would this work out? i've got a nice piece of cypress and i'm wondering if i could use this for a guitar body. it is very hard, heavy, and dense. i just dont want to get started and end up with a crappy guitar. thanks.
Jackson Customization. Check It Out!!

*New* Jackson DX10D (Under Construction)
Gibson SG Faded Special (faded cherry)
ibanez acoustic

$$NEW$$ Epiphone So Cal 50 Stack In Mail $$NEW$$
line 6 SPIDER 2 112 combo
Metal Muff
Weeping Demon
It will work. Wood does not make a guitars tone what it is. It is mainly the amp and pickups that do.

But if you use cypress, you should leave it bear. From what pictures of cypress I have seen, it has very cool grain lines.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
Wood is the first thing that starts the tone. If the wood is open grained the guitar will resonate more causing more sustain and a warmer tone. If it's tight grained it will lessen sustain and brighten tone. I don't know which Cypress is, I've never worked with it.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
its a terrible tone wood, where as it is dense and heavy, does not transfer vibration very well. but yeah, no reason why you cannot use it, i believe it is hard enough. i wouldnt use it for a neck, for sure.

woods not much for tone on electric guitars though, you should be fine. electric guitars are practically all pickup/amp.
fight the power that be
Quote by Guitarzan1143
its a terrible tone wood, where as it is dense and heavy, does not transfer vibration very well. but yeah, no reason why you cannot use it, i believe it is hard enough. i wouldnt use it for a neck, for sure.

woods not much for tone on electric guitars though, you should be fine. electric guitars are practically all pickup/amp.

On that note I wouldn't use it
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by colbywitagibson
would this work out? i've got a nice piece of cypress and i'm wondering if i could use this for a guitar body. it is very hard, heavy, and dense. i just dont want to get started and end up with a crappy guitar. thanks.

In the world of acoustic guitars it is considared to be a very good back and side wood for certain types of nylon string guitars. I don't know how it would work on electric guitars but I would think that it's worth a shot.
Not taking any online orders.