Hello guys. I want to learn an instrument for a punk band. I was wondering which would be easier for a beginner for that genre of music, electric guitar or bass.
I realize both instruments are difficult in there own way's and for different types of music, but I AM ONLY speaking about street punk type music like below.
If your drawn to both still being just as hard, what are the pro's and con's of both for what I am looking to do?

Some example bands that would inspire the sound are below so you can get a better idea of what I would be trying to accomplish.

1. THE CASUALTIES http://www.myspace.com/schulzm

2. GBH http://www.myspace.com/gbh

3. STATIC THOUGHT http://www.myspace.com/staticthought
Last edited by 3rdschulz at May 1, 2008,
don't pick the "easier" one. pick the one you feel you would enjoy more.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Street punk?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by DiveRightIn63
don't pick the "easier" one. pick the one you feel you would enjoy more.

I agree.
Set-Up:
- Ibanez RGA42FM
- Epiphone Les Paul Special II
- Crate 15W Amp
- Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
- Line 6 Pocket Pod

- Peavey International II Drum Set (Cherry Red)
- Zildjian Cymbals
- Evans Heads with Remo E-Rings
Neither are easier. They are both different instruments, and what is hard on bass is different from what is hard on the guitar. Victor Wooten is just as talented at bass as Joe Satriani is at guitar.
Quote by 3rdschulz
Which is best for a vocalist you think?

Guitar by a mile - playing bass and singing is a nightmare.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Guitar by a mile - playing bass and singing is a nightmare.

unless you're playing punk. i find bass easier to sing with.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
if you are playing punk, they are basically the same. the hard part of bass is that you will need more strength to push down. for the guitar, you will use more than one finger to fret..

edit: by more fingers I mean that you will use chords, and will use more fingers for each strum as aposed to using one note at a time like bass
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
go for guitar
after a month of playing u shud probably nail most blink 182 type songs
they're easy as, but pretty cool to play
and for real punk, i only have 2 words for you... sex pistols

guitar all the way
Neither is easier. It's all about how much effort you put into it. But I suggest playing bass. It's not as popular. That means it will be easier for you to find bands to play in. Bass is more in demand.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Phail. The phail pail is pleased.

How so? In a crusty-punk setting both are easy. Between playing bass lines on the same string and the same 3 power chords, choosing which one is more difficult is trivial.
Quote by Siren Silently
How so? In a crusty-punk setting both are easy. Between playing bass lines on the same string and the same 3 power chords, choosing which one is more difficult is trivial.

however, saying "bass is way easy" as a standalone statement is very untrue, and unfair. think of what a bassist has to do in order to be more appealing and in order to really stand out in the mix compared to a guitar.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

See if you can try both guitar and bass, and although you may not know how to play, if you try hitting a few notes you may find you like one better than the other. I personally play both bass and guitar. Once you learn something on one you can pretty much play it on the other.
Physically the bass may be more difficult as far as reaching notes on the longer scale and thicker strings, but it's role in music is slightly less complex. Rhythm and consistency will be more important than harmonic content or speed. Your decision should not be based on what is easier because "easy" quickly becomes "boring".
Quote by wildyoda2
Physically the bass may be more difficult as far as reaching notes on the longer scale and thicker strings, but it's role in music is slightly less complex. Rhythm and consistency will be more important than harmonic content or speed. Your decision should not be based on what is easier because "easy" quickly becomes "boring".

While I agree fully with the final statement, the rest is almost all rubbish. If you think a bass doesn't matter harmonically, you have clearly never heard a bassist tuned badly. Bad harmonic content in a bass line makes everything else sound bad as well.

Speed is the same. For both guitar and bass, you need as much speed as you choose to use. If anything, for bass having the speed is harder for fast genres such as grind due to the heavier strings, and using your fingers if you play fingerstyle takes more practise to have pace than using a pick.

Bass is as simply or as complex as you make it, like any instrument.

While playing guitar and singing is probably easier (the precision a bassist needs in his rhythms is very had to keep while singing at the same time), go for what appeals to you more. Neither is impossible at all. Just go for what will keep you happy, rather than filling in a role. If you are just doing it to fill in a role, I would suggest looking for someone else to play the instrument.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
While I agree fully with the final statement, the rest is almost all rubbish. If you think a bass doesn't matter harmonically, you have clearly never heard a bassist tuned badly. Bad harmonic content in a bass line makes everything else sound bad as well.

Speed is the same. For both guitar and bass, you need as much speed as you choose to use. If anything, for bass having the speed is harder for fast genres such as grind due to the heavier strings, and using your fingers if you play fingerstyle takes more practise to have pace than using a pick.

Bass is as simply or as complex as you make it, like any instrument.

While playing guitar and singing is probably easier (the precision a bassist needs in his rhythms is very had to keep while singing at the same time), go for what appeals to you more. Neither is impossible at all. Just go for what will keep you happy, rather than filling in a role. If you are just doing it to fill in a role, I would suggest looking for someone else to play the instrument.

I never said the bass doesn't matter harmonically or that speed isn't necessary to play the bass. Reread my post. Playing guitar and singing is NOT easier than playing the bass and singing. Bassists don't need to be as precise, that's why everything's BIGGER on a bass. In fact many basses don't have frets. Try answering the original question.
Quote by wildyoda2
I never said the bass doesn't matter harmonically or that speed isn't necessary to play the bass. Reread my post. Playing guitar and singing is NOT easier than playing the bass and singing. Bassists don't need to be as precise, that's why everything's BIGGER on a bass. In fact many basses don't have frets. Try answering the original question.

Without frets, your fingers need to be positioned exactly where the frets would be, or you will be out of tune. Fretless is far harder than fretted.

The reason playing bass is harder than struming chords is the precision of the rhythms the bass must play. The guitars can generally get away with playing a chord a bit out of time. Bassists can't. This because expecially difficult when you are trying to play one rhythm and sing another. It is simply a matter of what you can get away with that makes bass harder to sing with than guitar, when you talk about similarly level pieces for both instruments.

Just because everything is bigger does not make it easier. The heavier string guages mean you need more force behind your fretting, and the bigger streches required can be an absolute pain in the backside for people with smaller hands.

The point I was trying to make is that the role of the bass in music is as complex as you make it. You could pound roots, you could do a Primus-esque lead slapping riff. In a similar vien, you can strum power chord in a lose rhythm or you can do 6 string sweeps.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Almost anybody can play bass and get by, but a good play player can make the band. It depends on if you want to just get by, or kick a@@. I would learn both and see what fits.
I've heard some crazy basslines in Punk so I say guitar
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Punk? Go with a guitar. You can do easy stuff like power chords or advance tapping and sweep picking.