*Edit = Changed thread title and decided to make this my thread for updates.

Will this work out for removing the paint of a guitar, and will I need to use sandpaper ?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9714689
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
Last edited by Victor Manuel at May 6, 2008,
yes it will work and you will need to buy sandpaper
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Like what grit? Real fine?
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
Pretty coarse at first. Then you work up to finer grits. But it depends on what you're trying to achieve.
I'm going to paint black, it's butter scotch.
Quote by Kanthras
Then I'd just use the coarse stuff for a while until you're through to the primer (or you could just scuff sand it so the new colour will stick, but I think it's bad form to just leave old paintjobs) and then go up a few grades and respray.
Start with 180 to get off the paint, then go to 220, 320, and 400 then you can paint.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You'll need sandpaper, but it's cheaper to hand-sand. I used 100-grit to sand my finish off but I think I should've gone to a lower grit. I was covering it up with fuzz so it was good enough for the glue to stick to, but coarser sandpaper is a good idea.
I got the palm sander for like $15 and some coarse and fine grit paper. I'll start tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your input.
Quote by Kanthras
Should I keep sanding it until all the "white" is gone like the portion at the top or does it look ready for primer?

Quote by Kanthras
you could probably just sand it real fast with 220, scuff it with a scotch brite pad and paint over the existing paint, no? With 2 part base/clear automotive finishes you can do that...

nevermind... didnt notice you're already through to the wood
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
This is what it looked like before

Ready for primer

Paint

First coat of primer

I'll take a break and then apply another coat of primer.
Quote by Kanthras
sweet, please keep adding step by step pics, will be doing this process soon myself.

thanks!
More updates

First coat of black paint and wet sanded for smoothness

About 3 coats of black paint and that is it for today.

Quote by Kanthras
You will find the poly in the can you bought isnt very durable. Its not the same as poly paint thats used on guitar bodies at the factory.
Quote by Tackleberry
You will find the poly in the can you bought isnt very durable. Its not the same as poly paint thats used on guitar bodies at the factory.

What do you recommend?

And this came in the mail today.

Quote by Kanthras
Here it is.

Quote by Kanthras
Pictures are a little hard to see, so i can't really tell how the pickguard looks on there, but it looks like it turned out great!
How are you liking the crunchy rails pickup?
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.