Hey, I'm looking for a cool new effect to buy for $250 or less. I have no effects besides a wah pedal right now (Morley Power Wah). What would be a cool effect that I could actually use? I've been looking at the visual sound h2o chorus pedal, the electroharmonix holy grail reverb, the dunlop 535q wah, the digitech whammy pedal, etc. Just anything that I could use a lot that would help me the most for my first effect. I'm using built in amp effects that suck right now.

Btw, I play old death metal/thrash metal like Death, Morbid Angel, Megadeth, Testament, Metallica, Obituary, etc.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
i have a whammy that i love to death-but its really a love it or hate it pedal

I think it sounds cool but I don't know how much I could actually use it. Don't want to overkill the high pitch noises lol.
Quote by brentonlatour
compression pedal

what exactly is the purpose of a compression pedal and what's a good one?
oh look into the pedal in my sig you might like it
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by kirkhammett09
what exactly is the purpose of a compression pedal and what's a good one?

it will make the volume of your guitar consistent and increase sustain. it will make distortion sound smooth and brutal. it will make clean clicky and bright (like reggae)

mxr's dynacomp is classic and easy
Are you using a good amp? Chances are if your amp has bad built in effects, running separate effects into it isn't going to solve anything.

edit: I'm probably phrasing that wrong...It sounds like you're using some kind of modeling amp and these are notoriously bad at taking effects. What exactly are you using?
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Last edited by rageandlove04 at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by rageandlove04
Are you using a good amp? Chances are if your amp has bad built in effects, running separate effects into it isn't going to solve anything.

edit: I'm probably phrasing that wrong...It sounds like you're using some kind of modeling amp and these are notoriously bad at taking effects. What exactly are you using?

nah, no modeling amp... i have a Randall RX120 (it's a solid state half stack)... some of the effects on it are okay but pedals would be much better
Delay for fattening up leads maybe? I would just try out all different kinds of effects to figure out what you would actually use. Death and thrash metal bands don't use a lot of effects do they?
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
+1 on compressor...going off of the fact that you are using amp effects, i'd be willing to bet you have a solid state, so an OD wont help alot. A chorus could be good for clean parts. If you buy right, you could buy both for 250. The Rocktron Big Crush is a great comp. Then you could get the H20
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Personally, I'd ditch the amp first. No point spending $250 when you don't even have anything you want to buy, to plug into an overblown practice amp. I'm not trying to be a 'tube snob' - solid state can work great for very technical metal styles - but I really don't see the point in buying a high quality effect like a VisualSound and then running it through a cheap plywood speaker cabinet!

Randall didn't even bother to change the RX promotional literature when it created the bigger models:
"The RX tone circuits are designed to achieve the modern Randall tone which delivers plenty of tight low’s as well as enough top end sizzle to satisfy any metal monster. The result is an overwhelming sound that will redefine the modern practice amp."

But back to pedals, for your style you'll get more mileage out of a delay than anything else. Try the venerable Boss DD-3, or the Behringer DD-5, depending on whether you gig enough to warrant the extra $60 for a metal box instead of plastic.