I have an old ESP EX-100 that's pretty beat up but still plays well. It has major balance issues though considering the body is really light and the neck is not so much. I figured i'd rout part of the body out and add something to give it some weight. The question is what to add, and how to add it. Any suggestions?
Quote by wemonir
buy a poodle and tape it to your guitar

and pugs for the smaller weight adjustments
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Ya man, poodles are the only way to go.

EDIT:
Quote by spiderjerusalem
and pugs for the smaller weight adjustments

Pugs aren't xhardcorex enough.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Quote by samick007
add some lead weights

shutup...you're ruining this thread.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
thank you guys for your incredible helpfulness

what size poodle do you suppose i should use?
wtf are you talking about? Why would you use a poodle?

You should use lead weights. That was my idea. I came up with it myself.

You're welcome.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Get a poodle about 40 cm long and tape it vertically to your guitar.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
well any rout will affect the sound.....
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
nah, this fool needs his head seeing to. go to your local power plant and ask for their used plutonium or, if you can get it, add a little slice of uranium. You'll glow on stage, i promise, and so will your poodle.
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo
Quote by kyle62
Liquid mercury sounds like a safe bet.

Solid mercury > liquid mercury.
but you'll also have to make some sort of cooling device to keep the mercury solid... but just add this on the end where you need weight and you'll be good to go
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
get a chunk of brass/metal and put it in a routed cavity or ur control cavity if it has enough room.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
rather than doing all that to add weight to the guitar, have you given any thought to moving the strap lock/button on your left side (assuming you're righty)? You could test out different positions by just duct-taping the strap to different spots, obviously you'll need to be more carefull since it's not that secure with the tape, but I'd try that first over routing and adding materials.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
ya could try getting a forsner bit and drilling a cavity then adding a weight in then pouring plaster in then sealing it with a peice of hardwood. i am guessing ur a metallica fan with an ex 100 so rock on dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rather than doing all that to add weight to the guitar, have you given any thought to moving the strap lock/button on your left side (assuming you're righty)? You could test out different positions by just duct-taping the strap to different spots, obviously you'll need to be more carefull since it's not that secure with the tape, but I'd try that first over routing and adding materials.

sounds like a good idea alter the centre of poodle... i mean gravity
Shut up and play your guitar!
An even easier solution is to just use a leather guitar strap...

As the underside of the strap has grip against your top, the guitar won't slip
you could try warning everyone who said anything about using a poodle...
oh, wait, i already did that.

there is this thing called a fat finger which is supposed to clip on to the headstock to make that end heavier. however, it could work if you clipped it to the other end to add some weight. or you could get some lead tape (i think they make that) and line your cavities with it. should add some weight.
^and u wont have to route!!
and moving the strap button also helps ALOT. trust me, SGs are neck havey and i own 2!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by jof1029
you could try warning everyone who said anything about using a poodle...
oh, wait, i already did that.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

Quote by jof1029
there is this thing called a fat finger which is supposed to clip on to the headstock to make that end heavier. however, it could work if you clipped it to the other end to add some weight. or you could get some lead tape (i think they make that) and line your cavities with it. should add some weight.
Good ideas in mild cases, but this one might be too severe.

This is an EX-50, the EX-100 has the same shape.
This should help in understanding the problem.

You might be able to get a minor improvement by relocating the strap button to one of the neck bolts. tbh, I don't know how your neck is attached. But if it looks similar to the pic below, you'd use the one in the upper right. Take all the tension off the strings when you remove the screw, and you might need to get one a bit longer to replace it.

If that isn't enough, routing a cavity in the rear of your guitar near the tail and putting a chunk of lead inside might be necessary. But try the idea of lead tape, maybe the kind they use to balance automotive wheels, first. It's less invasive.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Chop off the neck, easy.
But changing where your strap-button goes changes the weight problem sometimes, try that.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Last edited by WH15P3R at May 1, 2008,
I've tried moving the strap button to a couple different locations, and it's not having the effect I need. I don't think lead tape is gonna provide the weight I need either, so I'm debating routing out the top left of the guitar (if you're looking at the picture a couple posts before mine) and adding some lead. I'm thinking i'll use some fishing sinkers unless someone knows where I can buy just a chunk of lead. I figured that would make it easy to make adjustments and figure out exactly how much i need.

How should I affix the weights to the guitar though? I was considering just setting them in wood filler but I'm afraid that they'll work loose just a little bit and start to rattle around in there. How tightly do you guys think wood filler would hold them. Then I was thinking of maybe glueing some felt around the outside of the weights before putting them in the filler, any ideas?
You could move the strap button on the left (picture view) up near the top of the wing, try duct taping it in higher places on that wing and see what that's like.
Quote by chea_man
if you add weight to your guitar does it add sustain?

a bit.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Get one of those Acoustic guitar straps that attach to the head, or move your strap button to the backside of the neck, somewhere around the 15th or 16th fret might work.
My Idea:

If you get a peice of iron or lead Bar, which you should be able to get from any ironmongers etc. Get some quite thick stuff, and cut it into appropriate legths, then duct tape it to your guitar, and keep adding more till you get the right weight by trial and error. Then You won't have to route, all you need is the right sized drill bit, and carefully drill holes to the correct depth in the side of the guitar, and glue the bars in the holes. You could cover the tops of them with something for asthesics.