so i was just starting to learn dont fear the reaper and i realized that i dont know how to get that particular wailing tone that they use during solos. its not a particular sound thats very unique only to them but its a tone id really like to have if its possible, but i dont know what effect would achieve that. any help?

it doesnt sound like distortion to me but more like a delay pedal, but i could be wrong. anyway, any input is greatly appreciated.

right now i have an american strat with a fender deluxe tube amp.
i dunno what song you're talking about, but is the "effect" during the whole solo? or just in parts of it?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i dunno what song you're talking about, but is the "effect" during the whole solo? or just in parts of it?

pretty much during the whole solo. ummm...lemme see what other song do i think has that kinda tone...

oh i guess the intro solo to train kept a rollin by aerosmith? (hope thats the right title of the song). i cant think of songs that have it but it just seems like a staple tone to have that might only be available on a telecaster but im not positive.

oh! i think coldplay sorta has it, and i think thats why i assumed u have to have a delay pedal because they use a lot of delay in their material.
He means that shredder tone that they use for shredding... Like Malmsteen or MAB
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
It's just a typical saturated, overdriven guitar tone, possibly with a bit of delay for emphasis (though the mix sounds pretty dry to me). Combine that with good technique and great production, and that's where the tone comes from.

If you can find a youtube video with the sort of tone you're after, you might get some better answers.
Your typical 'soaring' guitar solo tone comes from a delay pedal set at a short or medium length.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Your typical 'soaring' guitar solo tone comes from a delay pedal set at a short or medium length.

alrite that confrims what i thot.
thanks kyle62 as well!

i wasnt sure if it was overdriven cuz its very subtle. but thats all i need to know then. thanks everyone
I think you might be referencing the big reverb on both of those solos.

Echo/delay is when you hear the note repeating, like in yelling in a canyon...
Hello! (hello ..... hello..... hello...)

Reverb is a big ambient sound like listening to someone play in a big empty church. The note isn't echoing or repeating, but it's not the "dead" sound you'd hear playing in a bedroom.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
you're wanting a crunchy overdrive sound. bridge humbucker preferably. vintage british voiced tube amp will do you wonders. that's the MAIN part of their tone. add slight reverb and delay and you've got a good lead tone right there.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
tight bassy gain, abit of delay and reverb, a nice bend, your guitar face and your all set
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Quote by dgonz
I think you might be referencing the big reverb on both of those solos.

Echo/delay is when you hear the note repeating, like in yelling in a canyon...
Hello! (hello ..... hello..... hello...)

Reverb is a big ambient sound like listening to someone play in a big empty church. The note isn't echoing or repeating, but it's not the "dead" sound you'd hear playing in a bedroom.

reverb makes it sound 'distant', while delay makes it sound 'soaring'

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure