true it was.. haha
Quote by Dave_Mc

Well I f***in love my Bugera. I don't care, even if Uli Behringer himself built it I would play it. A name is a name. It sounds great, plays well, and seems tough enough to me. Honestly feels more heavy duty than my old b-52. Most problems I have seen can easily be user error, and if they aren't its not hard to fix. I honestly don't find the "Well Behringer built it" argument to be valid.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by darthalal
Which mod are you referring to, the "windsor mod"? the ultimate 80s mod? or adding a clean channel?

The clips are certainly appealing, but there's only so much you can find out from watching a video; if I were to get my windsor modded, I would really like to play one that's already been done first, to see if I find the improvement worth it.. Also he doesn't describe very clearly on the site what is improved with the ultimate 80s mod, or just the windsor mods, and which is better/more applicable in this case..

Yeah, I saw that someone had posted that a while ago, and it was like the second day I had the amp, and I just couldn't get over how true it was.. haha

Just call him up or contact him. He's a cool guy.
A Peavy Windsor better than a Bugera 6262?? FAIL. Fail all over that. Funny rediculous fail. Speaking as someone who owns a 6262, I tried a Peavy Windsor half stack before I came across the Bugera. The Bugera owns all over it for a "modern" high gain metal sound and bell chimey cleans. Whoever recommended keeping the Windsor over the 6262 has never played it. Period.
A Peavy Windsor better than a Bugera 6262?? FAIL. Fail all over that. Funny rediculous fail. Speaking as someone who owns a 6262, I tried a Peavy Windsor half stack before I came across the Bugera. The Bugera owns all over it for a "modern" high gain metal sound and bell chimey cleans. Whoever recommended keeping the Windsor over the 6262 has never played it. Period.

You sir have lost all credibility.

Its NOT a matter of tone with a bugera. I'm pretty sure we all agree that bugeras' have an amazing tone for the price. But their reliability is more than questionable. That is NOT just a rumor, there are lots of reports of Bugera amps breaking after a month or so.

TS:
Do you have a decent budget of any kind? You can pick up a nice amp for cleans then A/B them. If you can afford it, grab a Roland Jazz Chorus and use that for your cleans.

Alternatively you can get your windsor modded for cleans but i dont think that would sound as good as another amp specialized for cleans.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at May 1, 2008,
Quote by .arkness:.
You sir have lost all credibility.

Its NOT a matter of tone with a bugera. I'm pretty sure we all agree that bugeras' have an amazing tone for the price. But their reliability is more than questionable. That is NOT just a rumor, there are lots of reports of Bugera amps breaking after a month or so.

TS:
Do you have a decent budget of any kind? You can pick up a nice amp for cleans then A/B them. If you can afford it, grab a Roland Jazz Chorus and use that for your cleans.

Alternatively you can get your windsor modded for cleans but i dont think that would sound as good as another amp specialized for cleans.

Lots of reports?? How do you determine what lots are?? Show me. Provide links. I've seen/heard maybe six or seven. Back that talk up. Talk about credibility...sheesh.

I never pwnd myself off as credible anyway! But I'll tell you this - if you think a Peavy Windsor has better tone than a Bugera 6262 you need to clean the kangaroos out of your ears.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at May 1, 2008,
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Lots of reports?? How do you determine what lots are?? Show me. Provide links. I've seen/heard maybe six or seven. Back that talk up. Talk about credibility...sheesh.

I never pwnd myself off as credible anyway! But I'll tell you this - if you think a Peavy Windsor has better tone than a Bugera 6262 you need to clean the kangaroos out of your ears.

1. your last comment was rude and personally offensive.

2. i NEVER said that a windsor had better tone. perhaps someone needs to clean their eyes?

3. I have seen numerous reports on these forusm of people who have owned the amp for less than three months and have had them break. yes, there are 6-7 of them, on this forum alone. A VERY small amount of guitarist actually go onto forums.

They have not been out long enough to have numerous reports of unreliability, thats a given. But with the reports of people who own bugera amps who have had theirs break down it makes for a very bad impression.

Quote by Fama
Mine suddenly started making this strange noise (kinda like static) and then blew the fuse. Blew a new fuse (same specs) right away. Probably tube problem? But meh, I don't know a thing about changing tubes, so I just sent it back and got a new one.
seen here

I know another report on these forums of someones who's bugera made a loud pop and failed tot urn on from there on out.

