Will i be able to play at low volumes on a tube amp without it sounding bad?

Eg: the valveking 112 or 210 (?)
They sound fine to me and yes, awesome when you turn them up ^
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
With tubes, it isn't a difference between "Bad" and "Good", but "Great" and "Awesome".
hehe, i don't even like playing SS amps when they're quiet.. but imo, tubes sound ok when they're quiet..

its not like a night and day thing of horrifyingly ****ty tone to glorious bring the dead to life and then kill them again tone..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I always found them really fiddly to get a low volume for personal use though, especially when they get quite large, it's always either bloody loud or off.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
if you think you're going to play it low most of the time, then u're not getting the most out of your amp.

imo, most 15+ tube amps dont sound that great at lower volumes.

sometimes they benefit from an od pedal. sometimes an attenuator.

and sometimes it's better to buy a small tube amp for home use.

edit:
Quote by Epic_chef
Will i be able to play at low volumes on a tube amp without it sounding bad?

Eg: the valveking 112 or 210 (?)

i didnt specifically say, because you were talking about the VK, so i assumed you meant lower volume with med-higher gain.

if that's the case, then yeah, you'll need help to get that amp to sound as expected.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 1, 2008,
Low volume should sound very good if you have a 12" speaker, soem of the 8" ones in small amps don't get a lot of bass, otherwise they sound good too. Eric Johnson uses two Fender Twin Reverbs with the volume at 3 for his clean sound, that's above bedroom volume but should give you an idea what you can do with a tube amp at low volume. I play my Super Reverb at around 3 or so a lot, it sounds great. Usually I use my Fender Champ (1974 model, 6 watts) with a 12" external speaker, also all tube, it sounds excellent at bedroom volume, but very clean. The internal 8" speaker sounds good, but it still sounds like a small, cheesy practice amp, which is why I built the 1x12. Crank it to 10 and it sounds great...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quality tube amps can sound good at low volumes after a warm-up period. A tube condenses the signal energy flowing from the amps input to the output allowing it to build then release and rebuild again. This is what gives the tube amp an organic "throbbing" warm kind of tone. Unfortunately at low volumes it takes a while for the energy to build in the tube and it isn't replenished very quickly after the release. This means the throbbing organic tone is less noticeable. Since tube amps are designed for loud playing they are also usually paired with a large speaker(s). This speaker although quite capable of reproducing tones at high volumes might not be responsive enough for low volume playing. The qualities that make a tube amp great might not be apparent at low volumes. In fact, for playing at home, I prefer a good solid state with tremolo to provide the desired "throb". It is cheap, I get great clean tones at all volumes with no warm-up period, no burnouts, no interference, no maintenance, and I can plug in my headphones. My Epiphone made tube amp sits in the corner collecting dust.
i have had a JCM 800 and a Laney LC15r and played a TSL601 at bedroom volumes and all 3 are fizzy if you want gain... you cant get decent overdrive at bedroom volumes because you need to push the poweramp