I put up a thread in Riffs and Recordings...

Admittedly, now that I think about it, maybe it should have gone here.

Anyways, here's the link to the thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=849832

Need some input regarding the Lightsnake. Reason why I'm kinda pressing for information is because if it doesn't work the way I'm hoping it does, I don't want to run out of time on a possible return.

Anyone here had experience with the Lightsnake that can help me out?

Thanks for any help.

And Mods, if you think the thread itself would do better here, I don't suppose you could move it? Then just delete this one I suppose.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i could never get mine to work so i gave up. i chalked it up to Vista i think. what is the problem? no workie at all? does it light up green at least when you plug it in?

what computer and O/S do you have? not sure i would be able to take it beyond that.

i know, not very comforting.

;
I actually have mine working. Follow the link to my first thread, even have test recordings on my profile.

Running XP btw.

But my new question is, how can I do this differently? I'm doing this at the moment:

Guitar>pedal board>MicroCube (input)>MicroCube (Rec.Out)>Lightsnake>PC

Except I can't hear myself play unless I plug yet another amp into the Lightsnake. My tube amps (Epi Valve Standard and Peave VK100) don't have a "Rec.Out," but wondering if anyone knows if you can use the speaker outs>Lightsnake. Then I could use my MicroCube to monitor.

Not sure I want to try it without some input because I don't want to blow up anything...
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
ah - i see. i was going strait into PC. i'll check out your other thread. i didn't get the impression you could go from amp to PC. i'm not an electricity expert either but for some reason that just seems like a no no.

amp power into USB right?
Well, the reason why I even thought of the MicroCube was because of the Rec. Out feature. I hadn't thought of going...

Guitar>Pedalboard>Lightsnake (Microcube as monitor)>PC

Might give that a shot.

Edit: I should explain why I chose to use the pedal board and amp to go through the Lightsnake. I DID try the Lightsnake alone (Guitar>Lightsnake>PC) and it worked, BUT all I got was a clean tone, that's it. I wanted to be able to put effects through, but didn't want to spend a bundle on software based modeling programs. Thought what I did might be a good solution, but admittedly don't know if I'd break anything (so far everything still works).
Last edited by Hakael at Apr 30, 2008,
man, i don't know what to tell ya. at least you got it to work (didn't listen to clips - i trust you).

STUSBG10? right

there just seems to be something inheritently wrong with the concept. it is designed to go strait into PC from guitar. the volts or watts or whatever coming out of a guitar is not that much. the built in sound card is supposed run codec on those frequencies and turn it into something a PC can understand...via USB.

an amp amplifies sound and is cranking out a whole lot more juice than just a strait guitar so yes i fear you could blow something. maybe it would just be the cable and hopefully not the amp.

i hope i'm wrong...am i tracking with you on this or am i still missing something?

what would happen if you used the built in splitter to send signal also to pedal than amp? i guess you would lose the effects of pedal and amp on recording, which is what you were saying.

BTW i did check lightsnake.com, guitarworld, and a quick run on google but couldn't find anything specific to your need.

;
Thanks for trying. I did the same thing (with the searches).

I'm using the record out of the MicroCube, so I'm assuming that alone can't blow it (also have it on low volume). Now that you mention it though, I doubt I could use either of my tube amps then.

I'm gonna try it without the amp and just my pedal board to the Lightsnake and see if that works. Taking me a while because I have to rearrange a lot of stuff. LOL
ok

i guess let me know as i would be curious.

i'm glad it is going to take you some time before you try again because one more thing i would check would be the output voltage (or whatever) on your pedal board has (not digitech 250 right?). it is amplifying too no?

because again, i think you COULD end up with the same problem

i couldn't find it, and this i think is what you really need, is the acceptable max current the lightsnake can handle before that sound card says WTF?

;
I no longer have the RP250 (it up and died), which is why I've been looking for other things to be able to (cheaply) record with. This was brought to my attention just today, and for $40, I really couldn't pass up at least trying it.
Actually just did another test mp3 without an amp in the signal chain (I thought an amp of some sort was needed, but I guess not). This time I just used the MicroCube as a monitor.

New MP3 in profile.

Guitar>Pedal board>Lightsnake>PC (Audacity).

Pedal board consists of Dunlop 535Q, Jekyll & Hyde, Dano Cool Cat, Dano EQ, NS-2, and #1 Echo, but only Jekyll & Hyde, EQ, and NS-2 are active.

I was surprised, but the signal was much higher directly from the effects board. I had to cut down the level on the EQ a bit.

Think I have a viable solution now... only now I have to rearrange my room, as it's a spiderweb of guitar cables... LOL
kudos dude - that is great to know. sounded fine considering everything.

so lightsnake is in between pedal board and pc and you are using splitter for amp monitor style like you said?

very good to know...i'm sure you will post your findings on R&R board.

also - no effects used from audacity right? just rip and Save As?

PS - does my avatar look familiar?

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
kudos dude - that is great to know. sounded fine considering everything.

so lightsnake is in between pedal board and pc and you are using splitter for amp monitor style like you said?

very good to know...i'm sure you will post your findings on R&R board.

also - no effects used from audacity right? just rip and Save As?

PS - does my avatar look familiar?

;

Yup, the Lightsnake I have has a built in splitter so you can use an amp as a monitor. Otherwise just as you said.

I did make one last test for the night though, test 4 is the same as test 3 except lowered the level yet again on the EQ and used the compression effect within Audacity.

From Audacity, I saved it as an mp3, then uploaded here.

Your avatar? looks like a sound wave thing (don't know the name), other than that, I dunno. LOL

BTW, thanks for all the replies and support. Really appreciate it.
yep - sounds good. i'm glad i was wrong about the pedal board power thought!

i'm sure you have plenty to do now - ha

my avatar is actually a cell phone camera shot of an audacity clip from laptop turned right side up ...i thought it looked cool.

congrats again dude!

;