I bought a Fender Super Champ because I was all caught up in the "gotta have a tube amp" state of mind, and to be quite honest, I'm disappointed. Maybe there's something wrong with my ears, but I get almost the same sound out of as I did my Roland Microcube (which I'm keeping because it rocks for going to friends' houses), only louder. Luckily, Guitar Center has their blessed 30 day money back guarantee. I'm heading up to Guitar Center this Saturday, and I want to buy myself a solid state amp with a healthy amount of features (like my Microcube). I spent 399 on the Super Champ, and I want to spend less than that this time around so, my price range is about 200-300. If I didn't know any better, I'd probably buy a Line 6 Spider, but you guys take such enormous craps all over it that I dare not touch it. I've seen these new "Raven" amps and I'm kind of intrigued. The Roland Cubes would probably be what I'm looking for, but seeing as I already have a microcube, they'd probably disappoint me, but correct me if I'm wrong here.

So yeah, basically, what's the best solid state amp for 200-300. I play mainly classic hard rock, but sometimes I like to let loose and play some metal.
Quote by Say Ocean
Just get a Peavey Classic 30 used and be done with it.

+1

or Randall or Blues Jr

Don't go down the Spider path. you made the right choice on path here recently you just need to take the next step. The SuperChamp is a Hybrid. you need ALL tube, meaning at least one power tube and one preamp tube.

trust me - see my sig from bottom up.

Teh Valvie is nice too for $400 new and you can also look for used tube amps in range.

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

or Randall or Blues Jr

Don't go down the Spider path. you made the right choice on path here recently you just need to take the next step. The SuperChamp is a Hybrid. you need ALL tube, meaning at least one power tube and one preamp tube.

trust me - see my sig from bottom up.

Teh Valvie is nice too for $400 new and you can also look for used tube amps in range.

;

What is "Teh Valvie"?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Marshall VS100 or a Randall

VS100? Cant find anything by that name.

And are these Randall amps really that good? They dont seem that special to me just by looking at them.

And that valveking 112 seems almost too good to be true. 50 watts all tube at THAT price? There's GOT to be some catch...
Quote by FRDesign
Super champs aren't tube, they are hybrids, they have solid state pre amps

Yeah, I knew that, but I would have imagined them being A LITTLE bit different sounding than my Microcube... But it really isnt that much.

Does the amp being all tube really make that much of a difference?
Quote by Sample246
Does the amp being all tube really make that much of a difference?

Ridiculously so...
Quote by T!AN
Ridiculously so...

Perhaps I shall test a few few all-tubers this weekend at GC...

Perhaps I'm missing out and dont even know it...
like i always say if your going to GC go first thing in the morning in the middle of the week and take the gear you normally play with. get several amps out and try them all with intention of staying a few hours and leaving with nothing. And if you tell someone up front what you are wanting to do you will get more respect than just walking up to various amps and going crazy...imo...good luck

Valvie's (sorry Peaveys in this range), blackheart, blues jr, randall, crate, and epi in ALL tube configurations. don't get mixed up in spiders, valvetronix, transtube or whatever other hybrids cross your path.

;.....and i wouldn't try to trade your superchamp there either, even if you bought it there...unless you are within 21-30 days. sell it somewhere else.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 1, 2008,