I have a terrible action problem with my old Fender USA Jazz Plus. I've lightened my technique, as I do play fairly aggressively, I've had it set up twice now, I've tried different strings and gauges and I've even moved to play at the bridge, but the action and I just do not agree with each other. It's got this annoying clunky sound I never had with my old starter.

So, my question: Would replacing the bridge improve, in anyway, action? I'll admit I'm rather ignorant when it comes to the subject, I've always just taken my basses to a store for action changes, out of fear of breaking something. If a new bridge wouldn't do the job, do you have any ideas as to what might? It's really starting to bug me and I'm actually considering selling it, even though I adore the tone.
Last edited by RJayZ at Apr 30, 2008,
What do you mean, are the strings too far off the fretboard, too low, just doesn't seem to feel right, be a little more specific in your problem. And if as you said you've taken it to get set up and it still doesn't feel right maybe its just the way you're playing.
I think neck relief and NECK ANGLE!! is more important when it comes to clackiness than actual action. Yes, raising action does lessen clank, however, you can still have high action with clanking, especially in the upper frets. First of all, neck relief must be checked - fret the first fret and the last fret and check the space from the string to the 8th fret. Try to get about a dime's thickness. Now, shimming a neck from proper neck angle is super, super, super important, but IMO should be left to a professional that knows what they're doing. Neck angle can make or break an instrument.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think neck relief and NECK ANGLE!! is more important when it comes to clackiness than actual action. Yes, raising action does lessen clank, however, you can still have high action with clanking, especially in the upper frets. First of all, neck relief must be checked - fret the first fret and the last fret and check the space from the string to the 8th fret. Try to get about a dime's thickness. Now, shimming a neck from proper neck angle is super, super, super important, but IMO should be left to a professional that knows what they're doing. Neck angle can make or break an instrument.

thats good advice, you may want to take it to a store to get a neck setup, they will adjust your action as well. fortunately my friend is a guitar tech, and i've had my action changed twice in the past month. free for me, but will cost a pretty penny for you if your not so fortunate in your friends.

anyways, what he adjusted was the neck, not the action, thats secondary really, and you can fix that yourself. does the action keep changing after you've raised it? sometimes the little hex screw that supports the saddle can get loose and drop down from the vibration of the instrument, in that case i'd recommend a new saddle or bridge. you can get a saddle for pennies, and a good new bridge isnt all that much, try ebay.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."