to make a long story short, i snagged an epiphone les paul studio for a good discount. and as i kind of expected, the tone is pretty lame to me. i bought this thing with the intention of playing more classic sounding tones ranging from old stuff like sabbath up to modern stuff like opeth. the body is mahogany with a set neck, so it should sound pretty sweet with the right pickups. as of right now, i have a duncan distortion laying around un-used. i'm wondering, should i just return this guitar completely, or do you think the duncan will redeem its tone??
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Well the pickup might help but what would probably help a lot more is a good amp to put it through; what are you using right now?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
buy yourself the gibson 496R 500T setup, you will not be disappointed

duncans are also nice but i do not have too much experience with them because the only guitars ive ever had have either had stock pickups, emgs, or a gibson to different gibson pickup upgrade
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
i have a randall rg 75watt.. the amp is good for most of the stuff i play, but i usually play through a V-amp2 (headphones or into the effects loop of the amp) because of volume considerations
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Well that's a reasonably good amp; go for it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Why not? You won't lose any money by putting the pickup in. If it doesn't give the difference you want just put the old pickup back.