i noticed recently that when playing chordwork with cleans there are sometimes a few distortion artifacts. This is pretty heavy playing but still, it should be clean. my amp is an ac15 which should have decent clean headroom so why is this happening?

could it be because my distortion pedal has "high integrity bypass" not true bypass? is my amp damaged? are my tubes wearing away?
Well if you're playing at a decent volume it's the tubes breaking up and starting to overdrive. It's nothing to worry about but the only thing you can do is turn the volume down.
it is at a decent volume but i theres barely any gain on it. it doesnt really matter cause i barely use cleans. just hope my amp isnt damaged in any way.
Well there you go. When you turn tube amps up they overdrive, duh. Just turn the volume on the amp down and turn the volume on your guitar up.
Quote by no_thing101
my amp is an ac15 which should have decent clean headroom

Quite the opposite - I've found the AC15 to break up more readily than almost anything else in its power range, and most people who buy them, buy them for their natural overdrive.

As for 'distortion artefacts', I don't think a buffered bypass will cause anything like that. If you're not using a power supply, my guess is the battery's worn down.
The first logical step is to remove the pedal from the equation, see if you still get the same sound plugged straight into the amp.
maybe its normal for my amp. but for an amp of that size to have break up that easily isnt really what id expect. Oh well it doesnt really matter to me that much cause im a dirty guitarist anyways. although pretty much everything i end up writing has some kind of cleans somewhere unintentionally. gaahhh
Quote by no_thing101
maybe its normal for my amp. but for an amp of that size to have break up that easily isnt really what id expect. Oh well it doesnt really matter to me that much cause im a dirty guitarist anyways. although pretty much everything i end up writing has some kind of cleans somewhere unintentionally. gaahhh

what are your settings ? did the amp start breaking up at that volume level in former days ?
He probably has high output pickups causing the amp to break up early

Rolling down the volume knob on the guitar will fix that
yeah my ibanez rg is probably to blame but still.. that aint much headroom. not to worry, i doubt il need it anyways.
Ibanez pickups and a 15 watt amp are not going to give you a lot of clean headroom.
I've noticed on my guitar when I play on the clean channel, if I turn one of the knobs to zero (The knob right under the volume knob on a Stratocaster) and try to play a chord it sounds like I have it on the overdrive channel with a little gain.

Maybe if you try to turn all the knobs to 10. :P
il try to lower volume on my guitar pot for cleans. sounds fine. haha i played a damaged laney amp at school today and it sounded like an octave fuzz