Page 1 of 5
As you all know, I am a big fan of collecting and listening to unofficial live recordings, otherwise known as bootlegs. I've decided to start this thread for a few reasons, which mainly include promoting the UG lossless hub, helping those new to the whole bootleg thing, and to share and discuss some great live music.

So I hereby welcome you to the Classic Rock Bootleg Thread.

Bittorrents

Let me start off by introducing torrents. Bittorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing communication protocol. Many websites that offer bootlegs utilize torrents as a method of downloading, and thus require the use of a Bittorrent client to download the .torrent file. You can read more about Bittorrents here and see a list of clients here. For the record, I use uTorrent, and have had no problems whatsoever. It also might be of interest to know that a seeder is someone with a complete copy of a bootleg and offers it up for others to download. A leecher is someone who is downloading a show. The term is also used to describe someone who downloads excessively without seeding. NOTE: Torrents do not download quickly. Be patient. The more seeders there are, the faster a show will download.

Lossless Files
Nearly every resource for downloadable bootlegs contains lossless music files. Lossless compression in the form of lossless files (FLAC, shn, etc.) are simply a form of compression that exactly preserves the sound quality of the original sound file. MP3, WMA AND M4A ARE NOT LOSSLESS, THEY ARE LOSSY and they are not to be traded on the sites I am about to mention. It is also worth a mention that many traders who trade by mail prefer lossless to lossy. NOTE: You need a special music player/plugin in order to listen to lossless files. Popular choices are foobar and winamp.

Where can I get these bootlegs?
There are a variety of different ways to obtain bootlegs.

1) http://www.dimeadozen.org/
Dimeadozen is a collectors dream. This site is a torrent site and has nearly everything you can think of. If a show was recorded, odds are you can find it on Dime. It requires registration as well as a ratio enforcement cycle (meaning you have to seed music if you plan on downloading. If you don't meet the ratio requirements, you can lose your downloading privilege). More info here: http://wiki.dimeadozen.org/index.php/Main_Page

2) http://bt.etree.org/
Etree is a torrent site that features torrents from TRADE FRIENDLY artists only. All you Grateful Dead, Phish, Black Crowes and Gov't Mule fans, this is the website for you. There is no registration required, and there is no ratio enforcement, so you're free to leech away as you please (though it's always nice to think of other traders and leave your download windows open after the download finishes ).

3) http://www.thetradersden.org/
The Trader's Den is another torrent site, similar to Dime. I believe this site requires registration as well, and might enforce a ratio rule as well (I'm not sure about the ratio, I use this site as a backup if the first two and my DC++ hubs fail).

4) http://www.tapecity.org/
Tapecity is a torrent site similar to Trader's Den and Dime. I believe it requires registration and I don't think it enforces a ratio rule. I use this as a backup as well.

5) http://www.bootlegzone.com/index.php
Trading the old fashioned way. Bootleg Zone is where I got my start. It is simply a database for shows that users have, and you can send a message to a user and request a trade by mail.

6) http://db.etree.org/
Etree is a gigantic database for live show recordings. If a show was taped, it'll be listed in this database. While this site does link to the bt.etree site I listed before, you can't download anything directly from it, but rather access other users' tradelists and email addresses to set up a trade by mail. This database has a much larger selection and many more users then the aforementioned Bootleg Zone.

7) DC++ Hubs
I am a part of 5 DC++ Hubs (one of which I run), and they are a great way to obtain some awesome live music. They run similar to torrent sites, but instead of downloading bits of the files you want, you downloading entire files directly from a user. DC++ hubs require a separate software called a DC++ client (if you are interested, search DC++ client on google and you'll come up with a ton of different clients), and usually require registration on a separate website (I can provide links to the 5 hubs I'm a part of if people decide to go this route). One important thing about DC++ hubs- most, if not all, require that you SHARE the music you download. That means you need a place to store the files you download, and you need a lot of space to do so, seeing as lossless files are huge (external hard drives are getting cheaper by the second, I highly recommend investing in one if you plan on doing any kind of bootleg downloading at all).

The UG Classic Rock Hub ***NOT OPERATING ANYMORE***
I originally intended on this to be super private, but since interest is fading, I'll open it up to the public (at my discretion). This is a DC++ hub I run privately from my computer. Registration is required, but all you need to do is PM me saying you're interested, and if I give you the ok to join, I'll ask for you to choose a username and password. You'll need a DC++ client (I recommend going to the http://www.echoeshub.com/ website and download their trading software package, which includes a client, a lossless player, and Trader's Little Helper- an all purpose lossless file tool), and once you have that, I'll send you the hub's address.

