Hey, i (probabaly stupidly) just bought a mexican strat online circa 1992-1993 off ebay...

my serial number is MN2 065XXX (last 3 X's are numbers)

but what I thought was strange was the space between the MN2 and the numbers....i dont think ive seen this on many other guitars, and my google searches have only found a rough link to someone saying it may be a chinese fake...

I wonder if anyone on this fourm has any more information for me about this?!

thanks a lot
Dom
Quote by domauron
Hey, i (probabaly stupidly) just bought a mexican strat online circa 1992-1993 off ebay...

my serial number is MN2 065XXX (last 3 X's are numbers)

but what I thought was strange was the space between the MN2 and the numbers....i dont think ive seen this on many other guitars, and my google searches have only found a rough link to someone saying it may be a chinese fake...

I wonder if anyone on this fourm has any more information for me about this?!

thanks a lot
Dom

Any way you can post pictures? Thats probably the best chance we have of spotting a fake
Diezel, Motherfucker
already tried that....doesnt see that good to me that site...you can just whack in MN2 then any 5 or 6 digit numbers and itl just tell u its made in mexico...

also u can whack in spaces wherever like

"M N26 75 3 4" or whatever and itl still tell you its made in mexico...so that doesnt really help, thanks tho
doesnt help i cant find a picture of a MIM strat C 92-93 to compare this to lol
on my 95' the S# are grouped together.

i dont think it'll be an inkjet number because, if you were faking an inkjet strat, and took the time to swap out for fender tuners, and bridge, wouldnt you take the second to print the numbers right next to each other?

go to fender.com

go to contact us, and ask them in an email. they will write back to you in a day.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i just checked fender's site under support tab then Product Dating. i think you are fine and the pics look good too. EDIT: except now that i look at your post you are saying you have 6 digits or 5 after the MN2...

SERIAL NUMBERS CIRCA
MN0+ 5 digits 1990-1991
MN1+ 5 digits 1991-1992
MN2+ 5 digits 1992-1993

;
yeah theres six digits after it.....however ive reada on another site that this might be ok as well?! though im not sure
there does seem to be something odd about that logo/serial# ink but maybe that was normal for 92-93.

to JJ's point it does seem like a lot of work just to make a fake, but there are plenty out there. maybe someone else can chime in.

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i just checked fender's site under support tab then Product Dating. i think you are fine and the pics look good too. EDIT: except now that i look at your post you are saying you have 6 digits or 5 after the MN2...

SERIAL NUMBERS CIRCA
MN0+ 5 digits 1990-1991
MN1+ 5 digits 1991-1992
MN2+ 5 digits 1992-1993

;

yeah dont worry about the digits, strats have 6 all the time.

oh yeah and just wondering TS, what did you pay for ur used mex strat?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Looks legit to me. Remember, no one is going to fake a MIM Strat because there is no profit to be made doing so.
mine has 6 digits after it in the form... "MN2 XXXXXX"... the space is what im concerned about as in all other model numbers ive seen the MN2 and the numbers have been grouped together

maybe its something with the 92-93 strats...duno...cant find a picture of one newhere to see
right. and i really don't want to make a big deal out of this 'cause i don't know enough about how they treated their serial numbers in 92-93. but, there web site states that for 92-93 MIM strats it was:

MZ2 + 5 digits

for a total of 6 if you count that the 2 that represents 1992. Maybe MZ2 + 6 digits is fine. just don't know.

can you post a better pic of headstock?

how does it play?

;
I think you're being a bit anal here, I really don't believe someone would make that good a fake of a Mex Strat. Congrats on your new guitar, but now in the words of Zappa...

....Shut up and play yer guitar!
Quote by kyle62
I think you're being a bit anal here, I really don't believe someone would make that good a fake of a Mex Strat. Congrats on your new guitar, but now in the words of Zappa...

....Shut up and play yer guitar!

Ditto. If that's a fake, that is the best looking fake I have ever seen.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
My MIM strat is sitting next to me and I took a look, out of curiosity. Serial number is MZ6075022, but the MZ6 and 075022 are different fonts, and you could perceive a gap between them.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by CJRocker
Looks legit to me. Remember, no one is going to fake a MIM Strat because there is no profit to be made doing so.

+1

that's a waste of both time and money just to make a marginal profit. notice the majority of chinese fakes are high dollar models (JEMs, LPs, custom shop strats)...and for all you know the person suggesting on the other forum that it might be fake could have no idea what they're talking about. dont be so paranoid TS
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
yeah cheers, its true i probably am being a bit overly suspcious....just wanted to make sure seen as I know how things on ebay can turn out

but yeah its probably not a fake tbh...so thanks for the reassurance!!
i'm glad you feel comfortable with your strat domauron and welcome to the UG.

only as a word of caution, be careful in posting links to other guitar forums - it can get you banned. this rule along with all of the other ones are in the Stickys at top of each forum type.

also, the reason i was trying to validate for you was not because it didn't look real so much as i was concerned that it was my belief that 1992 was the first year of production at that factory in mexico. so, it didn't make sense to me that your guitar made in that year would be 6 digits on top of MZ2.

and guitardaterproject.org is still new to doing Fenders and hopefully they will get better at doing strats as strats imo are notorious for having confusing serial numbers that are only posted on the headstock. the fender site has a much better explanation now then what it used to have.

good luck and buyer beware.

;
Quote by helsinki_vampir

haha... this one is funny... just put in the serial number from the '52 Reissue Hot Rod I just bought... this web site is telling me my guitar was made at the Fullerton Plant in 1960 or 1961...

Oh, just saw the note on their site that it doesn't include reissues...
-George

Gear:
'52 RI Fender Tele Hot Rod (*drool*)
(93) 1994 40th Anniversary Fender Strat (American)
Michael Kelly Patriot Q in Amberburst
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Crate V8 Palomino 5W Tube Combo
Last edited by JrGuitarMan at May 3, 2008,