I've noticed a bunch of threads with people asking for advice about fights, and I was thinking that since we have an official relationship, politics, and religion thread, maybe there should be one for people talking about their fight problems too?

Ok so I guess this is now the fight thread.

a few words on fighting
Quote by Hultan
Okay, so I've got nothing better to do than to come up with a few words that may be useful to some people, reading this thread.

First, it's all in your head wether you're a good fighter or not, it's alot about intimidation and controling your adrenaline.
Stuffs to avoid:

Don't get angry. I've seen so many people letting their anger fight for them, swinging their right (if they're right handed) arm against you, they also look where they are aiming, so it's really easy to read where they are trying to hit you, even if they switch from right arm and try to start kicking or whatever. So don't let your anger control you.

Don't underestimate your opponent... well, this may sound stupid since you've already went into a fight and you have to fight him anyways, but you should know first who you're fighting... try to analyze (is that the correct word?) the person first, look in his eyes? how calm is this guy? does he seem to have backup?

If you're in a school fight, you will have to be quick so try to hit where people can SEE he's been hit, even though it's hard. But try the nose and maybe he'll start bleeding from there, it sure will look serious, but you'll get into trouble with the teachers that's for sure, so it depends on how you want it

Don't try to use any kicks in a fight, unless you've been training matrial arts for years (I'd say, only use them if you are a kick boxer or something like that and compete in it), being a soccer player doesn't help you when you are gonna kick a human, kicking a human is a whole other thing, which I'm just too lazy to get into details for now.

I'm sure there are hundreds of stuffs to bring up...

Some tricks:
A trick a friend of mine used to do back in the days was to start pushing whoever he was in trouble with, the guy would then push back, then my friend kept pushing harder and harder and so did the other one and after about 3 pushes back and forth he took his opponent's hands and shoved them to the side so he could get his opponent out of balance, and also nothing to parry with... it always worked.

Try to make some cheap tricks, like acting like you're about to hit with your left (if you're right handed), but come with the right instead. Most people fall for this trick, but you've to be really calm if you wanna succeed. Practise with a friend or something, I dunno.

Another one is looking him in the eyes, act like you're gonna hit him or something and try to get in close and then come in with a knee. Do NOT look down in order to aim, because if you do, he will just parry your knee by pulling his legs together, making it impossible for your knee to hit him between the legs.

Oh... and depending on your strength: If you're stronger than him, you might increase your chance of "winning" if you start wresling (sp?) on the ground instead of just hitting/kicking.

EDIT: I bet there's a whole lotta more some of you guys can add to this :P

Also look at http://www.textfiles.com/anarchy/PAIN/target
Last edited by humperdunk at Apr 30, 2008,
I dunno, I aint into those back door shinanigans.
Being eaten by a crocodile is just like going to sleep..... inside a giant blender.
Saw 2 drunk guys fighting on my way home from watching the match in town. They could bearely stand up before they were fighting so after the first punch (with the power equivalent to a small child) they both ended up on the floor. Then it was a race to get up.

The aggressor was the first to reach his feet. He stood over his opponent and stuck the boot in with the power and grace of a baby deer, stumbling about 10 yards away from his incapacitated foe. He turned around and went for a repeat attack when his girlfriend stepped in to stop the fight. With his inhibitions reduced, he flung (I say flung, I mean flailed his arm in the general direction of her and managed to push her away slightly) the would be heroine out of the way in order to finish the battle once and for all.

Unfortunately for him though, his adversary had used this distraction as an opportunity to mount a counter offensive. With renewed vigour (he had managed to stand up) he set about his foe. He planned out his actions in his head. 'left, right, throw-down, kick, kick'. Alas his alcohol consumption had done more than just make the girl at the end of the bar slightly acceptable. Somewhere between his brain and his limbs the signal must have been scrambled, because what happened next can best be described as hilarious and confusing. both fighters seemed to have a slightly different opinion as to the location of the other and as a result of this, neither punch thrown landed anywhere near their intended targets. One hit a shoulder and the other hit nothing. The fighter's momentum and lack of balance resulted in a little thing I like to call 'falling over' (a difficult concept to grasp, I know).

The female (obviously an acquaintance with both men) then took it upon herself to ensure that neither man would restart the fight. She accomplished this by jumping on top of the both of them and lying there.

