I was watching myself play recently, and i found that i pick very strangely compared to most other people. I looked up this economy picking thing and i realized i was doing this!!!! Ive never even heard about it before now! Is this normal, or am i just weird??? Has anything like this ever happened to any of you?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Nothing wrong with it at all. Economy picking is an enormously useful skill to have, but I would strongly recommend working on alternate picking as well.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Ok, I just went and read about this, but it still makes no sense to me, someone care to explain?
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by NorfIrIon
Ok, I just went and read about this, but it still makes no sense to me, someone care to explain?

Essentially, it's alternate picking except when changing strings, in which case you will pick in the same direction for the first note on the new string and the last note on the previous string.
To be able to economy pick, you must be able to alternate pick. When you're on one string you're alternate picking, so if you can't do that...
Oh, i can alternate pick fine. Its just i noticed whenever i switched strings i did something weird, so i found out i was economy picking. I thought it was pretty cool.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

^^ Yeah, that's how I've picked since I started, only realized there was a different way to do it maybe a year ago. I've tried switching to alt picking but it is incredibly hard to do now that I'm so comfortable economy picking. It's like trying to write with your left hand if you're a righty. :P
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm