Ok.
I got a stock MIM strat.
An ESP Eclipse 2 with EMG's (81&60) but I may swap to Duncans (59 and JB).

I like to play it all. Cool smoothed out blues, rockin blues, rock, hard rock, metal and anything in between those.

I currently have a VOX Valvetronix AD15VT. I like the modeling and some of the built in effects. Its perfect size for practicing in my basement.

But its not a real tube.

I can get a Randall RG50TC. Its all tube 50watt. But Im not sure how well it will make a practice amp. Being 50watts and all, Im concerned about too much noise. I do a lot of practicing late at night, and the VOX is pretty good for that. Plus it supports headphones.

I can trade in my VOX, then pony up $250 and walk out with the Randall.

Considering all that I said above, what do you think I should do? Is the RG50TC a pretty versatile amp that can do buttery warm and crushing highs? Is it too much for a basement practice amp? How do I wrangle it for late night practice sessions?

$250 is tempting as hell though. Or am I just being greedy?
I have never tried the amp, but I think if you want a tube amp that would be loud enough for gigs then go for it. when you practice just lower the volume. but I think if you arent going to gig at all, then its too many watts..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I've played that amp for about 15 minutes, and I can say it sounds pretty good. The preamp gain is high on it, so you should be fine at lower levels. Though I hate to say it, you might want to check out the B-52 at-112 as well.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at May 1, 2008,
*bumpity*

Just looking for a few more opinions. This is the last day I can take this deal or not.

Im thinking maybe I'll get the Randall then just buy a used cube mini amp for night practice.

Amps are just so confusing to me....
I had the Randall RG50TC before I bought my laney. And it's good for practicing too. It's just it really gets a nice sound on a higher volume. But it's not THAT loud.

My laney is 50 watts, and it's probably double as loud. Therefore it's not that good for practicing late.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I say stick with the VOX. I have a VOX ad15vt and a 100 watt Randall RGDX and its muddy as hell. I use it mostly just for the 15 as an extension, for a nice bassy feel. But the VOX is perfect for practice, and It might not be all tube but has a beautiful BQclean and BQoverdrive preset that sound pretty close. If volume the issue here save up sell the ad15vt buy a ad50vt.
dont stick with ss vox, if you want vox go for the custom classic series....I would say buy the randall. I am sure it will be great.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
dont stick with ss vox, if you want vox go for the custom classic series....I would say buy the randall. I am sure it will be great.

The dude looking for a practice amp not to gig. Also he wants to sell for 250 where is the other 1000$! to buy the custom classic?
Quote by Chica
I say stick with the VOX. I have a VOX ad15vt and a 100 watt Randall RGDX and its muddy as hell. I use it mostly just for the 15 as an extension, for a nice bassy feel. But the VOX is perfect for practice, and It might not be all tube but has a beautiful BQclean and BQoverdrive preset that sound pretty close. If volume the issue here save up sell the ad15vt buy a ad50vt.

The DX series are solid state, and some of the worse ones at that. The RG50TC is an all tube, and it sounds awesome. It does metal very well, but idk how well it can do other genres. Just make sure you try it out before you buy. As for the volume issue, look into buying an attenuator.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Chica
The dude looking for a practice amp not to gig. Also he wants to sell for 250 where is the other 1000$! to buy the custom classic?

fist off get your facts straight, the custom classic includes the vox ac15cc1. that doesnt even cost 1250. and teh vox ac30cc2 (I think is what you were talking about) only costs around 1000 (if you look in store, or used as aposed to online...). and I said IF you are going to stick with vox then go with custom classic, I never said, "you have to go with custom classic." IF. and when I said that it would sound good I was reffering to the randall, I said go ahead and get the randall...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last edited by fifer at May 2, 2008,