Well, I've been quite happy with my Mesa F30. Played a gig with it, sounded fine, does great at practice, but I've noticed lately that my best tones have been mostly at home, oddly enough.

I was just playing with almost no volume, maybe at 1, and I had a great, tight thrash metal tone going. Earlier today when nobody was home, though, I had the volume at 4 or so. More power tube saturation = better tone, right? Wrong- o. It sounded really harsh, metallic, and tinny, almost like my Gibson LP Studio was made of aluminum or something (exaggeration, but you get the point). It actually reminded me a lot of a Valveking Tried EQ- ing it again at the higher volume.. no go, still couldn't get rid of the harshness.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this, GG&A? Or do I just have a really odd ear?
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Apr 30, 2008,
What's the stock power tubes?
You may need a good old power tube swap.
I bet a 20 that they're sovteks (or rebranded ones for that matter).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I was just about to say, you might want to look into new tubes.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by darkarbiter7
What's the stock power tubes?
You may need a good old power tube swap.
I bet a 20 that they're sovteks (or rebranded ones for that matter).

Looks like they're rebranded Sovteks... will swapping them out make THAT much of a difference?
should, I'm pretty sure putting JJ's in there will make it darker, which sounds like that's what you want
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Looks like they're rebranded Sovteks... will swapping them out make THAT much of a difference?

I knew it!
When sovtek power tubes get overdriven, they get a very cardboardian tone. Thin and metallic.
I recommend JJ's for heavy stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I knew it!
When sovtek power tubes get overdriven, they get a very cardboardian tone. Thin and metallic.
I recommend JJ's for heavy stuff.

+1 even though i already suggested it
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Allrighty then, I'll look into a pair of JJ's. Am I correct in assuming that I can swap them out myself without much difficulty?

I'm kind of tight, budget- wise (Read: Will be stealing the money for these from my mom's wallet), so getting them swapped out and biased by a tech would further strain my limited funds.
Quote by danyellenik
+1 even though i already suggested it

Yeah, but I thought TS would appreciate a second opinion.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
DONT BE LOW!!!

NEVER STEAL FROM YOUR MOTHER

get a job, or ask to borrow money, and offer to do work for them.

but for f u c k s sake dont steal
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, but I thought TS would appreciate a second opinion.

Come on you guys, let's not get feisty.

Quote by xdeathxcorex
DONT BE LOW!!!

NEVER STEAL FROM YOUR MOTHER

get a job, or ask to borrow money, and offer to do work for them.

but for f u c k s sake dont steal

I'm getting a job this summer, I'm too young to get a job at most places right now (trust me, I've tried) and my parents only give me money for going out with my friends and the like.

Anyway, tone is far more important than morality.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

It's darkarbiter, i couldn't get feisty with him, he seems like a cool guy

I'm being a dick tonight on UG haha sorry everyone

Highschool...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

I'm getting a job this summer, I'm too young to work right now and my parents only give me money for going out with my friends and the like.

Oh, don't worry. Dan and I aren't fighting eachother. I just wanted to confirm that JJ's are indeed good power tubes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
haha alright man, why dont you pretend to go out, and just keep the money lol, that way your concience doesnt have to suffer like a mofo lol.

btw, im inspired by "tone is more important than morality" haha
Quote by xdeathxcorex
haha alright man, why dont you pretend to go out, and just keep the money lol, that way your concience doesnt have to suffer like a mofo lol.

btw, im inspired by "tone is more important than morality" haha

Conscience? What is this "conscience" you speak of?

Anyway, back to my question... can I more or less take my old tubes out and pop the JJ's in?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

I'm getting a job this summer, I'm too young to get a job at most places right now (trust me, I've tried) and my parents only give me money for going out with my friends and the like.

Bullsh!t bro.....

You owe everything you have ever taken for granted to your parents......

If you want to steal that sh!t, then leave the house and set up a cardboard box outside to sleep in and jam in....

On top of it, you can eat cockroaches... But then again, that would kinda be like cannibalism if you steal the money for those tubes... cus you'd be a roach yourself....

Stealing to eat is one thing.... Stealing for gear is pathetic... deal with it until you can earn it...

Earn your gear
Earn your tone
Earn your chops
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
you can't rebias your amp as is. mesa doesn't uh, they don't allow it. apparently their voltages are set hella low, which is saddening
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
you can't rebias your amp as is. mesa doesn't uh, they don't allow it. apparently their voltages are set hella low, which is saddening

But I can still pop the tubes out and put the new ones in myself, right?
Also remember when cranking your amp you have to redo all of your EQ settings. So you're sweet tone at low volumes wont sound the same with the same EQ at high volumes
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
But I can still pop the tubes out and put the new ones in myself, right?

yup yup. that's about all you can/have to do haha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
yup, the same people in my city that go around breaking into other peoples garages to steal gear (not in the pursuit of tone.. but usually in the pursuit of meth) are low life, drug addled, pussbags that should just be shot on site.

don't steal from your mother for a couple tubes. just think about how lame that sounds.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at May 1, 2008,
Funny enough, my first thought was 'Sovteks?' as well (kinda sad when you start thinking like that isn't it?). Try JJs in the power stage, and a 12AT7 in the phase inverter slot to soften things up and round them off a bit. Thjose two little tweaks worked wonders on my DC-5. If you can only scrpae up a little cash go for the AT7, you'll lose a little bit of gain overall but it'll really open up the amp and make it sound more natural.

Also, depending on the styles you play you might also want to swap out the speaker. Those C90 'Black Shadows' Mesa insist on using are very capable but totally lacking in character - jack of all trades, master of none I guess.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

ya know how lame that sounds?. They "only" give you money for going out with friends.

Don't steal from your mother, that's downright scumbaggery.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
turn down your presence knob? i used to think my amp sounded great with it dialed all the way up. now i don't go past 6 (out of 10 you knuckleheads). is sounds brittle and piercing. i imagine i'd have to turn it down even more if i turn up the amp volume.