So you now have 2 men and a woman, all drunk, lying in the middle of the street. None of them can move and there's nobody in the immediate vicinity who can be bothered helping/doing anything else other than watching and laughing. That was the last thing I saw as I got into a taxi. I lol'd and then drove off into the distance on my way to the faraway land I call home.

the moral of the story; drunk people fighting are funny to watch. Also, it's ineffective to attack your opponents shoulder.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Saw 2 drunk guys fighting on my way home from watching the match in town. They could bearely stand up before they were fighting so after the first punch (with the power equivalent to a small child) they both ended up on the floor. Then it was a race to get up.

The aggressor was the first to reach his feet. He stood over his opponent and stuck the boot in with the power and grace of a baby deer, stumbling about 10 yards away from his incapacitated foe. He turned around and went for a repeat attack when his girlfriend stepped in to stop the fight. With his inhibitions reduced, he flung (I say flung, I mean flailed his arm in the general direction of her and managed to push her away slightly) the would be heroine out of the way in order to finish the battle once and for all.

Unfortunately for him though, his adversary had used this distraction as an opportunity to mount a counter offensive. With renewed vigour (he had managed to stand up) he set about his foe. He planned out his actions in his head. 'left, right, throw-down, kick, kick'. Alas his alcohol consumption had done more than just make the girl at the end of the bar slightly acceptable. Somewhere between his brain and his limbs the signal must have been scrambled, because what happened next can best be described as hilarious and confusing. both fighters seemed to have a slightly different opinion as to the location of the other and as a result of this, neither punch thrown landed anywhere near their intended targets. One hit a shoulder and the other hit nothing. The fighter's momentum and lack of balance resulted in a little thing I like to call 'falling over' (a difficult concept to grasp, I know).

The female (obviously an acquaintance with both men) then took it upon herself to ensure that neither man would restart the fight. She accomplished this by jumping on top of the both of them and lying there.

So you now have 2 men and a woman, all drunk, lying in the middle of the street. None of them can move and there's nobody in the immediate vicinity who can be bothered helping/doing anything else other than watching and laughing. That was the last thing I saw as I got into a taxi. I lol'd and then drove off into the distance on my way to the faraway land I call home.

the moral of the story; drunk people fighting are funny to watch. Also, it's ineffective to attack your opponents shoulder.

Why can't my life kick that much ass?
stoopid drunk people. they annoy the hell out of me and at the same timee give me epic lulz
I'm so hip your grandpa broke me.
Quote by humperdunk
Why can't my life kick that much ass?

there wasn't really that much ass kicked tbh.

it was mostly punched shoulders.

I think the closest he got was kicking him in the hip.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
there wasn't really that much ass kicked tbh.

it was mostly punched shoulders.

I think the closest he got was kicking him in the hip.

Yeah but they're out getting drunk with friends while I'm at home sitting in my room.
Okay, so I've got nothing better to do than to come up with a few words that may be useful to some people, reading this thread.

First, it's all in your head wether you're a good fighter or not, it's alot about intimidation and controling your adrenaline. If your opponent sees that you're calm, he will probably get a bit scared just by that. It could be compared to a poker game, where you look at the opponents facial expressions to try to get a hint of what cards he might be holding. Hopefully, your opponent will be too scared to fight and you won without even touching him

Stuffs to avoid:

Don't get angry. I've seen so many people letting their anger fight for them, swinging their right (if they're right handed) arm against you, they also look where they are aiming, so it's really easy to read where they are trying to hit you, even if they switch from right arm and try to start kicking or whatever. So don't let your anger control you.

Don't underestimate your opponent... well, this may sound stupid since you've already went into a fight and you have to fight him anyways, but you should know first who you're fighting... try to analyze (is that the correct word?) the person first, look in his eyes? how calm is this guy? does he seem to have backup?

If you're in a school fight, you will have to be quick so try to hit where people can SEE he's been hit, even though it's hard. But try the nose and maybe he'll start bleeding from there, it sure will look serious, but you'll get into trouble with the teachers that's for sure, so it depends on how you want it

Don't try to use any kicks in a fight, unless you've been training matrial arts for years (I'd say, only use them if you are a kick boxer or something like that and compete in it), being a soccer player doesn't help you when you are gonna kick a human, kicking a human is a whole other thing, which I'm just too lazy to get into details for now.

Some tricks:
A trick a friend of mine used to do back in the days was to start pushing whoever he was in trouble with, the guy would then push back, then my friend kept pushing harder and harder and so did the other one and after about 3 pushes back and forth he took his opponent's hands and shoved them to the side so he could get his opponent out of balance, and also nothing to parry with... it always worked.