What the hell did I just say?
If all of what I just explains makes no sense to you whatsoever, or you just can't get anything to work on your computer, there is still hope if you are interested in bootleg collecting. I am open to B&Ps (read more about how to do that here: http://www.mcnichol.com/bnp/) and straight up trades by mail, just PM me with an offer (Mike- Thefallofman -can testify to this, I sent him two DVD RWs full of shows recently). My tradelist is located here: http://db.etree.org/BrainDamage and contains most of what I have...I'm a little slow to update it sometimes, but a majority of my shows are on there.

B&P (Blanks and Postage)
Ok so torrents won't work and since you're just starting up a collection, you've got no trade bait for other traders...now what? A B&P is your answer. B&P stands for blanks and postage, and in short basically what it is is that you send a trader blank discs in the mail, on which the trader burns the shows you requested and returns the discs to you. Postage is pre-paid by the person requesting the trade, and you can read more about how that works and how a B&P in general works here. I am always open to a B&P, just shoot me an offer in the thread, via PM, etc.

And last, but absolutely not least-
NEVER SHARE, DOWNLOAD, OR DISCUSS THE TRADING OF ANY OFFICIALY RELEASED MATERIAL. We don't want to get into any legal trouble here, so stick to the unofficial stuff, k?

PM me for more details if anyone is still confused.

Happy trading
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by metalfan#3

I'm making a promise to make an attempt to get my DC++ client working for the hub by this weekend

Attaboy!

Hey, I'm Mike.
Can anyone recommend me a killer Cream bootleg?
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
Can anyone recommend me a killer Cream bootleg?
Only one I have right now is the 2005-10-24 reunion show I was at, which is good, but there's a great quality recording (if this is the one I'm thinking of that I had a while back but lost) from 1967-10-15 at the Grand Ballroom in Michigan. There's also a 20 CD set called Cream Remasters that includes the Grand Ballroom set and many others (some of which includes studio outtakes I believe).
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by metalfan#3
I think Matt's threat of banning me finally gave me some incentive .
That threat is going to turn into a reality pretty quick if you don't get your ass onto this hub. Go ahead, try me
Quote by Thefallofman
How about any Allman Brother's shows? What I'm interested in is the performance at Stony Brook, but its been officially released, even though there have been plenty of bootlegs of it (I think), so downloading that is illegal isn't it?
Also, aren't lossless files really big? That'd be kind of a pain for those of us who have a limited download/upload limit :P
Hi guys, I'm really interested in starting a bootleg collection and have been for a while, so I;m real glad this thread has come up, good job!

I was just wondering, if I wanted to use Bootleg zone, how would I go about starting? (considering my collection now amounts to about zilch . . . no sorry, maybe one or two shows). Is it best to acquire a few shows first, making it possible to trade?

The reason I prefer the sound of this method is because hopefully I'll be going to Uni in September, and the Uni I'm going to I've heard has a network ban on downloading music, so it'd be quite a kick in the nuts to get going on this then having to stop.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Quote by Wood & Metal
How about any Allman Brother's shows? What I'm interested in is the performance at Stony Brook, but its been officially released, even though there have been plenty of bootlegs of it (I think), so downloading that is illegal isn't it?
I'm assuming you mean this. If the entire show was officially released, why bother with an audience recording? Plus, I believe it is one of the Allman Brothers' policies to not have bootlegs available for download, but rather for traditional trading by mail.

Quote by Wood & Metal
Also, aren't lossless files really big? That'd be kind of a pain for those of us who have a limited download/upload limit :P
Three words: external hard drive. I've got two, one's a 500 GB for all my bootlegs (both lossless and lossy) and the other is a 100 GB for the officially released stuff I own. I'm down to about 100 GB on my 500 gig drive, it's almost time for a new one.

Quote by Froddy
Hi guys, I'm really interested in starting a bootleg collection and have been for a while, so I;m real glad this thread has come up, good job!

I was just wondering, if I wanted to use Bootleg zone, how would I go about starting? (considering my collection now amounts to about zilch . . . no sorry, maybe one or two shows). Is it best to acquire a few shows first, making it possible to trade?
If you want to try and get torrents to run on your computer and you have the hard drive space, that would be a great start. If you want to stick to conventional trading by mail, you could always ask for a B&P from a trader (check the first post of this thread, I edited in a section on B&Ps).
Quote by Thefallofman
Will FLAC work on a Creative Zen V mp3 player?
Also is there a plugin to get it to work in Windows Media Player?
Quote by negativecreep92
I have no idea.
Quote by negativecreep92
No.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by negativecreep92

I use Foobar2000 for FLACs and I like it a lot more than Windows Media Player.
Hey, I'm Mike.
^^I use both. All my officially released stuff is stored in Windows Media Player, and I use foobar to listen to live shows.