I remember one instance of someone on these forums who was trying a bugera out IN THE STORE. It made a loud pop, the lights flickered in the store and the amp was fried.

If thats not enough to convince you then so be it. But stop going on every single bugera thread and talking the world about them. you have NOT owned the amp long enough to judge the reliability.

I hope the best for your amp, but dont come crying to us if it blows.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at May 1, 2008,
Please calm down. It isn't that big a deal. Seriously. OK, Bugeras are horribley unreliable amps. I got your point. I'll just sit around and wait for mine to break then. Good day sir.
Fact: The Bugera tone in INCREDIBLE for the price....much closer to $1000 + tube amps.
Fact: People have been complaining about certain issues with Bugera amps
Also Fact: MOST of those problems are user error, or associated with the user.
Also Fact: 6 or 7 does not make up an entire population of guitarists.
Also Fact: At the time of this post, there are 868,477 members of the UG forums.... not a lot of guitarists post here??
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace

What do you mean with this?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Fact: The Bugera tone in INCREDIBLE for the price....much closer to $1000 + tube amps.
Fact: People have been complaining about certain issues with Bugera amps
Also Fact: 6 or 7 does not make up an entire population of guitarists.
Also Fact: At the time of this post, there are 868,477 members of the UG forums.... not a lot of guitarists post here??

Ok i see where you coming from. I do know a lot of the problems are user error. But dont you fidn it strange that there are a lot of 'user error' reports. If those users were on a similarly priced tube amp and did the same thing, the amp would not have blown. "User error" would be, say, turning the amp on without letting it warm up. On a reliable amp that would just shorten the span of the tubes slightly. On the bugera it seemed to have blown the tube.

i know 6 or 7 guitarist doesnt make teh entire population. I was saying that there mgiht be 20 or so posters on this forum who own bugera. Im not sure. 6 out of 20 for failed amps is a HIGH number. %30 failure rate.

over 800k members of the ug forum. only about %20 of those are active. in fact right now there are about 436 people on these forums. no where near your 800k mark.

I do realize i was overly aggressive in my previous posts but that was mostly in reply to TheEsupremacy. in my eyes he is nothing more than a fanboy who doesnt want people speaking bad of his amp.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by Fama

Bugera has come out and said that most of the problems are caused by the user, or could have been prevented if the user knew what he/she was doing with a valve amplifier.
Quote by Fama

Fama, I'm sure he isn't meaning you. I read your story. NOT user error. Power issues seem to be the majority of Bugera problems. The amp directions give a (mandatory) way of turning it on, and a suggestive way of turning it off. I think some people have crappy (fluctuating power) in their homes and this leads to a certain amount of failures. Unacceptable? Well, yes, but problems take time to iron out. These amps are pretty new.
Just another reason to buy a power conditioner :P
^ehh, shouldn't have to buy one to ensure your amp doesn't blow.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Just another reason to buy a power conditioner :P

Exactly!!!!! I have mine plugged into an APC unit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace

yeah, I'm also curious how you know it's "mostly" the users at fault. What exactly are people doing that's causing them to fail? Leaving it in standby, or even turning it on without letting it warm up, shouldn't kill an amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by .arkness:.
^ehh, shouldn't have to buy one to ensure your amp doesn't blow.

Please, just stop.
I would have to agree ERock, but theese guys are new. Ask Mr. Splawn if he had issues when starting...im sure he did....
Quote by Erock503
yeah, I'm also curious how you know it's "mostly" the users at fault. What exactly are people doing that's causing them to fail? Leaving it in standby, or even turning it on without letting it warm up, shouldn't kill an amp.

cranking it immediatly without letting it warm up for example. letting it run without a load is another possibility.
Bugera owners have the sandiest vaginas. I think the gut shots of the Bugeras speak for themselves....

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Please, just stop.

I am making perfectly valid points however

Seriously, you shouldnt have to buy a power conditioner to ensure your amp doesnt blow.

They are a new brand, they will have kinks.

Anyway, im tired. i better go clean those kangaroos out of my ears and hit the hay. heh.

Those guts are discusting and those pots are TINY.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by nebiru
Bugera owners have the sandiest vaginas. I think the gut shots of the Bugeras speak for themselves....