Try to make some cheap tricks, like acting like you're about to hit with your left (if you're right handed), but come with the right instead. Most people fall for this trick, but you've to be really calm if you wanna succeed. Practise with a friend or something, I dunno.

Another one is looking him in the eyes, act like you're gonna hit him or something and try to get in close and then come in with a knee. Do NOT look down in order to aim, because if you do, he will just parry your knee by pulling his legs together, making it impossible for your knee to hit him between the legs.

Oh... and depending on your strength: If you're stronger than him, you might increase your chance of "winning" if you start wresling (sp?) on the ground instead of just hitting/kicking.

EDIT: And ofcourse, as opposed to the "avoid list", you should ofcourse try and make your oponent angry, if you can find a way to tease him somehow, if you know a weak spot in his mind somehow... maybe something that got you into fight with this guy in the first place.
EDIT: I bet there's a whole lotta more some of you guys can add to this :P
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Apr 30, 2008,
Cheap tricks always. A roll of quarters always works, or just pull out a switch-blade and shank the guy a few times.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by Aaron0612
Cheap tricks always. A roll of quarters always works, or just pull out a switch-blade and shank the guy a few times.

I do not reccomend sharp weapons in a fight... that may end up murdering someone, and that's not something you wanna do. One of them telescopic batons though, is the ultimate self defence weapon to carry around.
1: It's small, so it fits your jacket pocket
2: You won't risk murdering someone unless you hit him really really hard in the head, but all you have to do is hitting him on the legs, arms or something... just make sure to avoid the head.
3: It still beats a knife thanks because of its range, even though those batons can vary in range... no one wants to come near you once you've drawn it, unless they're a large group, but then you're screwed anyways, and fighting isn't even an option so it's kinda useless to bring up such an example here.
The only downside with it is that it's quite useless if the guy is wearing a pretty thick jacket. A telescopic baton is not very heavy so if you're wearing a jacket you won't feel it.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to warn you guy about carrying weapons: Make sure you don't tell anyone that you have a weapon, even your friends. You don't wanna get a reputation started that you are walking around with a weapon, beacuse there are people out there who will feel provoked if they know you're "armed", and they might gather up and then beat you up. And then you will regret buying that weapon in the first place.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
i agree with hultan on the idea of it all being in your head whether your a good fight or not.

this is because if your trully pissed off enough, your adrenalane rush is going to be a lot more than the other dude in the fight.
To the knife talking: If you ask me, knfes are stupid to walk around with unless you wanna kill someone.
If you're gonna try and defend yourself with a knife, you're gonna end up killing the guy. You don't know how stressed up you will be in that situation where you have to use it for the first time, accidents happens so easily, especially when the adrenaline is pumping at max.
I can't say it too many times.

Quote by KetchupLad14
No what's a good idea?

Not getting into fights.

Ofcourse! It's not that hard to stay out of trouble, and if you get into trouble and just wanna get out alive, then run or talk your way out of the situation.
Unless there are a few guys robbing you, but then they'll probably carry weapons and surround you so nothing matters.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
To the knife talking: If you ask me, knfes are stupid to walk around with unless you wanna kill someone.
If you're gonna try and defend yourself with a knife, you're gonna end up killing the guy. You don't know how stressed up you will be in that situation where you have to use it for the first time, accidents happens so easily, especially when the adrenaline is pumping at max.
I can't say it too many times.

agreed. Try to stay away from knives and other deadly weapons, unless absolutely necessary. they will only get you in trouble.
Oh, and if you get irritated on someone if you're in a huge, and tight crowd, don't start a fight. The one you're about to start a fight with might have couple of his friends there, and you have no idea of where they might be.
This actually happened to me last year when me and a friend of mine from the kick boxing (I don't kick box anymore though), was at the reggaefestival in town, there was this guy who forced his way past us and we were like "What the **** is up with this nigga?" so my friend told him to get the **** off, and then suddenly *I* had another guy knocking on my shoulder, telling ME to **** off. (I was the only white guy there )
So yeah... avoid getting in trouble in a crowd, it's very easy for someone to stick a knife in you and then just get out of there and no one will have any idea of who it was.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
First rule of fight thread: Don't talk about fight thread.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
If you want to learn how to fight better, take up a(ny) martial art involving a fairly intense level of physical contact.

