i noticed today that my power tubes are glowing a little blue....not completely blue, they're mostly glowing a bright orange but there's this one section of both power tubes that glows blue.

i also noticed that when the standby is on the blue isn't there and when the Standby is turned off the area of blue returns.

is this normal? are the tubes dying? they're only about a year old btw and if you need pics ill post them up in a bit (mind you they're not the best pics)

thanks for your help
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
you ever seen a lit candle? the bottom of the flame is blue because it is getting more oxygen, while the top is orange because of the less oxygen. If the flames blue it's normal, it's just it's burning hotter
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
you ever seen a lit candle? the bottom of the flame is blue because it is getting more oxygen, while the top is orange because of the less oxygen. If the flames blue it's normal, it's just it's burning hotter

that makes sense...but aren't tubes supposed to be "vaccumes"?, i'll still post the pics just to be safe.

i'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the functions of amps so thank you

without Standby:

with Standby:
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

it's completely normal. something about atoms being heated inside the tube. my amp had it for a while, but now the glow's gone... and i miss it

general rule is, if it sounds fine, there shouldn't be a problem.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
ok thanks for your input, i thought for a sec my tubes were dying and i would have to get them replaced again

Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
that makes sense...but aren't tubes supposed to be "vaccumes"?

haha i started writing about oxygen making the flame hotter, then i realized its a VACUUM tube, so that's why at the end of my post i just switched to the flame is burning hotter
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808