my top strap button to attach my strap to is loose again. the first time, i just screwed it a bit tighter, but now it's loose again. i assume this is not normal seeing that i don't do anything stupid with my guitar onstage like throwing it around my neck or something.

what's the problem and how can i fix it ? i think that keeping on screwing it tight will eventually ruin the wood there...

btw, i'm using the strap for the guitar hero SG if that matters (works pretty darn good actually )

toothpicks.

cram as many in as will fit, add white glue and screw the strat screw back in thru the toothpicks. let set and done.

also, if you were ever going to add strap locks, NOW is the time to do it.
you dont want to fiddle with this screw again for a while.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^+1 except I usually let the glue dry overnight then sreaw the botton back on, this way if you ever need to take it off (like when adding strap locks) it comes loose easily.
+2 It does seem normal for strats for this to happen.

Strap Locks look cool and I will probably end up doing it some day but the toothpick trick works really well. I don't know if it was you JJ that I read this from a month or so back but i did it and it is rock solid. I only needed 1 and i cut it down to maybe 1/3rd size.

Also, I didn't use glue, so i guess the problem could come back but right now it works like a champ.

;
i'm not too keen on messing with glue with my strat...

i was planning on using these for strap locks, i believe becky uses these and she says it works like a charm: http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI

will that work for strap locks ?

and will tightening the screw again mess up the wood around the screw and hole ?
yeah, you have to use glue, bro.

tightening that screw is just eating away at more wood.

even with a larger screw, it's still a temp fix.
if you bring it into a shop, he's going to either use wood and glue like said above, or
for extra, he could glue and tap in a wooden dowel, then drill a brand new hole, fixing the guitar's finish after.

up to you tho.

i didnt click the link yet...

i have a few of those, they are fine, after the screw is fixed, but not really anythin that will solve the current problem.

they are cheaper at stewmac.com.

and arent the locks i was talking about. i meant a locking system like schaller.

the first 3 are the locking system. the last is the disc.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at May 1, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
yeah, you have to use glue, bro.

tightening that screw is just eating away at more wood.

even with a larger screw, it's still a temp fix.
if you bring it into a shop, he's going to either use wood and glue like said above, or
for extra, he could glue and tap in a wooden dowel, then drill a brand new hole, fixing the guitar's finish after.

up to you tho.

i didnt click the link yet...

i have a few of those, they are fine, after the screw is fixed, but not really anythin that will solve the current problem.

they are cheaper at stewmac.com.

and arent the locks i was talking about. i meant a locking system like schaller.

the first 3 are the locking system. the last is the disc.

alright then, i'll probably let a shop fix it, because i don't like messing with my own stuff .

i'm not looking to solve the problem with those dunlops, they wouldn't anyway.

i know you meant those kind of locking systems, but my question was if that dunlop ergo system would be a good substitute for locking systems like schaller that you need to drill a hole in your guitar for ?

by the way, i can't find those dunlops on stewmac ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at May 1, 2008,
Probably doesn't apply in this case, but something to consider in the future if this comes up with a "stage" guitar...

A friend of mine was having the same problem with his Epi LP. One time, after he finished a lead and whirled around to return downstage, his upper peg pulled loose for the umpteenth time, and the guitar swung around and clocked the singer in the face. The guitar then dropped to the stage, bouncing once before settling in front of the drums, having lost a 2" chunk of wood from the upper bout. Really bad night!

This was mainly a stage instrument, and not what he used in the studio, so he was more concerned with functionality than up-close cosmetics. He just wanted it to look reasonably decent from a distance, and be rugged enough for road use.

We patched the missing chunk with wood putty and spot painted it.

We fixed the pegs permanently using this method:

Choose a drill that's larger than the outside diameter of the screw shaft by a 1/16th of an inch or so. Wrap the drill bit with masking tape at a point that's about half the length of the screw, to use as a depth stop. Drill the peg hole up to the tape. Mix some epoxy and fill the hole (toothpicks are good for this). Screw the peg into the hole until it's snug, and wipe off any excess epoxy. Give it at least 24 hours to set. The pegs are now a permanent part of the guitar.

We added strap locks at the same time we did this.
^yeah wood epoxy will work too.

^^ and maybe they were discontinued at stewmac, sorry i didnt check and i think i got mine a couple years ago.

honestly, if i was working on the button, then i would go with the system rather than the disc.
my rule for my guitars is... when a button is secure, i use a disk.
after it starts to fail, i buy a set of locks, and redo the system all at once.

so far has worked for me.

and with schaller, no you dont drill. it's the same hole, just a larger screw.

so the larger screw, and the wood fill and glue, makes for a good bond.

if you hate/dont trust ur woodwork. then go to a shop, buy locks and have them install them.

it'll cost a bit more than doing it urself, but hopefully u'll get the install cheap, cause you bought the locks there.

good lick
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I don't care enough about my guitar so i just put new holes in it. Works like a charm.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
You don't HAVE to use glue. Put a match in there (head removed obviously) and just screw it in. Worked like a charm both times on my Ibanez's floating trem.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
You don't HAVE to use glue. Put a match in there (head removed obviously) and just screw it in. Worked like a charm both times on my Ibanez's floating trem.

Yuh huh I did this on my old strat - just wedged a matchstick down there and retightened the screw pushing against the match
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by The red Strat.
i'm not too keen on messing with glue with my strat...

i was planning on using these for strap locks, i believe becky uses these and she says it works like a charm: http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI

will that work for strap locks ?

and will tightening the screw again mess up the wood around the screw and hole ?

Those dunlop things are great, I use them (well not those exact ones, but it's the same design) and my strap never falls off. You need to re-tighten them occasionally but that's a 3 second job. They won't solve your loose strap button problem though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I used washers for my 'ghetto straplocks'.

So it's kinda like the dunlop one.

Only downside is that you have to unscrew the screw if you want yer strap out.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
all you need to do is get a matchstick/toothpick/kebab skewer, dip it in PVA glue, put it in the hole and snap off the excess, when dry, screw in as normal FIXED!!

i have done this several times with perfect results, and my guitar teacher (a player of 50 years) bswears by it
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.