Even then, everything I read and am told simply reinforces the notion that no amount of martial arts training can substitute for the practical experience of actually being in a lot of fights. Again, action owns theory here.

You're not going to learn how to fight by reading half a page of text on UG - it's probably better than useless, but I doubt it'll make you lose that many less teeth.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Damascus
If you want to learn how to fight better, take up a(ny) martial art involving a fairly intense level of physical contact.

Even then, everything I read and am told simply reinforces the notion that no amount of martial arts training can substitute for the practical experience of actually being in a lot of fights. Again, action owns theory here.

You're not going to learn how to fight by reading half a page of text on UG - it's probably better than useless, but I doubt it'll make you lose that many less teeth.

Yeah, I see what you mean by not learning to fight by reading some text on a forum. BUT, you will get a better view of how fighting actually works out there, and you might have use of some of the information (I hope).

I see too many "fight" related threads on this forum where people come in talking rubbish stuffs leading to nowhere.... stuffs like if a big, fat guy meets a small, skinny guy, they will have the following pros and cons:
Big guy: He will be able to take more hits, and he will hit harder, but won't be able to dodge punches/kicks and he will hit slow
Small guy: He will be able to hit faster, and dodge more hits, but not hit as hard and not be able to take so many hits.
Rubbish like that! I mean come on, this is not a boxing fight god damnit!

Some matrial arts could help a little if you've been training it for many many years. Practising boxing-sports are always good though, stuffs like those things whatever they are alled when they are inside a net and they can do whatever they want to eachother must be the ultimate... those people must be the most dangerous fighters on this planet.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan

Some tricks:

This are some good and basic tips. Don't throw a kick unless you know how to. It will hurt like no other, and could ruin the rest of the fight. I'm a kickboxer, and that **** hurts unless you condition your legs. If your going to throw knees keep your feet pointed down. If you hit their knee cap with your foot you will break your foot. Also please keep your guard up. Never let your face be unprotected. Also guard your ribs, its so easy to break ribs. Don't overly swing into your punches because that gives them away. Also BREATHE. If you breath right you will stay energized, and the other guy will get tired. breathe through your teeth though, do not open your mouth. Your jaw is not stable, and even a medium power punch can knock it out of place.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
I don't think Ultimate Guitar should be encouraging fighting. Almost all fights can be avoided, and they should be. Fighting people is not cool, and can result in serious and permanant injury. Also, you can get in trouble with the law.

A rule to follow when it comes to fights is don't fight. If you fight someone, how do you know they don't have a knife or a gun? It doesn't matter how good you are, you don't want to fight someone who has a weapon (or brings their friends to help them).

Fighting is not good and there are not many good reasons to fight. Your reputation, your girlfriend (or boyfriend), what someone said behind your back (the list goes on)... these are not reasons to fight!
Quote by kilbie
I don't think Ultimate Guitar should be encouraging fighting. Almost all fights can be avoided, and they should be. Fighting people is not cool, and can result in serious and permanant injury. Also, you can get in trouble with the law.

A rule to follow when it comes to fights is don't fight. If you fight someone, how do you know they don't have a knife or a gun? It doesn't matter how good you are, you don't want to fight someone who has a weapon (or brings their friends to help them).

Fighting is not good and there are not many good reasons to fight. Your reputation, your girlfriend (or boyfriend), what someone said behind your back (the list goes on)... these are not reasons to fight!

+1

This thread blows.
Quote by kilbie

I don't encourage fighting either, and i'm a amateur boxer. I do it for sport not to beat the **** out of random people that piss me off. In fact i've never been into a fight outside of the ring. Boxing is just a great sport, and can come in handing protecting yourself. I think most people who try to pick fights are wannabe tough guys, and usually get beat up.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
All I can really say is watching a fight and being in a fight are two different things and your first real fight won't be anything like you ever expected a fight to be.

But like someone said, it's all mental. Be confident and keep your head otherwise you will lose.
Quote by Vos
All I can really say is watching a fight and being in a fight are two different things and your first real fight won't be anything like you ever expected a fight to be.

But like someone said, it's all mental. Be confident and keep your head otherwise you will lose.

My strategy is foolproof.

I rip my pants off, run at them hands raised in the air, and scream at the top of my lungs . Seriously, once you establish fear in them (which this is 100% guaranteed to do) than you've won the battle!
^Just watch and learn.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan

Wait the green one's strategy or the spandex dude?
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic