hey, so i have a budget of about $1200 right now and can push it to about $1700 if i really want to. i made a thread a few days ago about getting a new guitar, but after reading a little bit, i am now debating whether to get a nice new guitar or a nice new amp. my guitar now is an esp/ltd ec-400 (lp shape). i play a lot of metal and am able to do my fair amount of soloing, but because of the the lp shape, its can be difficult to get goin on the higher frets, so ive been looking at the ibanez sv5470 for a new guitar. the amp i have right now is a crate gt212, cost about $300, but it sounds pretty good. but ive also been looking at a fender deville tube amp. so i basically have an alright set up but nothing amazing. pretty much i need a new setup but can afford only one nice thing right now and the other in the next couple years. what do you guys think? new amp or new guitar?
amp before guitar, unless your guitar is a 2x4 attached to a clock
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Definitely a new amp. Disregard the first two posts, around GG&A that amp would be known as a POS. You could get a godlike amp for that coin.

What sort of stuff do you play? What are you looking for in your sound?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I know I'd get a new amp.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
if it sounds good to you, and you dont play shows (because that amp aparently sounds bad to most people), then go for a new guitar. if you play gigs then I would suggest a new amp for sure...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
fender deville, definitely. the tone is amazing, and you can pretty much play any style of music on it. i used to own one, until i traded for my twin reverb. great price for a great amp. wise choice man, wise choice.
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
i play mostly metal ( thrash, melodeath, you name it) but of course i play the occasional rock and such. the amps distortion sounds like sh*t, so i just run it clean with distortion pedals and whatnot. the only reason im stuck between the two is because my friend had a deville and is sounded amazing, and my guitar sounds good, but i have an old ibanez that i sometimes play, i have have grown on it because it just feels good to play, but it sounds like sh*t (it was the starter pack one). i used to love the feel of my esp/ltd but have grown more in the ibanez direction over the past year or so.
Man, I think all those guys are unhappy with their amps and are living through you with the idea of speanding up $1200 - $1700 on an amp?!?! Absolutely the guitar. Because as it seems, the only reason you posted was because you are unhappy with not being able to reach the upper frets on your GUITAR. Buying an amp will not solve this.
Quote by guitarslutxxx
i play mostly metal ( thrash, melodeath, you name it) but of course i play the occasional rock and such. the amps distortion sounds like sh*t, so i just run it clean with distortion pedals and whatnot. the only reason im stuck between the two is because my friend had a deville and is sounded amazing, and my guitar sounds good, but i have an old ibanez that i sometimes play, i have have grown on it because it just feels good to play, but it sounds like sh*t (it was the starter pack one). i used to love the feel of my esp/ltd but have grown more in the ibanez direction over the past year or so.

i played s**t squiers for years, but when i had the deville, everything came alive. i wouldn't worry about your guitar. enjoy your amazing amp until you can afford a nice guitar(i wouldn't recommend another ibanez).
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
You should get an Engl Screamer combo with that money.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
seems like with that kind of budget, you could get a pretty decent guitar and amp, especially if you looked into used gear
Amp all the way, but not the Deville - it'd be absolutely atrocious for what you want, it's not a metal amp in a million years.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433

you'll be set for life with that, don't even think about touching a solid state half stack. Go to a shop and try your guitar through a 6505...you won't have to think twice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im at the same place ae accept im only 14 so im not lloking 2 spend dat much money. i think im gona go for guitar myself but duno id go for guitar if the amp you have does the job
Both Split your budget and buy a new amp and guitar
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Well, the amplifier represents around 85% of your sound, so if you can get over the "soloing/difficult high fret access" thing, i'd go for a nice new amplifier.

Right now, i have a Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster and a Fender Frontman 15G Amp, and
i'm going to buy a new amplifier, because the guitar represents a very little percentage of my sound (especially because i use effects pedals).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112