My guitar teacher said amp distortion is always better then using a pedal. I have a randall rx120 (it's a solid state half stack) and I've been using the clean channel and a metal muff... is using amp distortion always better? (like in my case) I mainly play old death/thrash metal like Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, Celtic Frost, Sepultura, Testament, etc.
In a solid state amp, since the distortion is not natural, it doesn't really matter. It comes down to personal preference. A tube amp's distortion is due to driving the tubes, so it sounds more natural, so to speak. With tubes amps you would use an overdrive if you wanted more gain.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
you've been lied to.

the best distortion is the distortion that you like the most. A lot of people prefer tube amp distortion to solid state pedals, but its all personal preference
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
i like using a pedal because it allows me to switch between clean and distorted easier b/c i dont have a foot switch, or a good amp, but also think a distortion pedal on clean gets better toneality, for me at least
Quote by cedaguol
it's better if you're using a nice tube amp...

Not necessarily. A quality ss amp will have tonal characteristics that a tube amp can't replicate.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I always go after amp distortion! Right now I'm playing a Randall RH150G3 which is a hybrid amp (it has one tube)! I bought my Randall 'cause I really liked the distortion and the power of the amp! I would never use pedal distortion but it's all about preferences....

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3