he'd be best off with a starter package, either squier or peavy.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
There's really no "secret" when it comes to stuff at that price level. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any bass that's in a store that you can play in the ~$200 arena is as good as the next one, really.

As far as amps go, it's a crap shoot. Behringer being the crappiest. They make their coin tricking folks in your position.

But anyway, I'd recommend any brand-name starter pack that you like the look of.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Fitz is right about 99% of the basses in that price range. HOWEVER, if you can find a lower-end Ibanez Soundgear, especially if you get it used, well... that's a hell of a bass, considering there's one in my local shop that's $150 US.

Generally, Ibanez makes fantastic beginner stuff. Definitely put a Soundgear very high on your "find and try out" list.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Generally what you're going to find is Squier and Ibanez, with Peavey in a close 3rd...All will work well.

It's best to spend more on the bass than on the amp...you'll be upgrading the amp when you start playing in a band anyway. (if you want to be heard, that is)
Nope, no sig here.
yup i highly suggest ibanez in that price range. higher up they even out with the other brands andthen it's all preference but they're cheapest stuff seems better than other brands cheap stuff.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Mutant Corn
It's best to spend more on the bass than on the amp...you'll be upgrading the amp when you start playing in a band anyway. (if you want to be heard, that is)

eh, a **** bass will sound alright through a good amp, but a good bass will sound like **** through a **** amp. those dinky little 25w practice amps they give you are nowhere near the caliber you need to have any sort of decent tone....they distort at like volume 7......
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^ yes, but he won't need it for long. As soon as he gets better he'll want a bigger amp...we all do. It'd be different if he was spending more, but for a cheap rig it's better to get an amp that will work for practice until he gets better.

No use having to upgrade both of them...at least if he gets a decent bass to begin with he can focus on his rig.
Nope, no sig here.
I see what both of you are saying here, and I'm going to have to go along with Mutant Corn on this one. The main reason being that we're talking about a $300 budget.

No amp under $300 is going to be phenomenal, so like Mutant Corn says, if you focus on the amp you're going to have to replace both of them. Well... really you're going to have to replace both of them EVENTUALLY, but a decent budget bass is viable way longer than a "decent" budget amp.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
squier pack
or ibanez pack
or if he want an awesome bass go for VM squiers
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400