Well, Kory hasn't PMed me about the hub, I think someone's looking for a ban
Quote by Thefallofman
I almost got banned for postin boot links a month or 2 ago. UG apparently came around?

Is there any good media players that are compatible with ipods? WMP is utterly atrocious. Itunes is what I am using now, but I am havin tons of trouble with it.
Quote by MAYNARD
I almost got banned for postin boot links a month or 2 ago. UG apparently came around?
We've never had any problems here in the Classic Rock section

Quote by MAYNARD
Is there any good media players that are compatible with ipods? WMP is utterly atrocious. Itunes is what I am using now, but I am havin tons of trouble with it.
I would assume Itunes would be your best bet with an Ipod. I'm against Itunes and Ipods to begin with, so I don't own an Ipod, but rather a Creative Zen and that works fine with Windows Media Player.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^I use both. All my officially released stuff is stored in Windows Media Player, and I use foobar to listen to live shows.

Well, Kory hasn't PMed me about the hub, I think someone's looking for a ban

Matt, I promise promise promise I'll be a part by Saturday night. That's when it's going down .

All of my stuff will be available for upload, but no downloading for me since I'm officially out of space on my computer .
^^Buy an external hard drive. You can get some hard drives ridiculously cheap these days. And if you're not on by Saturday, I'm banning you from this site
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^Buy an external hard drive. You can get some hard drives ridiculously cheap these days. And if you're not on by Saturday, I'm banning you from this site

Sunday morning, I'll be doing it Saturday night .

Edit: And I want to see the same swift vengeance exacted on The Heartbreaker and P&H Fan .
^^Unless you want to get it over with right now

And nah, they're safe. You're the one on the chopping block if you don't join
Quote by Thefallofman
*Bump*

Come on in and join the hub folks, even if just to chat. Sharing is not required, you can leech all you want from me, Mike, and Kory
Quote by Thefallofman
Okay I've downloaded the stuff from echoeshub, how do I join your chat? I don't think I'm going to be downloading just yet, I may be getting a new HDD next week though - only 15 GB free on this one. Not necessarily a bad thing, I can only learn more in this week

^^PM me with a username and password of your choice and I'll add you, then give you my hub address.

Did you actually join EchoesHub or just download the DC++ software from there? They have some pretty strict sharing rules for new users, so I'd watch out, especially with the limited space you have on your hard drive.
Quote by Thefallofman
Woops I joined, is that a bad thing? I suppose I could just cancel my account until I get everything sorted, I might get an external like you recommended.

^^Nah, it's not a bad thing, you're just part of that hub now as well. I wouldn't even log in yet if you don't plan to download anything. I believe you have to re-register after 30 (?) days of inactivity, so if you get an external drive in that time period, you can get in there and start grabbing some shows. If not, just re-register.

By the way, check your PMs, I registered you to my hub.
Quote by Thefallofman
Would anybody know what program(preferably free) I need to convert and/or burn .vob files?
try this...from that create .avi files and then burn using media player or something :
http://www.dvdvideoconverter.com/vob/

BUT WHY CONVERT THEM ANYWAY??? Are you sure media player/quicktime cannot burn them straight across?
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
Quote by negativecreep92

AFAIK FLAC isn't compatible with Creative Zen. Atleast my Zen Stone doesn't accept it.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I got a few questions.

I downloaded my first leg off dime a dozen after instaling bit torrent and winnap to play the files.

how do I get the files on my Ipod/CD?

how do I seed? its the one thing I never understood.
You have to convert to .wav to get them on CD, at least that is what I do. I'm sure you could convert to mp3 or something too. Then after burning to CD, put the files on your Ipod like you would do normally.

Just leave the file open in your bitorrent program after it has finished downloading to keep seeding.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
CALLING ALL ZEPPELIN FANS:

is there a bootleg from the show that's on the first disc of the desert dvd? it's from the royal albert hall. honestly, that is easily one of the best shows i've ever heard. dazed and confused is absolutely unreal...
^^Yes there is. 1970-01-09, Royal Albert Hall.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by DayTripper1967
CALLING ALL ZEPPELIN FANS:

is there a bootleg from the show that's on the first disc of the desert dvd? it's from the royal albert hall. honestly, that is easily one of the best shows i've ever heard. dazed and confused is absolutely unreal...

Yes. Most include Heartbreaker (tape runs out at the end of the solo) and Long Tall Sally as well. I have the Winston Remasters version.
Page 1 of 5