Obviously not a Mesa eh? The sandy vagina comment was really gay by the way.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I would have to agree ERock, but theese guys are new. Ask Mr. Splawn if he had issues when starting...im sure he did....

well, if your bringing up Splawn, no, he has not released an amp that's had reliability issues. He wouldn't release it if it did. Splawn made his name modding Marshalls before he ever started his own company. That's not to say a new production line amp can't have problems, Marshall released the DSL/TSL with all kinds of issues at first, so I understand your point. I really do hope that's all it is, but I'm skeptical at this point. I'm all about sound though, I could care less about a name. I own one of the most hated amps on any forum, lol.

Quote by The red Strat.
cranking it immediatly without letting it warm up for example. letting it run without a load is another possibility.

I could see cranking it killing tubes, but it shouldn't kill the amp IMO. The no load thing I could definitely see killing them, lol.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 1, 2008,
Listen, no Bugera owner is going to be silly enough to claim the amp is some be all, end all compitition to Marshall, Mesa, Laney, etc: They simply arn't. At least I know that. BUT, FOR THE MONEY, if you need a solid "metal" amp with massive amounts of gain, and above average cleans, this isn't a bad amp to take a risk on. It really does the job IF it doesn't blow up I guess. I must admit, that internal pic doesn't look good.
Quote by Erock503
well, if your bringing up Splawn, no, he has not released an amp that's had reliability issues. He wouldn't release it if it did. Splawn made his name modding Marshalls before he ever started his own company. That's not to say a new production line amp can't have problems, Marshall released the DSL/TSL with all kinds of issues at first, so I understand your point. I really do hope that's all it is, but I'm skeptical at this point. I'm all about sound though, I could care less about a name. I own one of the most hated amps on any forum, lol.

I could see cranking it killing tubes, but it shouldn't kill the amp IMO. The no load thing I could definitely see killing them, lol.

You know I mean well with comments, and I understand about Splawn, but I think you hit on my point with the production amps. IMO these are better than the TSL/DSL, but that's just me. I am buying a 6262 head in a few weeks, and taking a BIG leap on it. I am not one to jump into anything without knowing all the facts, so I've kind of buffered up on info...so I just hope to God it works....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
You know I mean well with comments, and I understand about Splawn, but I think you hit on my point with the production amps. IMO these are better than the TSL/DSL, but that's just me. I am buying a 6262 head in a few weeks, and taking a BIG leap on it. I am not one to jump into anything without knowing all the facts, so I've kind of buffered up on info...so I just hope to God it works....

yeah, I understand man. I hope it works out for you too. One thing I would advise though, if the store you're getting it at offers an extended warranty, get it. I was reading up on the Bugera warranty for a friend, and it looked awfully sketchy. They don't want you to even open it up, or it voids the warranty. Any work has to be done by a Behringer service center. That includes changing tubes and biasing, otherwise it voids the warranty. If you do crack it open, make sure there is no way to tell that you were ever in there. Good luck mang.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Fama, I'm sure he isn't meaning you. I read your story. NOT user error. Power issues seem to be the majority of Bugera problems. The amp directions give a (mandatory) way of turning it on, and a suggestive way of turning it off. I think some people have crappy (fluctuating power) in their homes and this leads to a certain amount of failures. Unacceptable? Well, yes, but problems take time to iron out. These amps are pretty new.

I know he doesn't mean me. Also, to the comment of blowing tubes, not amp, I don't know if I blew a tube or an amp. And that might be part of the problem.

It's a budget amp. Thus, it might be the first tube amp people get. They don't know a thing about tubes, and even if they just blow a tube, the amp is "broken". At least that's how I react (if I just blew a tube).

Edit: I second the extended warranty. I was a bit afraid I might get in trouble for replacing the fuse, but Thomann just replaced my amp I guess.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Fama
I know he doesn't mean me. Also, to the comment of blowing tubes, not amp, I don't know if I blew a tube or an amp. And that might be part of the problem.

It's a budget amp. Thus, it might be the first tube amp people get. They don't know a thing about tubes, and even if they just blow a tube, the amp is "broken". At least that's how I react (if I just blew a tube).

Edit: I second the extended warranty. I was a bit afraid I might get in trouble for replacing the fuse, but Thomann just replaced my amp I guess.

So you have your new one already? How's the new one doing?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
So you have your new one already? How's the new one doing?

Yeah, I've had it for a few weeks. It's great, no problems at all.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Page 1 of 2