K, I'm completely new to guitars, my knowledge doesn't go far beyond what Guitar Hero teaches you. This video scared the hell out of me.

I'm up between the Ibannez S520EX and this Epiphone.

As far as I can tell they're both great for the money, but I can't decide which is better, or at least better for me. They both look great and the price is right.

If you have a different guitar in mind that is sold on that site let me know and I'll take a look.

Thanks.
What's your budget? Normally I'd agree with choice for the Ibanez, but I don't think any beginner should have to deal with a floating trem. That Epiphone is the best you can get for the money. Also what amp are planning on buying?
Depends, first, what style of music are you into? Becuase if your into metal like me and want to shred em' up when you get really good, I would say more for the Ibannez, i would think that the Epiphone is more of rock/classic rock stuff. Also, if you ARE going for the 'Shred Em' Up' style, I would DEFINITLY recomened the "KH-202", its a sig guitar from Kirk Hammet of Metallica, It is about 10x better then that Ibannez that you are looking at, for the same price.
Quote by T!AN
What's your budget? Normally I'd agree with choice for the Ibanez, but I don't think any beginner should have to deal with a floating trem. That Epiphone is the best you can get for the money. Also what amp are planning on buying?

Actualy thats a good point, first guitar I guess eh? Shouldnt have to deal with the floyd rose.
Quote by Magnificoamar
Depends, first, what style of music are you into? Becuase if your into metal like me and want to shred em' up when you get really good, I would say more for the Ibannez, i would think that the Epiphone is more of rock/classic rock stuff. Also, if you ARE going for the 'Shred Em' Up' style, I would DEFINITLY recomened the "KH-202", its a sig guitar from Kirk Hammet of Metallica, It is about 10x better then that Ibannez that you are looking at, for the same price.

You're serious? The S520EX blows that overpriced piece of signature shit out of the water. The KH-202 is the guitar that Hammet smashes on stage, he goes through those like most guitar players go through strings.

Anyway, I'd really recommend a guitar with a hardtail bridge. Ibanez makes some that are both metal oriented (RG fixed), and more vintage (SZ series). You might also look at Schecters, and if you want a really good LP copy, look at Agiles -->www.rondomusic.com
Quote by which ones pink
You're serious? The S520EX blows that overpriced piece of signature shit out of the water.

I was going to say something about that, but I'm glad I didn't because that made me literally lol.

I guess I'm just repeating myself, but TS if you give us a budget and some sort of idea of what type of music you want to play, we can suggest some hard tail guitars for you.
Heh, havn't given much thought to the amp yet, I'll decide on that after the guitar I guess.

What I'm going to be playing.. That's going to be a broad selection I think. I consider the fast paced "shred em up" type playing a bit advanced and I wont be playing anything like that any time soon I think. I want something that will give me a sound with some balls and yet be able to play on the bright side too. The first couple of songs I want to learn (partly cause they seem a bit easier) Street Spirit - Radiohead, the first half of One - Metalica. I think what I'm going for is "melodic yet gloomy". That's the best I can really do at the moment for you guys.

Floating trem? Lost me, lol. (I'l Google it, no worries)

Very greatful for the help guys.

*edit* - Just thought of another one. Have any of you guys watched Pink Floyds "Pulse"? The Comfortably Numb solo that he does in that concert has got to be the most amazing things I've ever heard. Playing that is one of the things I hope to achieve before I die.

HAA, here I found it. (last five minutes I think it is)
Last edited by VvLOGiKvV at May 1, 2008,
Quote by VvLOGiKvV

Very greatful for the help guys.

*edit* - Just thought of another one. Have any of you guys watched Pink Floyds "Pulse"? The Comfortably Numb solo that he does in that concert has got to be the most amazing things I've ever heard. Playing that is one of the things I hope to achieve before I die.

HAA, here I found it. (last five minutes I think it is)

That solo is what got me into guitars and that video into Pink Floyd and David Gilmour when it first came out back in the 90's (damn I'm old). I wanted a Strat the first time I watched Pulse, absolutely amazing concert. Also check out David Gilmour Live at Royal Albert Hall DVD. That concert is perfection.

Anyways why not get a Strat? Maybe a Fender Standard Strat made in Mexico, good quality for about $400. Will get you that clean Gilmour tone and its nice and versatile. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037
Get the black or red with maple fingerboard and play some Pink Floyd

I've seen that Floyd Rose tutorial video and I think he does it too complicated and wrong, he lets the bridge fall all the way down into the routed cavity when he releases tension on the strings and the way he places the battery and spoon can really damage the finish on your guitar. This video I find much simpler and a much better technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4

Personally I wouldn't get a guitar with any type of double locking system aka Floyd Rose on it unless you have some experience already. You wanna be able to play your first electric not be ripping your hair out trying to set it up and change strings for 5 hours
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Ibanez RG321 and a Roland Microcube works for me here.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well just so you know your amp plays a much larger part in your overall sound than the guitar, so it should actually take priority over the guitar. These numbers are subjective, but I rate it as 60% amp + 30% guitar (wood pickups) + 10% Hands = your tone, with hands becoming more and more important as you get better ( for example Joe Satriani sounds like Joe Satriani even on the crappiest of guitars and practice amps).

Because of two of the bands you listed use single coils, I think a HSS (Humbucker, Single, Single) Fender strat may be a good fit for you.

As for the whole floating trem/bridge thing, all you really need to know is that it lets you mess with the pitch of notes by moving the bar connected to it. You'll get when you play one, it's hard to explain in words...

If you give us an exact amount of money that you're thinking of spending, we can give you some more (helpful) examples...

Hope that helps a little.

edit: two post before mine as I typed this. At least someone else agrees about the strat.
Really? The stratocaster? It really does look like a good starter guitar but I don't like it. It just looks like a made in China thing that I could find on eBay for $150. I'm not bashing it in any way, I just don't like it.

Thanks, I didn't realize the amp played such a big role in overall sound. I was hoping I could go on the cheap side with that! Guess not.

Budget, I dunno, $400-$700 I guess. I would go as high as $800 if I absolutely loved it, but it's hard for me to justify that much on my first guitar. It's goin on the credit card anyway, so I don't care too much. lol

Man this is hard, so many options, so few perfect fits.

DSOTM80, gonna check out that Gilmour DVD.

steven seagull, I'll take a look.

Thanks guys.
OK, ok. Upon further observation the Fender is looking more appealing to me. The Midnight Wine, with rosewood fretboard looks nice!

I think the Epi is out. In the reviews there are a lot of people complaining about scratches and dings and buzzing and other stuff. Looks really nice but I dunno.

The Ibanez I still like but I think it'll give me a sound that's just a bit too heavy. I don't really know.
Have a look at the Ibanez SA260 as well, it's got the same overall vibe as a Strat but with more flexibility. It's useful to have both singlecoils and humbuckers on your first guitar, gives you a little more to play with. I think it's a perfect first guitar, along with the Yamaha Pacifica 112. Look into both if you can.
Quote by steven seagull
Ibanez RG321 and a Roland Microcube works for me here.

+1 here
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
Thanks Kyle, looks like my style, and a good beginner.

I think I made my chioce. I was up between the Epi and the Fender. The Fender is a very well rounded guitar at a great price, and a good match for what I want, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

The Epi I feel like I'm rolling the dice with it but I just can't resist. It just looks like "the one", know what I mean?

So what I did was let my four year old pick,.. he likes the "silver one".

You guys have all been a huge help, thanks very much. Does the forum have a rep system?

Thanks again!