Hey everyone, I recorded myself doing a cover of Hallelujah as performed by John Cale. It's just me and my guitar, I did it in one take and recorded it using Audacity. I didn't edit it except to remove long pauses before and after I played. I'd like to hear what you all think about it!

I want to know if people actually like my singing, or if my friends are just being nice to me. It is in my profile, so go have a listen and comment on it, either in there or in here. Or both, if you want to. Feel free to comment on my other cover, too!

Thanks everyone. Hopefully, I'll actually get a comment this time. =P
You fell flat quite a bit, but that is fixable with practice. Honestly... You have a VERY pleasant voice to listen to. Keep practicing man, you can end up with a pretty good voice.

Oh yeah... One more thing: You REALLY need to work on how to project when the intensity picks up. There are parts of that song that should REALLY stand out vocally, but you stayed pretty much the same throughout. I don't mean just audio level, but your voice should kind of change as the intensity picks up.
Thanks for your comments. =D

And as for that last part, I can project a lot more than what's in that recording, I was just afraid to go too loud because the audio clips VERY easily. If you could give me some kind of tip to remove the clipping, I could give a much better vocal. Actually, the softness may have been what made me off in the first place, because I'm normally a really loud singer. I even clipped when I went a little too loud near the end there.
It isn't just about projection though.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/2da683c4-0348-491f-b003-b5dfed68a000/hallelujah

Listen to how my voice changes as it gets more intense(it's just the first verse). That's kind of what I meant by not just audio level of your voice.

As far as getting rid of the clipping: Bring down your recording audio level in your windows audio panel. Also, sit a bit further from your mic, it should help some. Like that audio sample was recorded with my recording volume slide down below the first hash mark.
Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

I understand what you're saying about how it's not all about projection, but it's hard for me to work with my voice if I have to be as soft as I was in that recording, if you get my drift. But I will try it again, tweak the inputs, and post another recording.. Hopefully within the week. It's almost 1 am here. xP

As for my mic, I was singing into my laptop's keyboard and I was looking at the lyrics to the song at the same time. Hahaha, so I might be able to sit a bit further away, but not too far. I should really commit this song to memory so I can sit further away..

Thanks again for all your help, I'm retiring for the night.
I thought it was great man you have a good voice what are you using to record?
Quote by eXperiment63
It isn't just about projection though.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/2da683c4-0348-491f-b003-b5dfed68a000/hallelujah

Listen to how my voice changes as it gets more intense(it's just the first verse). That's kind of what I meant by not just audio level of your voice.

As far as getting rid of the clipping: Bring down your recording audio level in your windows audio panel. Also, sit a bit further from your mic, it should help some. Like that audio sample was recorded with my recording volume slide down below the first hash mark.

your voice DID get louder...=/ and i liked his better....
Did I say it didn't? It didn't only get louder, my voice changed as it got louder.

As far as who sings it better, this isn't a competition. I wasn't trying to steal his thunder or **** on his thread. I was giving him a demonstration of what I meant by not just getting louder.
Quote by Osiris77
I thought it was great man you have a good voice what are you using to record?

I played and sang into my laptop's microphone (I don't know where it is, so I say I "sing into the keyboard.") and I recorded it onto Audacity. The one I uploaded wasn't edited except to remove a few seconds of silence on the beginning and end of the recording.

Thanks for everyone's compliments!
C C/B Am X2
C C/B Am
I heard there was a secret chord
C C/B Am
that David played and it pleased the Lord
F G C G
But you don't really care for music do ya
C F G
It goes like this the fourth the fifth
Am F
the minor fall and the major lift
G Em Am
The baffled king composing hallelujah
F Am F C G C G
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

That's generally what I used. Ehh, the chord changes move when I post this..

I originally used the tab found here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/john_cale/hallelujah_crd.htm

But both E's found in that tab were totally off, so I changed the first to a G maj and the second to an E minor. It's easy to play, especially if you leave it vanilla like I did in my recording.