I've been tossing around ideas for recording. I just need something I can use to record riffs to my computer (kinda like to remember things that just pop in my head).

I used to have a RP250 that I had hooked up, but it sorta blew up on me. Since then I've been thinking of mics, preamps, and whatever else, but thinking of the numbers (cost) kept piling up every time I would look at something new.

While at GC, someone showed me the Lightsnake and for $40, I thought it might suit my needs. So I took it home, plugged in my guitar, and threw the cable at the PC. Voila! Recording!

But...

It's just clean...

I don't have any software based effects, and was hoping not to go the route of buying expensive software (I have audacity), but how do I get my effects into play? I have a pedal board (look at my profile) and a couple amps, but how do I chain them together with the Lightsnake? Or can I? I've searched for some threads regarding the Lightsnake, but info has kinda been lacking in what I'm looking for.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for reading all that text!
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Can't figure it out exactly (only experimenting will tell you if this works or not), but try connecting the snake to the pedals, and use a normal instrument cable from the guitar to the pedals. You may want to have a preamp in order to have a good tone (there are tube based ones from Seymour Duncan, though they are pretty expensive they sound great).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Ok...

This is what I tried.

Guitar>pedal board>MicrcoCube>Rec. Out>Lightsnake>PC (Audacity)

I put up two test recordings on my profile (pay no attention to how badly I play...).

What do you think?

My tube amps don't have a "Rec. Out," but could I use the speaker outputs? Also, would a tube preamp be better than using my MicroCube? I only gave it the thought because I remembered the Rec. Out feature on it.

Also, sucky part is I can't hear myself play. I can use the split on the Lightsnake, but that means plugging in yet another amp.

I'd like to use one of my other tube amps to record, and maybe my MicroCube to monitor. Thoughts on this if anyone can.

Thanks again!
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Both your playing and the recording quality are surprisingly good (a limiter or compressor would do wonders). As for your tube amps, you'll need a direct box (like the Tapco DB Active or Behringer DI-600P) set in their speaker settings so that the speaker output won't be too hot a signal. Then you'll need an XLR-TRS (TRS-TRS for the Behringer) cable, and this adapter (or a TRS-TS) to suit your light snake.

It'll be: Amp output (TRS-TRS I believe) -> DI Box (XLR-TRS-adapter) -> Lightsnake. There'll be a through output so you can plug the amp output to the cab.

I highly recommend Sweetwater for basic cables since the shipping's free and the service is terrific. A tube amp (at least your Valveking...maybe the Epi) would be better than a Microcube.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 1, 2008,
Thank you very much for the input and info (and compliment). I was thinking the same thing about a compressor myself. Gonna have to do some shopping.

I'll also have to look at the direct boxes (staring at a Behringer on ebay now).

Thanks again for all the help. I'll see what I can pick up in the next few weeks and go from there!
Actually just did another test mp3 without an amp in the signal chain (I thought an amp of some sort was needed, but I guess not). This time I just used the MicroCube as a monitor.

New MP3 in profile.
Unless you did something over the top distortion-wise with the latest track, I'd suggest keeping it in the chain. Also, which DI box are you bidding on? I think the GI-100 is the only active Behringer that can take speaker level outputs.

As for compression, you can use a VST plugin in Audacity to save money. It'll probably be less noisy than getting a cheap external box.
Quote by keiron_d

Hmmm...

Okay, last test probably for the night... LOL

4th test, this time I lowered the level on my EQ yet more, and used the compression effect in Audacity.

BTW, I really appreciate the help in this.

edit: Done testing tonight I think, but it works better than I expected. Gonna quit for the night before I get ubersloppy.
Last edited by Hakael at May 1, 2008,
Nice, the 4th one now sounds like a Rectifier. I guess that's what you were going for.

One last thing: with compression, you can raise the volume a bit more without there being distortion.
Quote by keiron_d

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 1, 2008,
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Nice, the 4th one now sounds like a Rectifier. I guess that's what you were going for.

One last thing: with compression, you can raise the volume a bit more without there being distortion.

Yup, that's what I was looking for. My main goal in this whole "searching for recording stuff" was to a) replace the RP250 that went belly up, and b) be able to use my own pedal board (and possibly amp) as I preferred those tones to the RP250's emulated amps and effects (not terrible, but not great).

Thanks again for all your help. I'm going to fine tune the settings again after work today and continue with the tests and what not.
Personally, I thought it sounded much better with the amp in the signal path.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Personally, I thought it sounded much better with the amp in the signal path.

I'm caught somewhere in the middle. I like both, but the ability to hear myself play leans me towards keeping it out of the chain.

I didn't get to fiddle with it like I hoped to yesterday (other duties needed to be taken care of), so going to try to get back to working on it tonight.

Any other suggestions or comments would be welcome of course.